Shotmaker dimensions

The pots I've made are out of either 3mm mild or stainless steel. In this example I got some 150x3mm mild steel strip 165mm long and cut a 75mm radius on two corners.

I then copied this onto a couple of bits of scrap plywood to make a former to bend some 40mmx3mm mild steel strip around to make the walls.

002_zps29a85749.jpg

Takes a bit of fiddling with pinching it in a vice to get it exact but eventually you end up with a near perfect shape to wrap around the base. The ends can then be cut to exact length and the piece for the front cut.

003_zpsfe29a464.jpg

Then cut a piece of 30mmx3mm strip for the ramp then off to the welders to get it stuck together.

Then it looks like this.

003_zps30664e79.jpg

Edited by sitsinhedges

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is fascinating.

Does anyone know of a source in the U.K. Where I can buy a shot maker ready to use.I would love to be able to produce my own quality shot. I pretty much reload all of my own cartridges, and like everyone else, the cost of shot is becoming crippling expence,to the point were its no longer cost effective for 12gauge spoting ammo. I do still save on my 28gauge reloads.

thanks in advance for reading this.

Any information will be gratefully received.

Cheers

The pots I've made are out of either 3mm mild or stainless steel. In this example I got some 150x3mm mild steel strip 165mm long and cut a 75mm radius on two corners.

I then copied this onto a couple of bits of scrap plywood to make a former to bend some 40mmx3mm mild steel strip around to make the walls.

002_zps29a85749.jpg

Takes a bit of fiddling with pinching it in a vice to get it exact but eventually you end up with a near perfect shape to wrap around the base. The ends can then be cut to exact length and the piece for the front cut.

003_zpsfe29a464.jpg

Then cut a piece of 30mmx3mm strip for the ramp then off to the welders to get it stuck together.

Then it looks like this.

003_zps30664e79.jpg

Hi Mate. I'm in the middle of making my own shot maker and would like to know what distance are the hole's up from the ramp. Thanks mate. Malc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brilliant thread very interesting and informative.

But not much info on the electrical side of things.

Are there any pictures showing how to build the electrical side of the shotmaker because i have no idea how a electrical oven ring fits onto a simmer stat.

Cheers

Daz

Have you got a simmerstat yet?

• 1 month later...

The best and safest coolant to use is cheap fabric conditioner. I used to get Easy Iron brand but now the price has gone up i get the 1 litre square bottles of Morrisons own brand. It's blue in colour and about 50p per litre. Makes great shot.

Thanks mate. Who would have thought it. Fabric conditioner?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...