HELP

drivendays

Hi guys first enquiry post on here.

On the land i shoot there are hundreds if not thousands of pigeons. Ive never seen so many. anyway im trying to decoy them with half shells and a couple of fulls.

Setting up in the standard U shape on some standing wheat which they couldnt get in. I have watched the field and established flightlines and set my hide up under it. I have also seen them feeding here.

All this yet i still cannot get them into my decoys and never have been able to. Last week shot 34 but from birds flying over the hide and they werent coming in.

So how can i get them to come in guys please help

Hi Drivendays,

I used to, like you, makeing the classic u shape, but recently been out with some PW members (expert old timers), and they rarely place the decoys in a u shape.

What they do its very simple, they face the wind holding a few decoys in their hands, and with a long swing they throw them and then they set them right on the ground, I once questioned a fellow pigeon shooter, asking why you dont do a u shape...repply was...I still have to meet a flock of pigeon that can count up to 10 and do geometrics, the funny thing its that works very well that way, but he did also say...the U shape its a refference to the wind, don't have to be perfect and as to be adapted to where you shoot in the field, to design a killing area, more important its the movement, ie...bouncers...flappers and rotary.

Mark

You're probably not doing anything wrong!

Like Highbird has said, try a different pattern to see if that helps but don't be scared to change your layout. Adding some movement to your pattern can also give them a little more confidence but in general winter decoying can be very frustrating as they are harder to decoy when they are flocked up as they are. Definitely put out as many decoys as you can get your hands on at this time of year, it's different in the summer when half a dozen can do the trick.

Things will start to pick up in a month or so as the flocks begin to break up, and they will start to decoy better.

Cos

Think like a pigeon-you say that there are large numbers so when birds enter the field they expect to see large numbers feeding,if you only have a handfull of deeks then that could be something to consider.Make sure that the birds have easy access to the pattern i.e dont put your decoys upwind and close to standing crops.With shells its best to use the spring pegs if you dont already have them and the flocked decoys are by far the best.

As has been said, movement and numbers of decoys are the key in the difficult winter shooting sessions. I have 72 half shell decoys, 10 full bodied decoys magnet, bouncers and lofting poles. if one approach doesn't work try something else. I firmly believe that in winter you cannot have too many decoys for the quarry to see and react to. Get out there and try different set ups and don't forget to report back on your progress.

Lots of decoys. But wait for the big flocks to break up.

Make sure you're decoys are all facing different directions. When birds are feeding they are all walking around. If you watch the only time real birds face one way is when they are just about to take off and fly all together.

Good luck.