Pump Club

thepasty

Hello fellow pumpers!

I thought it would be good to have a place for us pumpers to discuss and share all things pump.... the good, the bad and the ugly...

Shall I start?

I've got a 1984 Mossberg 500AG, 24" barrel with the old school c-lect chock system, what I love about this thing is I can drag it through the mud day after day and yet it keeps trucking, it hasnt skipped a beat since I've had it and I've sent ALOT of lead skyward...

The C-lect choke has even proven itself as I can go from shooting rough one minute where things happen close in and fast to being out in the open fields minutes later where a tighter choke can come in handy.

The only bad point is the forend (action slide?) is a bit rattely, I can let that slide tho (no pun intended!) :)

shes quickly becoming "Old Faithfull" :)

P1020281.JPG

Edited by thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good idea!

My first gun was a Winchester 101 over under. I bought it after endless advice on internet forums from people who didn't know me and who I probably shouldnt have listened to :)

It bored me, so I bought a Mossberg 500 in synthetic, it was good fun and I learned to shoot it pretty well. After that I bought a Remington 870 Wingmaster, I shot it for many years, and still own it, my best scores being a 45 / 50 at sporting clays and a few 25s at skeet , plus two third places in a local competition, with 100 score made up of 50 sporting, 25 skeet and 25 DTL with a single shot (thankfully!)

I will always keep the 870, it is a marvel of simplicity and design.

I now also own and shoot a Supernova, which I've spent a few months getting used to, my scores are coming up now, high 30's at sporting and low 20's at skeet.

It's a much more complicated gun than the 870, but does have some very nice touches, not least the stock which is adjustable not only for point of aim, but also from right handed to left handed.

Good times :)

Had a mossy just like yours 28 years ago!

Just got me express 870 now in 20g.

pigeon2011001.jpg

U

How have you found the 870 express? One has come up locally that my brother is thinking about grabbing, from my reading its the same internals as the more expensive 870 wingmaster but with less finishing/polishing on the parts, hows the action? I also read there were some problems with the ejector on some, has your been reliable? Hows the matt finish holding up?

I do like its matt finish and clean lines :)

cheers

Steve

Edited by thepasty

I'm told once the Express has been run in a bit it's fine, also that a polish of the chamber can stop cartridges sticking when it gets hot. I even had that when I bought a new (multichoke) barrel for my WM, sometimes cartridges wouldn't eject, but after maybe 500 rounds it was fine. That was at least 20,000 rounds ago by the way :)

cool thread,

my first shotgun was a manufrance rapid, nice shotgun but didnt fit me very well in that i couldnt hit much with it, sold it...

i now have a 79' (i think) 870 wing master, all stock, nice wood and in good nick, its my only good so does clay and rough shooting, good points... i love it, bad points, noticed a bit of pitting in the barrel and its fixed choke and 2 3/4 chamber

any sources of another barrel? couldnt find them on midway any more....

5080f13a.jpg

wing3.jpg

FFFAD92E-4FB2-4501-9953-0D6298EB4026-1234-000000C43136B3F2.jpg

Edited by andy198712

It's a much more complicated gun than the 870, but does have some very nice touches, not least the stock which is adjustable not only for point of aim, but also from right handed to left handed.

Good times :)

More complicated in what way? more component parts? does it field strip like the older deisgned 870's and 500's?

More complicated in what way? more component parts? does it field strip like the older deisgned 870's and 500's?

The Supernova comes apart far more like a Benelli semiauto than an 870. Hard to explain, but check this out -

The 870 comes apart in like 4 bits, not the same thing at all!

The Benelli also has some nice things, like if you want to swap the cartridge in the chamber you can hold down a button and eject the cart without loading another from the magazine, which is very handy. I think the barrel is chrome lined unlike the 870 making cleaning an absolute doddle. Also as I said earlier, the stock is fully adjustable and has the comfortech stuff for absorbing recoil.

I bought another barrel from Edgar brothers, but it was new and cost £300, nearly as much as the gun!!

I have a spare fixed half choke 28" barrel if you're interested?

i ideally wanted 24in but dont know if one is made like that. as you say new is pricey! more then my gun anyways. whats your 28 like?

i ideally wanted 24in but dont know if one is made like that. as you say new is pricey! more then my gun anyways. whats your 28 like?

Not looked at it in ages but it was fine last I looked! I have a 26" on it nowadays which is better I think, and a 24" on the Benelli, which is good too. Overall both guns are about the same length.

I'm told once the Express has been run in a bit it's fine, also that a polish of the chamber can stop cartridges sticking when it gets hot. I even had that when I bought a new (multichoke) barrel for my WM, sometimes cartridges wouldn't eject, but after maybe 500 rounds it was fine. That was at least 20,000 rounds ago by the way :)

The one we're looking at has only had 20 or so carts through it so I was thinking of giving the internals a good polish with the likes of a dremel multitool to take off any rough edges... should speed up the bedding in process?

i read of some people using valve grind paste and racking it a lot.... then clean very well but seems a bit uncontroled?

Not looked at it in ages but it was fine last I looked! I have a 26" on it nowadays which is better I think, and a 24" on the Benelli, which is good too. Overall both guns are about the same length.

held a 24in WM and loved it, sadly it was shortened by cutting the barrel and although the guy said it grouped well considering i still dont know.... although it would remove my pitting issue at the end of my barrel!

think the barrel could be tapped for chokes?

Edited by andy198712

The one we're looking at has only had 20 or so carts through it so I was thinking of giving the internals a good polish with the likes of a dremel multitool to take off any rough edges... should speed up the bedding in process?

Someting very gentle is all you need, even a bit of chrome polish probably.