Shotmaker dimensions

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Found this while on a research mission to build a shot maker looks great how are those that have 1 getting on with it? I have stacks of lead from jobs over the years never scrapped it so have been thinking about reloading as a hobbie more than anything else

What a FOOL I AM was at the top of the page the whole time

Edited by daystate 177

• 2 months later...

been looking through this thread and many others

is this the type of heater element you guys use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOKER-RING-ELEMENT-1800-Watt-4-turn-Radiant-Spiral-/140563797699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ba4156c3

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Inch-Cooker-Ring-Spiral-Radiant-Element-3-Turn-Single-Boiling-Ring-Plate-A5288-/110982713171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d715cf53

and what is it sat in or on,

the pic controller is the easy bit as i have seen them and used them before

been looking through this thread and many others

is this the type of heater element you guys use

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOKER-RING-ELEMENT-1800-Watt-4-turn-Radiant-Spiral-/140563797699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ba4156c3

or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Inch-Cooker-Ring-Spiral-Radiant-Element-3-Turn-Single-Boiling-Ring-Plate-A5288-/110982713171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d715cf53

and what is it sat in or on,

the pic controller is the easy bit as i have seen them and used them before

The first one would be better as it has a higher output, build the pot to suit its size. The elements used to sit on soft fire brick but another forum member came up with the idea of using a Thermalite block from the local builders merchants. They don't last as long but are cheap and easy to source and to cut to size. I have a pin in the bottom of my pot that drops into a socket in the base to stop it slipping but still easy to lift off to empty.

007.jpg

Edited by sitsinhedges

thats a brilliant picture and one that i was missing many thanks, the next question is with the pic controller and thermocouple where does that sit between ring and pot or on pot or in pot

My PID is a bit lashed up at the minute but the thermocouple just sits in a bit of brass plate bent so it clips on the front wall of the pot and lets the thermocouple sit in the molten lead. This is the ebay PID, 121481831049. Comes with Chinese instructions but English ones are easy to find and there are several set up videos on youtube.

Great thread.

A lot of input. Our apnea diving club plans to build or buy a shot maker for our neck weights. Basically it is lead shot in bicycle tubes. Maybe some body wants to sell his maker or some droppers every offer is welcome.

Have a great evening and thanks to everybody

Tody

Great thread.

A lot of input. Our apnea diving club plans to build or buy a shot maker for our neck weights. Basically it is lead shot in bicycle tubes. Maybe some body wants to sell his maker or some droppers every offer is welcome.

Have a great evening and thanks to everybody

Tody

Shotmaking to make ballast would be easy because it doesn't need to be hard or consistent. You can use pure lead and large 1mm drippers to turn out a good volume of shot in no time. You could also drip it straight into hot water as minor surface imperfections wouldn't matter either.

Edited by sitsinhedges

We already tried it to drop it in water in a convenient height but it made lead with some spikes. And those spikes made punctures in the rubber tubes and hurted the divers. So we used again the commercial shots for 8 euros per kilo.

We did a few test with different divers and both commercial and spiky homemade shots and the results in diving distance were in one case over 10 percent better without those spikes.

From my point of view the worst disadvantage is the leaking of the lead weight if you have a hole in the tube. It turns your dive bag in a mess.

For scuba diving in jackets you could use of course the spiky stuff no problem.

Tobi

We already tried it to drop it in water in a convenient height but it made lead with some spikes. And those spikes made punctures in the rubber tubes and hurted the divers. So we used again the commercial shots for 8 euros per kilo.

We did a few test with different divers and both commercial and spiky homemade shots and the results in diving distance were in one case over 10 percent better without those spikes.

From my point of view the worst disadvantage is the leaking of the lead weight if you have a hole in the tube. It turns your dive bag in a mess.

For scuba diving in jackets you could use of course the spiky stuff no problem.

Tobi

If you are getting spikes (teardrops) it's because the lead is catching the edge of the ramp as it leaves it. You want to make sure the ramp is within 5mm of the coolant, remove any burrs from the edge of the ramp then lubricate it with chalk as a minimum or better still copper-slip or a graphite paste. The shot wants to be gently eased into the coolant, not hurtled into it.

Hi all, I've been reading this thread with great interest, & really fancy having ago at making some shot myself now :-)

A couple of questions, is the lead for the shot just plain lead or do you need to mix it with something ?

The other is does anyone have a pan they want to sell ?

Any help greatly appreciated as usual :-) Cheers Dan.

Hi all, I've been reading this thread with great interest, & really fancy having ago at making some shot myself now :-)

A couple of questions, is the lead for the shot just plain lead or do you need to mix it with something ?

The other is does anyone have a pan they want to sell ?

Any help greatly appreciated as usual :-) Cheers Dan.

Most of us use scrap linotype which is the printing type used before the advent of computers and ink jet printers to harden the lead because it is made from lead but with a high % of antimony included meaning you can mix it 1-4 with lead and still get very hard shot. Finding it is the problem as it's getting scarce now.

Adequate shot may be made from lead flashing and water pipe. In fact, I use nothing but these materials these days. The clays still break and the birds drop.

im with you fc I have got a load of old lead pipe and had a good result with that on its own and the pigeon's and clays don't like it up um lol

• 2 weeks later...