Air Rifle Purchase advice needed

The Ghost

I am looking for a break barrel spring HW air rifle, I want something I can pick up and shoot the odd crow, pigeon, rabbit or magpie around some fields/farms.

Don't want to be bothered with pre-charge. Want to spend around £250 for a nice gun and scope. Located around the fens (Cambridgeshire)

It’s been many years since I had an air rifle and must admit this is proving harder to pick than my shotgun.

What can you advise on what I should get or Look for, I have asked some PW members and they said open it up on the forum…..so please help end my confusion

Edited by The Ghost

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HW77 and 97 are underlever, and considerably heavier.

The 90, 80, 95, are break barrel, and a fair bit lighter

Now, I can't speak as to the break barrel ones, as I've got a 77k in .22. Over 25 years old, lived in a barn for most of that time, and it still hammers pellet onto pellet at 35 yards. They do build a good gun.

Gunstar is just another website for trade / private sellers Some are good, some are ... not so good.

Another one (but a lot smaller) is

www.ukgunroom.com

and as nightsearcher said,

www.guntrader.co.uk

Something to consider is that any local gunshops might not advertise second-hand air rifles on the various websites, so a few phone calls might be worth your time.

As to calibre ... you could open a huge argument. I shoot .22, some hate that, and love .177.

I find that 177 pellets are a bit too fiddly for my ham-fisted approach, especially if its cold, or I'm wearing gloves

???? ??? ??? Whats the problem.

Another thread asking for opinions in choosing between a AirArms and a BSA. Two thirds of the replies positively in favour of the AirArms...so the OP goes out and buys a BSA. Just seemed a bit pointless asking and even more pointless replying!

Edited by -Mongrel-

Absolutely any air rifle that is putting out 10+ ft/lbs, with a scope of 4* magnification will be perfectly sufficient to kill pigeons, rabbits, jackdaws, magpies or crows at 35 yards. the main thing is that the gun is consistent with pellet placement.

The biggest limitation on most air rifles is the Mk I human squeezing the trigger

Hi Mongrel, I have not owned an air rifle for 40 years and have no idea what you are talking about.

In your opinion has anything changed in that time, that is my point....I need help.

I am a wizzzzard fixing PCs thats my job, and no question is ever to silly to answer for me.

Basically, somebody asked on a thread the other week about recommendations for an air rifle. They wanted to choose between a BSA and Air Arms.

Most recommended Air Arms. The person who originally asked went and got a BSA.

Some people are in a bit of a huff, they seem to forget that their opinions are only that - opinions.

Now, my opinions :

Weihrauch : Heavy, but well engineered. Possibly even over-engineered. With moderate care, it'll still be dropping rabbits when you're boxed up.

BSA : I don't like them. Quality took a big drop a few years ago, now made in Spain by Gamo. You pay a premium for the name

Air Arms : never shot one. Heard good things though

That's not gospel, same as my view on pellets. I'm sure someone reading this has a recent BSA that has fired 20,000 pellets, and is still perfect. I'm sure someone will have had a dog of a Weihrauch, too

Have a look at Hatsans Web sight very good guns for the money.

I have two a PCP AT44 10 W its excellent. And a springer 1000s Striker in .25 cal again excellent for the money.

On Gunstar page 5 Air Rifles Hatsan Dominator fixed barrel underlever and the SAS system for very low recoil.

That makes them very accurate. Very nice gun for £185 with scope.

good luck.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Well I had a HW80k for years. It was a break barrel rifle, and it was spot on. The quality is top notch. Some say a little heavy, but I personally found it ok. There was a bit of a twang from the spring, but its well known and many folk offer kits to resolve it.

Apparently they were designed for FAC power, so are over engineered.

Mine was in .22 flavour. As said, it was easier for my sausage fingers to load.

If an HW80 was good enough for the late great John Darling then it was good enough for me.

Regrettably I sold it to fund a .22 rimmy purchase and I wish I hadn't.

I too as a youngster had a BSA Meteor, and an Air Sporter, and found them ok, but have read (not experienced personally) some issues with the later BSA's. Never shot an Air Arms, but have always fancied a TX200HC as I remember reading about them when first came out as a kid.

Kind regards

Jonathan

Edited by jgguinness

Thanks lads, well explained Robbiep, I thought I had offended someone and started looking for a 410.

Honestly I am thick as *hit and need some simple advice/opinions that's all Just looked at Hatsons as well so thanks.

I shot my first 50 bag of Pigeon in a barn aged twelve with a BSA, and spent many school holidays at our local dump shooting rats.

I have a use for a good air rifle and think shooting rabbit with my 12 bore "over kill" I have seen loads on here and have no idea what it will do.

Thanks

The barn store in ryston is reopening at the end of the month, (by the stutley brothers) there putting in a air gun range to try the gun befor you pay. I'd get down there and spend time talking and trying to make sure your happy ... Things like gun star are good if you know what your looking for :good: good luck

Also you say no to pcp but. I found if you dont have a bottle or a pump To fill the gun. You go to the shop put a quid in the charity tin have a chat with the guys working there others in the shop it's a good way to get ti know others and advice from local people that know what there on about. Plus you tend to get a discount ;) then get the tank lol

Edited by Scottoj18

Weihrauch .22 or .177 is the way I will go, sorry BSA as much as I love you.

I don't consider myself thick when it comes to guns (ex royal marine) but air rifles have left me totaly confused.

I entered the debate Pump or Auto on here, as it was about my level but you airgunners must be up all night considering all the options.

Has anyone got or knows of anyone selling a Weihrauch that I could buy.....so I can eat some rabbit.