Shotmaker dimensions

to all. looking to start to make one of these pots but before i start i need to know if it is possible to purchase a set of drippers. looking to make No.6 shot or No.6.5 and require a set of six

There are several enthusiasts on here who will make and sell you a set of drippers. Someone is soon to PM you.

Just out of interest, I made 20 kg of lovely skeet shot today from old and new lead flashing and using a diluted fabcon/water coolant at a high temperature. Graded dried, graphited, polished and ready in an hour.

You will love this hobby. Plenty of good advice on these pages.

Edited by Floating Chamber

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a massive lead head as it is.

i do fishing weights divers belt weights boat keals and buttlet heads and so on, i have also done loads of other metal castings too.

shot making is just the next step as i do loads of reloading any way.

the thing is at the moment i am unable to resolve the drippers so i need to buy them before agreeing to organise the rest of the shot maker items.

you are right someone did call and we are all go now

i am a massive lead head as it is.

i do fishing weights divers belt weights boat keals and buttlet heads and so on, i have also done loads of other metal castings too.

shot making is just the next step as i do loads of reloading any way.

the thing is at the moment i am unable to resolve the drippers so i need to buy them before agreeing to organise the rest of the shot maker items.

you are right someone did call and we are all go now

Excellent!

i was curroupted at a young age. lol

my uncle was a dive club lead head and metal caster and taught me to work the metals

when used to have a class one i used to use lead as my main head choice as i used to run so much of it.

must admit i keep it soft and dont usually harden it. easier on the gun and my shoulder when they are light loads. i was also looking at doing larger shots to, whats the sort of limit to a shot maker before casting into single moulds instead, i was looking to pigeon loads so number 5 shot was my ideal with either side 4 and 6 ok too.

i can get free hulls from the clay ground and free shoot from the garage, that just leaves me powder and primers and wads to buy,

i was curroupted at a young age. lol

my uncle was a dive club lead head and metal caster and taught me to work the metals

when used to have a class one i used to use lead as my main head choice as i used to run so much of it.

must admit i keep it soft and dont usually harden it. easier on the gun and my shoulder when they are light loads. i was also looking at doing larger shots to, whats the sort of limit to a shot maker before casting into single moulds instead, i was looking to pigeon loads so number 5 shot was my ideal with either side 4 and 6 ok too.

i can get free hulls from the clay ground and free shoot from the garage, that just leaves me powder and primers and wads to buy,

A 1mm dripper will make about size 4.5 shot and is about the limit for shotmaking this way because it is on the verge of streaming rather than dripping. Keep the lead level lowish and not too hot. It gets thru a lot of lead quickly and I only use 5 drippers instead of 7 to be able to keep up.

for others reading but not wanting you can buy collected/cleaned and graphated shot from a ground for £1.50 a kilo off ebay from doncaster. on avarage i should think its No.7/8 shot, not a bad price if your local or passing through

The shot from Doncaster is cheap but the package I bought was thick with lead oxide, very toxic and not the stuff you want spreading around your workshop or breathing in. I melted it down and redropped it.

A 1mm dripper will make about size 4.5 shot and is about the limit for shotmaking this way because it is on the verge of streaming rather than dripping. Keep the lead level lowish and not too hot. It gets thru a lot of lead quickly and I only use 5 drippers instead of 7 to be able to keep up.

The shot from Doncaster is cheap but the package I bought was thick with lead oxide, very toxic and not the stuff you want spreading around your workshop or breathing in. I melted it down and redropped it.

i was thinking if i brought it to wash it and re-clean it, seemed good value at £1.50 a kilo. its the drive and fuel that kills it for me and the fact i have just spent £20 on electrics and £30 on drippers and a £10 for the steel welder to do the pot

i like the idea of making drippers myself but for now i dont have the tools or the areas to do it so i just want one set as a starter set

Because of the smaller sized drills small shot drippers are harder to make and broken drills are commonplace.

I have found the best way is to use standard set screws rather than stainless and anneal them first by heating to cherry red and leaving to cool, they seem much softer that way.

HSS-Co drills are best but very dear in sub mm sizes. I get my drills from Richon tools now and the M35 steel seems to work quite well http://richontools.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=35_86

I use 3.2mm cobalt drills down the length and 1mm cobalt drills for larger shot can both be bought cheaply from Toolstation

Edited by sitsinhedges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Mine are stainless steel with copper washer the drills are £10 each one might do 20 droppers the next one 1 it's a lottery but hss are next to useless mine are cobalt

Deershooter

I have 4 already to go just need to make 2 more

Deershooter

can i buy a set of your drippers please shot size 6 now going build a shotmaker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So for anyone that is interested here is a picture of the second batch of shot produced on my fuitloop made shot maker to the plans on this thread (i assume).

First batch yesterday was a joke, drips kept sticking to the ramp. I did some more reading on the forums last night and got up today with renewed enthusiasm.

First thing i did was put the heat on in my insulated shed, then when shed was toasty i switched my PID controlled shot maker on and got her up to 350 degrees centigrade.

I used a decent mask for breathing purposes as i had all the windows and door shut to avoid drafts.

low and behold the two drippers i was using both started to drip at a good rate and no sticking to the ramp. after a few minutes the drips would start sticking but a swipe or two with the copper grease and they where running again.

to say i'm pleased is an understatement, my only slight gripe is the shot is slightly smaller than 7.5 so 8-9 at a guess.

IMG_20170108_212751_zps6lkg822k.jpg

Edited by Simuk

So for anyone that is interested here is a picture of the second batch of shot produced on my fuitloop made shot maker to the plans on this thread (i assume).

First batch yesterday was a joke, drips kept sticking to the ramp. I did some more reading on the forums last night and got up today with renewed enthusiasm.

First thing i did was put the heat on in my insulated shed, then when shed was toasty i switched my PID controlled shot maker on and got her up to 350 degrees centigrade.

I used a decent mask for breathing purposes as i had all the windows and door shut to avoid drafts.

low and behold the two drippers i was using both started to drip at a good rate and no sticking to the ramp. after a few minutes the drips would start sticking but a swipe or two with the copper grease and they where running again.

to say i'm pleased is an understatement, my only slight gripe is the shot is slightly smaller than 7.5 so 8-9 at a guess.

IMG_20170108_212751_zps6lkg822k.jpg

hi sim glad to see you are up and running . to get the drippers to produce larger shot try a little less lead in the pan to reduce the head pressure.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi hapapiken i managed to get it sorted after a lot of cusing and swearing the thermo coupling was not working and the sight i got info from was giving wrong details now sorted just got to find time to make some shot.

Thank you for video very helpful.tony

• 9 months later...