Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The threatened weather was kind to us and a good day was had by all. We each had our moments of triumph and frustration and at the end the top 3 were separated by 3 birds only. The course we shot was one round of English Skeet, new to us all but enjoyable nonetheless, followed by two separate sporting stages, one fairly short range stage and one with some very faraway birds! At least they seemed that way to me!

It was really good to meet PW contributors in the flesh and to put faces to their posts. Guns ranged from Mossberg to Browning via Hatsan and Ithaca with our winner using Classic Winchesters

First place and crowned Pigeon Watch Pump Club Champion 2017 was TheShootist with Quentyn runner up and Wraivi in 3rd place

Thanks to AC Sporting Targets, an excellent clays venue with a great variety of shooting and good equipment, facilities and staff for their welcome and hospitality

The Winner and runners up...............

pwpc (3).JPG

Edited by impala59

23 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

There's a couple of pumps at Southams and a nice Wingmaster coming up at Bonhams too, that Savage does look clean I must say and I've never had a duffer from either auction house

Decided I want to upgrade my Mossberg after handling a Benelli Supernova today so if anyone is interested I'll be putting it up for sale.  Thought I would offer the members of pump club first before sticking it on gunwatch (hope I am not breaking any rules!)

Package will include

Mossberg 600AT

2 Barrels, 30 inch CLECT and 25 inch fixed choke, Mossberg heatshield  (IC I think) both spotless

Various bits and bobs, 3 forends brand new trigger mechanism other things I have bough from Brownells and not used.

PM if interested.

I really liked my Benelli Supernova, but the action was really stiff. I know you can adjust it via the grub screws but it was always a bit rough. After 50 clays I just couldn't be bothered pumping it anymore!

I do miss it dearly though but it ended up in a cabinet cull a couple of years back.

On 17/11/2017 at 21:08, Opossum said:

I really liked my Benelli Supernova, but the action was really stiff. I know you can adjust it via the grub screws but it was always a bit rough. After 50 clays I just couldn't be bothered pumping it anymore!

I do miss it dearly though but it ended up in a cabinet cull a couple of years back.

I always wondered why so many Supernovas are sold with 24inch barrels?  Are they longer in the action than other pumps/semis?

Winchester pumps/semis 28 inch barrels suit me just wondered if this would also be the case with the Benelli.

Edited by evolution380

4 minutes ago, evolution380 said:

Was the Benelli in question 24inch barrels? How does this translate I assume the stock is much longer than other pumps?

The winchester pump/semi autos with 28inch barrels fit me well and feel a nice length.. or are longer barrels available?

I think it was either 24 or 26. I don’t think the stock was particularly long, but the long forend means you don’t have to reach forward as far as with an 870 or Mossberg

You can buy them with longer barrels

22 minutes ago, Opossum said:

I think it was either 24 or 26. I don’t think the stock was particularly long, but the long forend means you don’t have to reach forward as far as with an 870 or Mossberg

You can buy them with longer barrels

Thanks! 

Seen most RFD's with 24/26 but have now seen a 28inch version which would be my preference.

I’m with you on this, with the long receiver, the shorter barrels look and feel better on pumps and autos. Interestingly, I have found through numerous pattern testing, little  discernible difference between 24 and 30 inch barrels with the same choke and cartridge.(at 25-30 yards, maybe at longer distances more would be evident) Also, strangely, my 24” poly choke Savage throws a marginally better full choke pattern than my 28” invector plus in the BPS on full. As they say “go figure” Aesthetically, visually and for me, performance wise, I think the shorter barrels have the edge. Now, if only we could have 16 or 20 inchers!

Edited by impala59

OK pump people, talk me into (or out of) buying a Winchester SXP.

My current and only shotgun is an old Baikal OU which does the job, although it doesn't fit me very well and doesn't especially "feel" great to shoot. I've had it a couple of years for clays, the odd pigeon and this season I've used it for a rough/mini driven walk and stand type syndicate that I joined.

I like something a bit different and for some reason I fancy the SXP. Should I buy one for the entertainment value or should I get a "better" OU?

Head says OU, heart says I'll have fun with a pump.

Your in the wrong place if your expecting us to persuade you not to buy a pump action, of course you NEED a pump and the SXP is a great gun, get it bought.  Personally though I wouldn't recommend a pump as your only gun if your planning to shoot clays or game as some grounds and shoots wont like them but you have the mighty Baikal to resolve that issue.  Frankly I haven't found anything that I cant use my pump action for, that is perhaps apart from hitting clays at last months PW pump club shoot - I was utterly rubbish but was me not the gun.  I love the SXP and its on my gun bucket list but at the moment a new Supernova beckons.   

Its black, makes that sound we all love when racking the action and shoots well, what's not to like!

Hope my impartial advice has been of great service to you!