Air Rifle Purchase advice needed

The Ghost

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you honestly saying that the movement required to cock and reload a springer doesn't spook more quarry than the pull of a cocking lever? If so I'd find that hard to believe, as I've even managed to spook rabbits when recocking the S510!

I take on board and accept your comment about cost, but have to add that I've never yet had one of my guns (all PCP's of recent) fail in the field.

It only genrally takes one shot, I have seen PCP's fail on the range let alone in the field. Unexpected power loss, mag feed issues, contamination, leaks. Its a good question about the movement, stangely my best bag of crows was shot from a sitty tree with a sharp pump and it took 4 pumps per shot and loaded I pellet at a go, cant remember the number but they were all adults and I never expected to get more than one off it at a guess I got 1/2 doz. suppose if you mag feed works 100% such a gun might be better in a hide

I thought you may like to see my newly acquired .22 Weirauch HW 97 KT this has been V-mach tuned and has a custom adjustable Butt-plate.

The sights are, Nikko MOUNTMASTER 3-9x40 Zoom Rifle Scope.

Thanks again and hope to have some nicer pictures to follow when I have learned how to shoot it.

P1030442_zps68b87a8b.jpg

P1030454_zpsc478702f.jpg

P1030459_zps3afbc79d.jpg

Nice bit of kit, now keep it forever you will get little doing so called upgrades

Now you've bought your gun you will need to get used to it before using it on live prey. There is no doubting the fact that if you can learn to shoot a springer well then you can shoot anything. Regarding the usual debate, again it is a personal choice. The .177 trajectory is flatter than .22 but if you get used to it then there is no difference. Both will kill bunnies and there are pro's and cons for each. I won't go further on that one.

I used to hunt with an Air Arms S410 in .22 which accounted for many bunnies and very nice they were. That was before I went for FAC and got a .22lr rimfire. Still won't get rid of the AA though. The benefit of PCP is the multishot facility. I find single shot .177 pellets too small and fiddly to load easily, especially in the dark.

Get used to your gun and most of all ENJOY your hunting. Each to their own.

It only genrally takes one shot...

That works if there's only one target. I often find that rabbits will come out of the burrow in twos or threes, and regularly will knock one over and then get a second one that hasn't ben spooked by the pellet strike and it's mate falling over. Don't think that would happen if I was breaking a barrel to reload to be honest.

Each to their own and all that, but with air rifles I believe the advantages of a PCP outweigh the disadvantages. That said, I'm looking at springer tomorrow as if it is what they say it is, its too cheap to pass up!

That works if there's only one target. I often find that rabbits will come out of the burrow in twos or threes, and regularly will knock one over and then get a second one that hasn't ben spooked by the pellet strike and it's mate falling over. Don't think that would happen if I was breaking a barrel to reload to be honest.

Each to their own and all that, but with air rifles I believe the advantages of a PCP outweigh the disadvantages. That said, I'm looking at springer tomorrow as if it is what they say it is, its too cheap to pass up!

What is it that is said about assumption? mother of all ..........................! As someone who grew up shooting rats in mass with a break barrel, countless rabbits I can tell you that's BS. I have also used PCP (mag fed and single shot) and on a mass shooting spree little beats a simple break barrel. In deed a mag fed pcp might well get a mag full off quite quick but over two mags you will get beaten by a guy well practiced with his break barrel- especially in the dark!

I shoot and hunt with both pcp and springer. Undoubtly the pcp is much easier to use shoot in the field but there is always the chance of failure. It is a precise consistent bit of kit that delivers excellent results, the 10 shot mag does make a follow up shot easy if required(misses do happen) or the chance of a double a little easier.

My tx on the other hand is heavy, fiddly to load especially on cold days but deadly accurate. If a problem occurs it can generally be bodged in the field and hunting continues. In respect to which is better for pest control type shooting where it is the case of turn up and clear as many as you can then pcp. If you want an enjoyable rewarding hunting experience then springer everyday of the week, they just have more soul. You have tune your body with the movement of the rifle and it really does enhance the feeling of success. Bag sizes are generally the same with both but ease of pcp means you can hunt longer more comfortably but springers are without doubt much more fun.

Nice rifle mate I hope you enjoy her for many trips to come.