Walking stick caps

rtaylor

What do you guys recommend for a walking stick end? I've used some of the brass flat V shaped ones but the bottom comes off after 40 or 50 miles (which isn't long when you're doing 10-15 miles of rocky lake district walks). A friend suggested a piece of copper pipe around the edge and a screw in the bottom. Any other ideas which will last a good while?

What do you guys recommend for a walking stick end? I've used some of the brass flat V shaped ones but the bottom comes off after 40 or 50 miles (which isn't long when you're doing 10-15 miles of rocky lake district walks). A friend suggested a piece of copper pipe around the edge and a screw in the bottom. Any other ideas which will last a good while?

Hi Do you mean the ferrule at the bottom (to limit wear)??

If you use the tapered brass ferrule, try to get some 1/16" brazing rod and drill right through with a 1/16" drill bit, use a 1/4" drill to make a slight taper to each side then cut a piece of the brazing rod 1mm longer per side and peen the ends over on a block of steel/anvil/vice etc, apply epoxy first though :good:

John :)

I've had the same problem especially where they are being used in the shooting field as most people tend shove them in the ground when they get their peg so I now use a brass ferrules but drill and screw a stainless steel large head self tapping screw of 30mm x size 8 have'nt had anyone come back with coming off again .

Edited by gamekeeper1960

• 2 weeks later...

I made my father in law a few sticks, ( he must walk 10 miles a day ) he would be back every week with either the ferule missing or worn through. In the end I fitted a socket from an old socket set, I think it was a 15mm, epoxied and screwed up the middle with a large headed screw, that was about six months ago and it's still on.