Pump Club

thepasty

I owned a winchester 120 sold it two years ago in a moment of madness. Regretted it and lo and behold it turned up at gunshop exact same gun. Needless to say its back in my cabinet

I wish I could find some of my regretted past guns, its true, you don't miss them 'til they're gone! How about a pic of the Prodigal Winnie?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a winchester sxp field and want to attach a sling. But there is an issue the gun has no swivel studs. Can anyone tell me if there is anything that i can use as i don't want to drill holes in the stock. My friend has the sxp black shaddow and the magazine cap has the eyelet for a sling on it as standard so i can get a new cap it is just the stock issue.

Thanks for any help

Edited by little

I owned a winchester 120 sold it two years ago in a moment of madness. Regretted it and lo and behold it turned up at gunshop exact same gun. Needless to say its back in my cabinet

I also had a 120 ranger, stupidly chopped it in to fund a o/u for clay shooting,..... still regret it.

Confession time. In my excitement of finding my Model 37 I misread the manufacturers serial numbers list. I find that my 1946 is in fact a 1965. No problems there, in fact the '65 allows interchangeable barrels which is a result! Now the Question is ...................Who out there has a spare 24"or 26" barrel that I can beg for? (original magazine lug @ 4 cartridge position)

I have yet another project, must be expecting many rainy days to come! Smith and Wesson, yeah I know, I didn't realise they made shotguns either! Model 916T (takedown) 27" vent rib modified choke. feels like a skeet gun to me. Not in bad nick but missing the carrier spring, which is available in the states for exorbitant postage (nearly what the gun cost!!!) Have put wanted ad in PW but thought that one of you in the pump club may know where I can get a spring made? This forum never ceases to amaze me and the knowledge and goodwill of the contributors is always second to none. Interestingly this gun takes down just like the Ithaca Model 37, its what initially appealed to me, its a sort of hybrid Mod 37/Rem 870. The barrel rotates a quarter turn out of the steel receiver after screwing the mag cap clockwise, It has a single action bar and the stock screws into the trigger assembly. Then, its a side eject with the trigger assembly and bolt very reminiscent of the Remington. On top of that the safety is on top like the Browning/Mossberg.

post-75958-0-65557900-1452202186_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-59109000-1452202187_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-98890000-1452202188_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-81726800-1452202373_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59

Nice clean gun!, Mossy 500 on my list for future project, quite like the synthetic look myself

Update on S & W 916T..............had a day off and converted carrier return from wire spring to blade spring, result; smooth easy opening, non notchy gate, good lifting to battery. Put about 200 drill rounds through. Discovered secondary issue related to wear on the slide rail which releases the cartridge from the shell stop to the bolt stop but is minor in terms of functionality. Hope to test live at the weekend

Edited by impala59

Had a great mornings PSG with Phoenix (thanks to Ron and staff) Mod 37 performed faultlessly on Lylevale pigeon power 6's until the cursed fail to extract on the last stage. The "brass" expanded to cause a really solid jam, it even expanded into the extractor cut-outs in the barrel preventing them from getting any purchase at all on the case. I have emailed Lylevale with the batch numbers for their comments, as it seemed to me either a "hot" round or weak "brass", the chamber was spotless and still shiny but the case was stuck solid.

Edited by impala59

Pumpaholic again!

Bought a Squires and Bingham Mod 30 sleeper. After very deep clean it came up a treat. 24" 729 cylinder bore bright and no pitting. Its interesting as it has spring assisted opening and is very slick with one action bar. It has no loading gate (like Mossberg) cross bolt safety like Ithaca, Remington. A nice cheapie which seems very usable. the collection grows............... PS did anyone notice this thread has passed 100000 views! The pasty (OP)should be congratulated!

post-75958-0-58885100-1452897448_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59

Pumpaholic again!

Bought a Squires and Bingham Mod 30 sleeper. After very deep clean it came up a treat. 24" 729 cylinder bore bright and no pitting. Its interesting as it has spring assisted opening and is very slick with one action bar. It has no loading gate (like Mossberg) cross bolt safety like Ithaca, Remington. A nice cheapie which seems very usable. the collection grows............... PS did anyone notice this thread has passed 100000 views! The pasty (OP)should be congratulated!

mmm, I am even more bummed about missing this after reading your above great post!

This would have been perfect for the bunnies as intended, make sure it leaves the cabinbet :)

Great write up.

Many Thanks,

James

mmm, I am even more bummed about missing this after reading your above great post!

This would have been perfect for the bunnies as intended, make sure it leaves the cabinbet :)

Great write up.

Many Thanks,

James

Definitely be leaving the cabinet, if not for the unfortunate need to work,!*@"! I would have been out there this morning. I use a pump for everything and just love them, vagaries and everything, to the point where I'm looking to clear out the doubles and auto

Regards

Roland

Doing a bit of research on my Squires and Bingham Mod 30 I came across the schematics below. I seem to remember Mark (ChAoS) had the JC Higgins Mod 20, I remember him saying that it was very slick also that it was made by High Standard. My search led me to the Gunblast website, hosted by Jeff Quinn. He tested the brand new Rock Island (Armscor) M5 recently, saying it was the slickest pump around. Now, Armscor is the current name of the former Squires and Bingham Company of the Philippines. My gun, when held muzzle up and the slide release pressed will fully open the action, now that is slick! It just goes to show that when something is right, keep on making it......Just change the name now and then!

post-75958-0-93229300-1453417761_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-63281000-1453417762_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-38288200-1453417763_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59

Evening Gentlemen,

Re the Ithaca M37 & extraction difficulties, recently I re-mortgaged the kids inheritance and bought supplies of Gamebore, Black Gold, Dark Storm, ....... having got the poetry out of the way, they're a standard 70mm 30grms fibre wadded cartridge , but with around a .767" or 19.5mm 'brass' cycled perfectly. This was putting 5x3 through , as fast as I could reload, and and fire unaimed shots, I couldn't touch the barrel during/afterwards being so hot.

As previously mentioned, the length of the cartridge 'brass', combined with polishing the chamber seems to overcome any extraction difficulties.

Thank you for your advice gents.

Regards

Steve

PS Still after a 24" Deerslayer barrel and have a Winchester Model12 stock surplus, any info/interest??

Hi Steve, picked up on your post and picked up loads of Black Gold cases for reloading today, they certainly seem substantial. I too am still looking for 24" DS barrel, I wonder if any others are as well? maybe we could find a tame RFD/PW member who could place an order with the factory? Not sure of the pitfalls involved, but if a few were ordered...........

Anyway, glad your 37 sorted, I ran a batch of 2 1/2" Lylevale paper case 28g (16mm head) likewise faultless........ A pal with an 870 Express is having the same fail to extract problems, so its not just Ithaca. I feel that a marginally "hot" round will expand the low 8mm head into the extraction slot so that the claw can get no purchase, the greater strength of the higher head does not permit this to happen. My next test will be with some 24g loads

Regards

Roland