• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

My first pump.

Mossberg 590 Mariner.

Been waiting to get my mits on one for ages and the saddlery n gunroom rang me up this week and asked if I still wanted one.

Just got her home.

a2jQ2i.jpg

Got a load of bits on order, M4 stock, matching fore-end with rails, ghost ring sights and a couple of shell carriers etc.
Can't wait to have her all trimmed up :)

9fb8mb.jpg

VAhXTW.jpg

No.

Not yet anyways :good:

Gonna start doing some club shooting and apply for fac.
I don't have any land to shoot on anymore so will have to start doing some PSG or such if I want to uncork it :sad1:

Great gun! And loads of fun bits available on line and in the shops

yeah its amazing how much stuff there is for them.

Its gonna be a big credit card bill on the mat soon :ninja:

Edited by HuskyRich

Had a 590 with the vented muzzle brake to bring it up to 24"

Loved the fact it had a lug for a bayonet which I obv needed ????

It's a military issue shotgun in 20" guise....hence the heatshield & bayonet lug.

Not a new concept.. .been making them like that for 100 years, as of 2017...

It's a military issue shotgun in 20" guise....hence the heatshield & bayonet lug.

Not a new concept.. .been making them like that for 100 years, as of 2017...

Indeed...

Was nice to have a mozzy again as the last one was back in 88 which was a slugster that I then part ex'd with the now famous Tony Buckland ( no, I didn't receive a stem gun or maxim in return)

Just a quick update on my Hastan Field Hunter for those who might be interested. I previously said that the Imperial trap cartridges worked better which they did. Unfortunately I still got a fail to extract after 150 cartridges. A week or so later I took it clay shooting an got 1 or 2 FTE during the 60 clay round. I took it home stripped it down 'polished' the chamber, removed any burs I could find and gave everything the once over. I took it out again yesterday and got through around 225 cartridges with one FTE on the very last shoot. So without paying for even higher brass cartridges I think I've reached the limit what I can reasonably do.

Is 1 FTE in 225 a reasonable expectation for a sub £300 shotgun?

How many cartridges does it take for a pump to be run in as it were? 500, 1000?

took my mariner to do some DTL and a few rounds of sporting today.

Wasn't overly bad on the DTL but sucked pants on the sporting :ninja:
It's not much of a clay gun haha.
Was brilliant on the rabbits though, smashed every one of those. Just about the only thing I did hit consistently.

Just a quick update on my Hastan Field Hunter for those who might be interested. I previously said that the Imperial trap cartridges worked better which they did. Unfortunately I still got a fail to extract after 150 cartridges. A week or so later I took it clay shooting an got 1 or 2 FTE during the 60 clay round. I took it home stripped it down 'polished' the chamber, removed any burs I could find and gave everything the once over. I took it out again yesterday and got through around 225 cartridges with one FTE on the very last shoot. So without paying for even higher brass cartridges I think I've reached the limit what I can reasonably do.

Is 1 FTE in 225 a reasonable expectation for a sub £300 shotgun?

How many cartridges does it take for a pump to be run in as it were? 500, 1000?

1000 cartridges isn't many really is it? Stick with it for a bit, then if it still annoys you go buy a Remington, Benelli or Mossberg :D

Anyone thought about a section 2 (open) class competition for PSG? whilst I am currently languishing in section 2 and experimenting with sights etc., It occurred to me that many pump (and auto 3 shotters + those with doubles) may enjoy loading up their guns with gadgets for competition. Indeed, on this very thread there are many who do not wish to go section 1, but enjoy their guns with pistol stocks and sight exotica. Of course it would become a fast load exercise, but you would still have to hit the targets though.

Courses of fire would necessarily have to be shortened, simply for logistical reasons but I think it would be a good even playing field as the one thing that would be excluded would be the box magazine. Please don't think that I am against full section 1 open competition, section 1 auto or section 1 manual, in fact all my stuff is either on order or pending, I just think that maybe there is a massive group of shooters who may wish to try PSG but are maybe intimidated by the equipment. On a personal note, where I shoot PSG all are welcome and the camaraderie is great across the differing classes. Anyway, just a thought, maybe its been tried, I am sure the PW massive would know :)

Edited by impala59

Trinkets added!

Was considering ghost ring sights but have decided they will be pretty useless, even though they'd look cool... Plus also the proper ones are mega expensive!

torch/lamp is next. Got a matching shell carrier coming that fits straight on stock and am also thinking about a little red dot sight.

Can't wait to see the faces of the old gentry down the gun club when I pull it out :lol:

Zu7ZId.jpg

H7iRG2.jpg

1000 cartridges isn't many really is it? Stick with it for a bit, then if it still annoys you go buy a Remington, Benelli or Mossberg :D

I'll be sticking with it for a while. I've passed my PSG safety course and I will be applying for my S1 soon. As they take 6 months or so to come through I will be competing with the Hatsan for some time to come I think. The goal will be not to come dead last :)

Trinkets added!

Was considering ghost ring sights but have decided they will be pretty useless, even though they'd look cool... Plus also the proper ones are mega expensive!

torch/lamp is next. Got a matching shell carrier coming that fits straight on stock and am also thinking about a little red dot sight.

Can't wait to see the faces of the old gentry down the gun club when I pull it out :lol:

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=7fdaae168030775ef727b21ddd487b20&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=236687&p=3045383&md5check=e1c740a29e457c774bcbd73d182b83c2&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,UR3NyET58yA');//]]></script> Zu7ZId.jpg

&&0

H7iRG2.jpg

I've been thinking of fitting a collapsible stock like that to my mossberg 500 although was concerned about the overall length and it still being legal - any thoughts on this? Would this measure over 40" with the adjustable butt stock removed to just leave the pistol grip and buffer tube attached - which I assume need tools to remove??

there's a lot of stuff in the original 1968 firearms act about folding/collapsible stocks not to be regarded in terms of overall length, but if you look at the revisions since then, it makes no mention towards them and just mentions overall length and barrel length with no specifics in regard to type of stock.

I trawled the net for some claraification on the subject and although I couldn't find any one official comment on the matter I found some accounts of people that had contacted their local FEO's/constab and in each case they have stated as long as it meets the overall length of 40" then its fine.

If it was a folding stock then I don't think it'd be seen as favourably tbh.

With my stock retracted it JUST scrapes in above 40". Dunno what it is without it. And yeah you need a little C spanner type thing to remove it (or you could probably manage with something else in a pinch) and a alan key.

though, you have to have the stock out a couple of clicks to around 42-44" overall length as with it retracted all the way you can't get your hand on the grip properly.

Thanks Rich that's all very interesting to know! I thought though that there was still something in the firearms guide about folding/collapsing stocks? What make is the stock you fitted, is it a fab defense one?

Heard back from my FEO today who has been having a discussion with some of his colleagues on the matter and their view of it is, as long as any stock is of rigid construction (that includes retractable stocks) and is fixed rigidly to the gun (i.e not folding or detatchable) then it is legal as long as it meets the 40" criteria at minimum length.

I'm just waiting for further confirmation/clarification on a couple of points including how exactly they interpret the firearms act - specifically the part which mentions 'adjustable/retractable stocks are not to be regarded in terms of overall length' etc.

Of course, other counties FEO views may differ...

But I've got the emails from them saying it's okay, so at least I'm happy that I'm legal (in their eyes!) :good:

If anybody is interested I can post up the email conversation, if anybody is looking for clarification on the matter.