Best way to train myself and a dog

Cosd

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sirs,

After much debate and advise, I understand your concerns, still my mind was made up a long time ago about this breed.

So, I'm not going to say or call her..(for the moment) a nice shooting dog...I will just call her...my Gorgeous Lemon

Look nice though don't they!

Cos

All the best with your dog.

You will only get out of the dog the work you put in.

I got a German Longhair Pointer, hes now 3 years old. They are bred for longer range than your PP but i take him in the beating line.

Hes doing fine and is better than some Labs and Springers i've seen. When beating in thick cover in woods the cover itself slows him down and he flushes birds that lose there nerve but also points which is great to see and the other beaters love to see it too.

He is now fine in a pigeon hide, No barking or yapping. He now just sits or lays.

Getting a Dog is like finding a Woman, You go for what you think your gonna like and then put up with the not so good points.

Be good to meet up with you and you can see what he can do.

PELTY :good:

Cos

I got a German Longhair Pointer, hes now 3 years old. They are bred for longer range than your PP but i take him in the beating line.

Hes doing fine and is better than some Labs and Springers i've seen. When beating in thick cover in woods the cover itself slows him down and he flushes birds that lose there nerve but also points which is great to see and the other beaters love to see it too.

He is now fine in a pigeon hide, No barking or yapping. He now just sits or lays.

Getting a Dog is like finding a Woman, You go for what you think your gonna like and then put up with the not so good points.

I really enjoyed your writing and the way of thinking Pelty, it will be a pleasure to meet up and walk the dogs, it would be very interesting to see how they hunt.

Mark

Cos

Hey Pelty

I didn't know you had a Pointer!

We've been saying for a while now that we need to hook up, maybe the dog will bring us together at long last :wub:

Would love to come out one day to see how yours works, especially in the hide; That's not to make a decision whether I'm getting the PP or not, but just to see how they work close up.

Cos

Hey Pelty

I didn't know you had a Pointer!

We've been saying for a while now that we need to hook up, maybe the dog will bring us together at long last :wub:

Would love to come out one day to see how yours works, especially in the hide; That's not to make a decision whether I'm getting the PP or not, but just to see how they work close up.

Cos

Wait a minute...I see love bubbles there...does this mean if the gay marriage thing works....a browning maxxus in PINK camo will be ok as a wedding present? :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Great video clip. I loved the interaction of the pup which was completely unaware of the serious business in hand. The dogs looked to be in great condition.

One question, is it better to have two dogs so that they can work in tandem as in the clip and as with other pointer breeds?

Great video clip. I loved the interaction of the pup which was completely unaware of the serious business in hand. The dogs looked to be in great condition.

One question, is it better to have two dogs so that they can work in tandem as in the clip and as with other pointer breeds?

Oh please don't send my head in a spin!! I showed my wife the clip and her first comments were "we should get two of them" :cry1:

By the way Cosd, my apology I just realised that I posted a lot and answered to much on your post, I feel like I pushed in

Mark

Not at all, you fill your boots. Your posts have been very informative, plus I need all the allies I can get :lol:

If you get two and Highbird70 gets two that will take up the entire Northern European population of them?

Dear Jdog.....you witty Sir,

You know you want one...immagine yourself in the hide with the lemon and a lovely semi-automatic shotgun...spitting cardtriges everywhere on the field ....come on..admit it.....its your darkest secret....lol

That clip pelty what did it actually show?

It didn't show a decent point and it didn't show they were actually on anything at all, compared to mine who once on point stays on point till either told to flush or till you flush them. One things for sure there would have been something there once she pointed like that.

Edited by al4x

Al4x...

I would have thought, that you would have picked up, by watching the video, that there was strong wing in that clip, you should know that pointers quarter in the wind, by picking up the scent in the wind, its quite common, when pointers work in strong wind, they tend to move a little bit more and they move if a bird starts to walk.

Decent point????, I can't comment on that, because as you said, the clip its not showing the overall events.

That clip pelty what did it actually show?

It didn't show a decent point and it didn't show they were actually on anything at all, compared to mine who once on point stays on point till either told to flush or till you flush them. One things for sure there would have been something there once she pointed like that.

Al4x, you know I like you so don't take this personal.....But how much experience do you have or actually know about the PP?

Are your negative comments based on any facts? I fully appreciate any comments, positive or negative but I'm seeing a lot of generalisation going on, not just from you I may add. Pelty has come on explaining his personal experience with another type of pointer which only reinforces my thinking that the PP can do a job trained correctly.

Cos

wind just makes things easier usually, that clip just showed extra dogs making them generally less steady and always looking about rather than concentrating.

Reading up about the PP, constantly looking round to see his master is a trait in the dog and another sign of his constant need to please, These dogs are often described as "embarrassingly affectionate" and their eagerness to please can only aid in training in my humble opinion.

I have a reasonable amount of general pointer experience Cosd but the comments were on that clip, which wasn't showing pointers working well and actually showed how to spoil them with the addition of a young dog that wasn't showing any aptitude for the job in hand. If they are going to point that should be doing so at that age, as for the sitting in a hide you will find it will but it won't enjoy it. The reason most get pointers is that they fit in somewhere with their shooting, I did for stalking and blood trailing and anything else is a bonus, GWP's are well known for tracking wounded game. beating is still working birds and my experience is much like Pelty and it causes amusement amongst the beating team and she is now well accepted as being rather useful. Training only does so much having a pointing ability for shooting pigeons is about as much use as tits on a bull, you may teach it to retrieve but probably not with as much gusto as a traditional retriever and may well have a dog that won't sit in a hide.

If you have access to a fair amount of rough shooting its a different matter

wind just makes things easier usually, that clip just showed extra dogs making them generally less steady and always looking about rather than concentrating.

If it was a steady light to medium wind, yes you would be right, most of the pointers would love that, in the clip its gusty winds, so the dog will have a on and off scent...hence all dog will tend to move a little bit more, also you have walkers(birds), partdrige..especially the french type will not hold the point for long if any, a good dog and trained well, should be able to spot a walker and the handler should reconize, in the dog behaviour, that the dog is on a walker. The puppy in the scene....is actually good for them to be in that scenario, its a training lesson, in europe, a lot of trainers do take young dogs with older dogs hunting, it is a way to teach them.

I have a reasonable amount of general pointer experience Cosd but the comments were on that clip, which wasn't showing pointers working well and actually showed how to spoil them with the addition of a young dog that wasn't showing any aptitude for the job in hand. If they are going to point that should be doing so at that age, as for the sitting in a hide you will find it will but it won't enjoy it. The reason most get pointers is that they fit in somewhere with their shooting, I did for stalking and blood trailing and anything else is a bonus, GWP's are well known for tracking wounded game. beating is still working birds and my experience is much like Pelty and it causes amusement amongst the beating team and she is now well accepted as being rather useful. Training only does so much having a pointing ability for shooting pigeons is about as much use as tits on a bull, you may teach it to retrieve but probably not with as much gusto as a traditional retriever and may well have a dog that won't sit in a hide.

If you have access to a fair amount of rough shooting its a different matter

I accept the fact that you don't like or find usefull this breed and respect your opinion Al4x, but I really don't know where you get your facts, most of my friend, with HPR, don't have a problem with the dog sitting in the hide, retriving pigeons or in rough shooting. They have put a lot of time and efforts to reach this stage.

But don't just slag of the breed just for the sake of it and without knowing or knowing very little about them.

I was expecting a different reaction from many PW members...more support in the challenge of this breed and not so much negativity, most of you didn't even know this breed since I mentioned it 3 months ago, I have seen the dogs..work them and they can be good, all depends what you want them for.

Its only a challenge because you are trying to make it do something that it won't do naturally.

Unless you have your own ground here I can't think of anywhere you can work partridges with pointers thats probably my main issue, because most places drive them they will only hold for a very short time at the start of the season till they have been walked up a couple of times. It will be a challenge for you and I hope you make a hide dog out of it

Its only a challenge because you are trying to make it do something that it won't do naturally.

All dogs are challenging and they need to be trained, some dogs are harder than others, and some will never be good shooting dogs, still I am a beliver, that any hunting dog...combined with some good training will become a reasonable hunting companion

Unless you have your own ground here I can't think of anywhere you can work partridges with pointers thats probably my main issue, because most places drive them they will only hold for a very short time at the start of the season till they have been walked up a couple of times. It will be a challenge for you and I hope you make a hide dog out of it

The PP its used on a diverse quarry species, dosen't only hunt red legs.We do have a bit of ground, where there is a lot of professional training going on and some rough shooting, I will try to make the best of it...hopefully the lemon will be some sort of fruit salad one day...will see