Air Rifle Purchase advice needed

The Ghost

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mongrel, I have not owned an air rifle for 40 years and have no idea what you are talking about.

In your opinion has anything changed in that time, that is my point....I need help.

I am a wizzzzard fixing PCs thats my job, and no question is ever to silly to answer for me.

Sorry Ghosty fella, was't having a go at you. My post was in response to Night searchers question.

I can't really help you with spring rifles, I only shoot PCP's and have done since I came back into shooting. My last springer was a BSA Meteor!

Have a look at Hatsans Web sight very good guns for the money.

I have two a PCP AT44 10 W its excellent. And a springer 1000s Striker in .25 cal again excellent for the money.

On Gunstar page 5 Air Rifles Hatsan Dominator fixed barrel underlever and the SAS system for very low recoil.

That makes them very accurate. Very nice gun for £185 with scope.

good luck.

As another more than happy Hatsan AT44 owner,I agree 100% with NS on this one !

ATB

The HW97 K that golfshot can put you on is very good.

Have a look on YOU TUBE at SI Pittaways or Vermin Hunters he is an excellent shot.

And he has a HW97KT. One of his vids is hitting bottle tops at 65 yds prone with his HW97KT.

He has had his tuned at sandwell fieldsports if i remember correctly for £65. It came back silky smooth and less recoil.

PS

If you Google Sandwell fieldsports one of the first ones is Si Pittaways visit to them.

And the tuning of a HW97KT that they do.

(ie) polishing replacing the main spring and tuning for £60 plus £15 P&P. Top vid.

It might be an idea that any gun you like the look of.

Have a look on You Tube chances are theres a vid on it.

But at the end of the day the only thing to do is to try a few Rifles in a gun shop.

To see if they feel right when you shoulder them.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

My advice would be to at least pick up a TX200 and try it-then get one in .177.If you cannot find one then HW80 or 97 come close-the 90 has a gas ram and is just added hassle.Other guns to look out for-Original 45,BSA Mercury S,Annie 335 (would need tuning),AA pro sport or pro-elite (rare as hens teeth but worth it if you find one)-dont be afraid to buy online-the distance selling regs mean that if,for ANY reason ,you are not happy then you can return the gun.MOST gunshops are trustworthy these days and cannot afford bad feedback.

Edited by bruno22rf

In fairness nothing much has changed in the 30+ years following the introduction of the HW80. The .177 v .22 debate raged then but came down in favour of .22 as FT had yet to take hold. Simply put once people get used to something they tend to stick to what they know, back in the 70's and early 80's that was very much .22 coz it kills better! after field target shooting took hold it became more slanted to .177 as it gives 5 yds trajectory advantage. The HW80 is still the most recommended spring vermin gun after all those years - this tells a tale! As regards price don't forget the HW35 I have seen nice examples go for a song, it can suffer from barrel droop but you can compensate for that with mounts. Every shooter should have an air rifle

"Nothing much has changed in 30 years?" Kent? Did you miss the introduction of the PCP? :yes: +The HW35 does'nt "suffer" from barrel droop-the gun was made that way and purpose built one piece mounts are the way to go.The 80 is a giant killer in the world of Airguns and I used one for near 10 years until I replaced it with a .177 Original 45,a gun that has remained one of the most under-rated Airguns of all time.As for .22 being a better killer,Kent,I dont imagine that either of us want to go there..... :friends:

"Nothing much has changed in 30 years?" Kent? Did you miss the introduction of the PCP? :yes: +The HW35 does'nt "suffer" from barrel droop-the gun was made that way and purpose built one piece mounts are the way to go.The 80 is a giant killer in the world of Airguns and I used one for near 10 years until I replaced it with a .177 Original 45,a gun that has remained one of the most under-rated Airguns of all time.As for .22 being a better killer,Kent,I dont imagine that either of us want to go there..... :friends:

I still say it hasn't changed as this very guy asking for a springer not wanting the paraphernalia, hassle and extra cost of PCP. BTW pcp was about over 100 yrs ago so no nothing has changed in fact and theory. did the theoben gas ram replace the spring gun as predicted? no! Did the PCP? No! Look what most lads want to slot a few rats or ferals and what they want to spend. Is a pcp more consistant shot to shot? no! Is it more reliable? No! The only thing in its favour is its easier for the less practiced to shoot acceptably with IF they put up with bottles, filling and over double the bill.

The HW35 was not made that way but a lot suffer from it. at the time it was made open sights were the norm and as such the issue wasn't fully considered, I have owned a few and can only remember one that needed droop compensation. The HW35 when you get used to the latch is quieter to load than many springers and equally as fast. Break barrels like those on the fenmans lock up like artillery which isn't always ideal, my own HW80 was modified at the breech by Steve Pope for smoother quieter cocking along with a heap of other stuff besides but I don't think this guy is after spending quite so much on his rig.

I had an Air Arms TX 200 Hunter Carbine up until a short while ago, it was the most accurate rifle I had ever had, not saying the others mentioned are not, just my personal experience. Mine was a .177 and it despatched pigeons and bunnies cleanly. Any half decent rifle will do the job if you place the pellet where it needs to go. My only criticism of the TX was its weight, a bit hefty to hump around the fields all day. I tried an HW77 and have to say I was impressed, seemingly accurate and noticeably lighter than the AA...just my twopennyworth :)

My reference to the "introduction" of the PCP was not in relation to the OP's requirements rather a response to your post regarding the fact that not much has changed-PCP's may well have been available in Roman times but how many were in existence?Cars were available over 100 years ago but did'nt really make much difference for 60 years to the average Joe.The PCP rules the roost now,like it or not,and you would stand out a mile in a top level competition if you were to use a springer,with the addition of a regulator the shot to shot variation of a PCP is negligable.I'm going to email Weirauch and ask about the barrel droop on a 35-I have never seen one without it?As for mods to your HW80 to make cocking quieter-I used to wrap my left hand around the breach before tapping the barrel down if I needed a second shot at a Rabbit-works a treat but then I;m a cheapskate.Not sure where the reference to the gas ram came from-I certainly never considered changing my spring for one but that was a long time ago and I struggled to change my pants with any gusto back then.

Edited by bruno22rf

My reference to the "introduction" of the PCP was not in relation to the OP's requirements rather a response to your post regarding the fact that not much has changed-PCP's may well have been available in Roman times but how many were in existence?Cars were available over 100 years ago but did'nt really make much difference for 60 years to the average Joe.The PCP rules the roost now,like it or not,and you would stand out a mile in a top level competition if you were to use a springer,with the addition of a regulator the shot to shot variation of a PCP is negligable.I'm going to email Weirauch and ask about the barrel droop on a 35-I have never seen one without it?As for mods to your HW80 to make cocking quieter-I used to wrap my left hand around the breach before tapping the barrel down if I needed a second shot at a Rabbit-works a treat but then I;m a cheapskate.Not sure where the reference to the gas ram came from-I certainly never considered changing my spring for one but that was a long time ago and I struggled to change my pants with any gusto back then.

It don't rule the roost in terms of volume sales and its good fun winning competitively in FT against PCP's, takes a good experienced hand but all the great springers will do 8fps variation through a full tin of pellets - try that with a pcp! they are also ready to go 24-7. I am sure the Germans will deny the issue even exists (though it does) do you not remember the HW35 FT model with the adjustable cheek piece and Butt?

a little bit of advice only,,,, for £250 get yourself an Air Arms s200,great piece of kit and have stood the test of time,if you want a springer get the HW 80 but keep our eye on the power as they tent to creep over the 12ftlb limit

good luck with whatever you choose

Kent, have you been asleep the last 30 years,air rifles have changed in a massive fashion my friend, even springers

Apologies for straying from the OP's thread-last comment,Ghost.You are correct in your statement,Kent,PCP's do not rule the roost in terms of sales volume,but nor does the Lamborghini Gallardo in relation to the Ford Focus,but which is the better car? I am also impressed by a decent springers ability to achieve an 8fps variation over a tin of pellets,but when,In your shooting career,has this been a major advantage?besides,I am sure that it could be done with a PCP by extending the air chamber if such a feature were a necessity.Respect to you,Kent,for an adult exchange of views without resorting to petty insults-this forum needs more members like you,ATB-bruno.

Edited by bruno22rf

Many thanks everyone for your advice, I have learned alot from some very passionate airgunners.

I was sent a PM from a couple of you to seek out FENBOY and ask his advice as he is local to me, afterall thats what forums are for.

I was given some very good advice as he stopped me buying no less than six air rifles for various reasons.

He has sorted me out with a very nice tuned HW97kt from an airgun forum....after seeing them on youtube it is every thing I wanted and more.

Many thanks Pigeon Watch & Fenboy for giving me your time & advice

Many thanks everyone for your advice, I have learned alot from some very passionate airgunners.

I was sent a PM from a couple of you to seek out FENBOY and ask his advice as he is local to me, afterall thats what forums are for.

I was given some very good advice as he stopped me buying no less than six air rifles for various reasons.

He has sorted me out with a very nice tuned HW97kt from an airgun forum....after seeing them on youtube it is every thing I wanted and more.

Many thanks Pigeon Watch & Fenboy for giving me your time & advice

That will do!

a little bit of advice only,,,, for £250 get yourself an Air Arms s200,great piece of kit and have stood the test of time,if you want a springer get the HW 80 but keep our eye on the power as they tent to creep over the 12ftlb limit

good luck with whatever you choose

Kent, have you been asleep the last 30 years,air rifles have changed in a massive fashion my friend, even springers

If this is the case why do the majority still recommend a 30+ yr old model the HW80? The HW77 is getting on that way now also the TX200 this came after but it has to be 20+. As regards hunting its diminishing returns it don't matter how fancy and computer controlled any PCP gets the pellets and the power are the same and vermin still dies the same. I am trying to think how old my MK1 GC2 sportsmatch would be if I still owned it - yet this could still prove more than able in top flight FT shooting. I am not speaking from lack of knowledge of what has occurred I assure you of that

Apologies for straying from the OP's thread-last comment,Ghost.You are correct in your statement,Kent,PCP's do not rule the roost in terms of sales volume,but nor does the Lamborghini Gallardo in relation to the Ford Focus,but which is the better car? I am also impressed by a decent springers ability to achieve an 8fps variation over a tin of pellets,but when,In your shooting career,has this been a major advantage?besides,I am sure that it could be done with a PCP by extending the air chamber if such a feature were a necessity.Respect to you,Kent,for an adult exchange of views without resorting to petty insults-this forum needs more members like you,ATB-bruno.

not a lot of people are aware of the consistency of a good spring gun, fully tuned and modified guns can do even better than 8fps! I will tell you were it makes a difference 1. when you have a short opertunity to shoot a magpie in your yard or a Grey squirrel ripping your bird feeder apart etc, no checking charge just grab the gun 2. when you clearing ferals by the wheel barrow full from barns and you don't have to re-fill or top up 3. keeping variation in single figures is important look at the effort pcp users go to find the "optimum power curve"- it effects accuracy 20-30 fps is not uncommon and we all know how suddenly things go real squiffy at the end . IMO too many are lead blindly down the PCP route, I have had plenty but to be brutally honest in the field using 12ft lb they give a practised shot nothing extra in terms of dead vermin cost a lot more to purchase and are more prone to sudden unexpected failure. Thanks for the kind comments it shows maturity and intellect on your behalf- those who become rude and insulting are just out of options and out of their depth

...the PCP ... they give a practised shot nothing extra in terms of dead vermin ...

Are you honestly saying that the movement required to cock and reload a springer doesn't spook more quarry than the pull of a cocking lever? If so I'd find that hard to believe, as I've even managed to spook rabbits when recocking the S510!

I take on board and accept your comment about cost, but have to add that I've never yet had one of my guns (all PCP's of recent) fail in the field.

I thought you may like to see my newly acquired .22 Weirauch HW 97 KT this has been V-mach tuned and has a custom adjustable Butt-plate.

The sights are, Nikko MOUNTMASTER 3-9x40 Zoom Rifle Scope.

Thanks again and hope to have some nicer pictures to follow when I have learned how to shoot it.

P1030442_zps68b87a8b.jpg

P1030454_zpsc478702f.jpg

P1030459_zps3afbc79d.jpg