Pump Club

thepasty

Sorry brother pumpers for I have sinned, I couldn't resist myself I was too tempted, I was weak and gave in,. Yes that's right I've sold my trusted mossberg 500 and bought what is in my opinion the holy grail a BROWNING BPS .And if being wrong feels this good I don't wanna feel right 

In all seriousness any of you chaps got one of these or any hints and tips regards,. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, klatuveradanikto said:

Sorry brother pumpers for I have sinned, I couldn't resist myself I was too tempted, I was weak and gave in,. Yes that's right I've sold my trusted mossberg 500 and bought what is in my opinion the holy grail a BROWNING BPS .And if being wrong feels this good I don't wanna feel right 

In all seriousness any of you chaps got one of these or any hints and tips regards,. 

That's not so wrong! That's so so right!!! Really love my BPS. Pictures?

9 hours ago, impala59 said:

Other than a fairly heavy trigger you will not find much wrong with a BPS, my 2nd favourite pump you are not a sinner but a wise man, maybe should have kept the old mossie too though!

Missus wouldn't let me lol

8 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

That's not so wrong! That's so so right!!! Really love my BPS. Pictures?

Picking it up Saturday 

Well, Frankenpump 1 has evolved a little.....

frankenpump1.JPG.8042655f157b4da7001b8c3f645091d8.JPG

The old '71 model 37, one of my favourites.

I took off the ringed fore-end and replaced with a squarish unit to which I attached a picatinny rail and an angled fore grip, my reasoning being that positionally, I no longer need any 'muscle memory' to get straight to my ideal position from a 'trail start' or ground/table start in PSG matches. I am a great fan of these grips as once in the right place they seem so natural ( I mounted it with blu-tack first to find my ideal spot) Also my 90 degree rotating ambidextrous safety, which if in the 'safe' position, will be naturally pushed forward by either trigger finger when approaching the trigger and preparing to fire. No more fumbles looking to see whats wrong because the safety is on! (been there a few times) these small modifications should save a few seconds in the close fought matches that are PSG today. Along the same lines, that is, speed of readiness and acquisition, I have modified the sights a little. I have shortened the collecting area of the fibre light  rod as I was getting an over bright image, I matt blacked the barrel immediately behind the light rod as I was also getting reflections. I added a 'Ghost tube' above the receiver to act as a rear sight and it seems to work in getting myself on target more rapidly. I now have a gun that has a 'six o'clock' sight picture, which allows me to see the whole target. It sort of reminds me of my old Police Pistol days when six o'clock printed in the X ring! I may, in due course ,matt black the whole gun.

The gun continues to perform well with no stoppages and is as slick as silk in operation.

Congratulations to the Side by Side club in getting pinned, not sure that they should be above us on the list though! we have many more pages! Come on moderators, maybe the semi-auto club should also be pinned as they have 20 odd pages too! Its not a bad thing to have specific interest threads in my opinion and all we need now is O/U club and single shot club!

Edit...............

Well done Moderators !! Pump Club back at the top of the tree! 

This truly is an example to all other forums in how it is managed and run, long may it prosper!

Edited by impala59

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

Well, Frankenpump 1 has evolved a little.....

frankenpump1.JPG.8042655f157b4da7001b8c3f645091d8.JPG

The old '71 model 37, one of my favourites.

That pistol grip/butt abomination is so fugly I'm tempted to dig out my spare Ithaca branded pistol grip buttstock assembly and make you buy it!!
It's a similar material/look to the Pachmayr forend you seem to be using....that poor '37, being abused then having it's images spread on the web for all to see...

Always in the market for Ithaca parts! This is a form following function exercise and the old girl is  performing really well at this time. 47 years old and handles better than anything else I’ve tried! I suppose it’s a bit like taking an e type and putting fins on it, hmmm now there’s an idea ??

While on the subject of Fuglies, Frankenpump 2 is in its final configuration. Everything works smoothly and the functions are slick now, the only thing I am working on at the moment is adapting larger capacity magazines from another manufacturer as even I think that the magazine extensions are too ugly!  Reliability is 100% now. Of course this could all fall apart by changing the magazine but I am confident that I fully understand this gun now and can get it cycling with 10 or 12 round mags which in the PSG world should have some advantage.  Probably not see this on the clay range or in the hide though.

5ae052d9e053d_FG(1).JPG.59818781bde92e373d8e4426e4a80d97.JPG

Ok, so I now understand that the last entry puts that thread at the top of the tree, so come on pumpers keep the pump club No. 1!

Edited by impala59

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Imp59.

If you have a box magazine with  12 rounds in it the spring will need to be pretty beefy?

I look forward to some more details.

The plan at this time is to modify HDM high capacity magazines which come with a pretty beefy spring. As I have changed the entire magazine location and retention system it is simply (famous last words!) a matter of adapting the new mag to my stops and catch. I was fortunate today to have been given an unused 5 round HDM mag to experiment upon, so a couple of days off later this week to have a go. The body dimensions are almost identical. First thing that is apparent is the follower profile, but, oddly it almost mirrors my now modified  original followers, maybe that bodes well (I hope) The HDM high capacity is apparently 10 rounds so that would give me an 10+1 starting load, which may be sufficient for most courses of fire. I will post warts an’ all report in due course.

As an aside, when I was attempting to make my original magazines 12 rounders, l obviously needed really beefy springs as you correctly stated. I quite legally ordered some from Brownells UK and got a phone call from my FEO when they arrived at a UK port asking why I was ordering parts for an AK 47! They are still listed on the UK site and my FEO was fine about why I had ordered them thankfully. Just goes to show that our security services are working in the background, I found that quite reassuring once I was over the initial shock of the phone call

Edited by impala59

• 2 weeks later...

The magazine mod for the PM5 is now done, not really straightforward (I suppose these things never are!) but nonetheless it is working satisfactorily with one exception (more later) 

The curve of the HDM is slightly different and it puts the magazine in a slightly different place in the well. Not too much of a problem as I have plenty of room. One thing that struck me when I started with fine measurements was the relatively low quality of the HDM compared to the original, looking from the top or bottom, it was more a parallelogram than a rectangle. A little gentle vice work got me to an acceptable compromise. (I am glad this test mag was free, I shall look very carefully at any future purchases) Using smoke trace I marked out the various positions and high spots on the magazine. I drilled a 6mm hole which corresponds to the original view hole on the right hand side, this locates with an 8mm spring loaded ball. This gave me my ideal position. I re-profiled the forward lips and fitted new stops, aluminium at the front and steel at the back. Again with smoke I noted the mag catch position and fitted a brass block. I needed to slightly re-shape the nose of the follower to avoid the feed ramp. With a little tweaking the magazine inserts, feeds and cycles perfectly, with one exception as previously mentioned, that is, because the new follower is concave, I have no hold open with an empty magazine as the bolt, which normally engages the back edge of the follower, simply passes over. A small thing, but in competition a useful indicator. I shall investigate modifying the follower before I move on to high capacity mags. For now I have an, albeit only 5 rounds, spare magazine for those short load starts we occasionally see

5af175b064b68_hdmmagmod(1).JPG.5fd69e6bf2ea8df1ac584b71180ef15c.JPG5af175b0dca43_hdmmagmod(3).JPG.b718e8525492bdb4f0320652fc02c24c.JPG with an original 7 round mag

Following a day at the North Somerset show and my first ever go on a pump action, I now need to buy one ... 

thinking Remington 870 wingmaster, I like wood rifles and shotgun although noticed a synthetic doesn’t mark up etc and is handy at times. 

Already have a Silver Pigeon and Remingon 11-87 semi auto so this is just for fun! 

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Following a day at the North Somerset show and my first ever go on a pump action, I now need to buy one ... 

thinking Remington 870 wingmaster, I like wood rifles and shotgun although noticed a synthetic doesn’t mark up etc and is handy at times. 

Already have a Silver Pigeon and Remingon 11-87 semi auto so this is just for fun! 

I owned a synthetic 870 some years ago. It was a quality piece of kit with a mid rib bead and blueish/purple parkerised finish and very slick action. I sometimes wish I still had it as for a proper work tool it was the biz. 

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

I owned a synthetic 870 some years ago. It was a quality piece of kit with a mid rib bead and blueish/purple parkerised finish and very slick action. I sometimes wish I still had it as for a proper work tool it was the biz. 

Assuming it wasn’t a Wingmaster? I’m still tempted by a nice wood gun :) 

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

Assuming it wasn’t a Wingmaster? I’m still tempted by a nice wood gun :) 

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Wingmasters are nice though do attract a premium, especially in SGC form. I wouldn't mind a wingmaster but not a fan of the express