Countryfile Now

Sean Richo

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont no any rich farmers,seems the only ones makin it are the one with 1000,s of acres my shooting partner owns a farm but its small and couldn,t possibly make a living from it,so its rented to someone to work an even he,s struggling to get by on all the bits he rents farmings a tough game,you dont clock off an on like others workers.

Yes and FairPlay to him. Why do you dislike him so much?

At the end of the day he is earning a living to look after his family just like the rest of us.

I dislike the way he got the job. In a word, nepotism. He got the job at the BBC because his Dad had it before him. Call it the BBC Dan Snow, Zoe Ball effect. Joe Public was never interviewed for the job.

Anybody sick of farmers crying poverty

Unbelievable post, given that without them this forum would not exist unless it was for twitchers. Assuming the op is not a troll, and as I actually spend the time to talk to them and understand how the balance sheet works the answer is no.

Edited by turbo33

Really? In all the land there is no person better able to do it?

Let's recall a female presenter was kicked off this show because she had too many wrinkles. Ability never enters into it. It's showbiz after all!

I have met Adam Henson, and I have heard him speak at conferences, and I was very impressed. I know people who do business with him who all speak very highly of him. He does have to toe the BBC line occasionally which frustrates him enormously and the 'Adam's perfect farm' presentation is more the work of the BBC than his. And he applied for the job on Countryfile after seeing an advert and went through a lot of interviews. His father worked on 'Animal Magic' not Coutryfile.I think he does a good job in general, and at least has some real world experience, unlike the wrinkly woman who was ditched in 2008 for not being good enough for what had moved from a midweek lunchtime filler to become a primetime show, 7 years after Henson started - he wasn't brought in to replace her. Matt Baker is also of farming stock. Michaela Strachan was binned because she just wanted to talk about fluffy kittens and wouldn't report on anything related to meat production or the like. We just need to get rid of Craven now...

I have met Adam Henson, and I have heard him speak at conferences, and I was very impressed. I know people who do business with him who all speak very highly of him. He does have to toe the BBC line occasionally which frustrates him enormously and the 'Adam's perfect farm' presentation is more the work of the BBC than his. And he applied for the job on Countryfile after seeing an advert and went through a lot of interviews. His father worked on 'Animal Magic' not Coutryfile.I think he does a good job in general, and at least has some real world experience, unlike the wrinkly woman who was ditched in 2008 for not being good enough for what had moved from a midweek lunchtime filler to become a primetime show, 7 years after Henson started - he wasn't brought in to replace her. Matt Baker is also of farming stock. Michaela Strachan was binned because she just wanted to talk about fluffy kittens and wouldn't report on anything related to meat production or the like. We just need to get rid of Craven now...

Totally agree on Craven.

I'd just like to join in on this, purely from my/our point of view..

It really annoys me this whole 'you never see a poor farmer' ****. As has clearly been pointed out, you have to keep up with the times etc. I'm a keeper by choice but farmer by trade and still farm in between.

Our farm has been in the name and blood for generations and generations. I have a large family and am the only boy. I will inevitably take over the farm when my old man can't do much more. He did the same when his father past away, and then again when his brother did.

Our farm is in a family trust. This trust has been running since it was started. As with my father, when the farm is passed onto me, I then take on the hundreds of thousands of pounds of debt. We owe money left right and centre and have diversed so much that the farming is nearly coming a back line thing which is NOT how I imagined my life 10/15 years ago! My dad hated farming, but went into it for the family tradition. I too will do the same but I do have a passion for it.

We have no money, we struggle, BUT we do it! What's worse is we do it for people that all they seem to do is complain!

We spend all year looking after a crop that may fail, putting all out money into it, then have 3 months IF THAT to get it in and get our money back.

Some people really have NO idea what it's like. I'm a 24 yr old lad that has grown up on the farm and I can tell you now, it's not easy and its hard. I don't do as much as I could on the farm at the moment because my father wants me to enjoy myself while I can because I'm going to be tied here for the rest of my life! How many of you guys have grown up with your future tied up for you knowing that your going to spend the rest of your life in debt, fighting for any revenue you can, to then have people complain about it 365 days a year.

We moan because we have to!

When you pay £40 a pint of milk and £40 a loaf of bread because its all being imported because farmers have been driven to bankruptcy, you'll have noone to blame but yourselves!

Rant over.

The Single Farm Payment, the current farming subsidy, is an area based payment and is not linked to production. It is around £100/acre.

and is not therefore a subsidy because it is possible not to crop/produce, comply with cross compliance and receive the single farm payment. Economically this is not viable for a businesses as even by not incurring variable costs associated with growing crops the fixed costs of the business would exceed the income from the SPF.