thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hey what would you lot choose. I've decided I'm gonna sell my savage 79 and a few others and get something brand new for once in my life 

I've narrowed it down to 2 guns 

Mossberg 500 

Or Winchester sxp.

My budget is small which is why I'm not choosing anything flash like a benelli - ideally max £500. I'll use it for clays and game/vermin. Not bothered about gun snobbery, if it works it works! 

What's your opinions? 

Matt

Personally if I was treating myself I would go for the wooden stock. 

(Would also go for the 20g, slight soft spot for that as it was the first shotgun I fired) 

Nowt wrong with the synthetic though. 

Would also stick with going new if treating myself. There is something a little special about it, even on a 'cheap' gun.

Edited by Lord v

+1 for Mossberg. I have one really like it, its a 500 12g 3 inch chamber a 24 inch and 28 inch barrel and plastic stock and for-end. I bought secondhand [very rough example] then added the other barrel new plus plastic stock. All in less than £500 but whatever suits you.

Given your criteria, I would also go with a new Mossberg, more classical than the somewhat racy looking Winchester and don’t forget that Mossberg came out on top when tested by the US military. Wood for aesthetics, feel and good looks (buying new should give you hopefully a choice and wood can be very different from one gun to the next) Synthetic for hard work and or hard use. 

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Winchester didn’t officially make a 3” model 12 that wasn’t a heavy duck. 

They did offer to convert 2 3/4 into 3” in the late 30s-40s. 

What does it say on the right hand side of the barrel next to where the choke marking is??

“superspeed and super x” by any chance??

Edited by a303

Have a look see. 

Its the correct stock  and forend for the age and spec of heavy duck. Just missing the original red recoil pad. Should be a 30” or 32” barrel.

Other way to tell is does it have a slug of lead in the stock that you can see with recoil pad removed and does the cartridge lifter have a metal spring loaded plate attached to the rh side?

Edited by a303

On 24/08/2018 at 10:10, Scrumbag said:

Folks,

Recently made an addition to my own personal pump club: a 1955 3" 12b Winchester Model 12 (Section 2). Probably try it out on the clays tomorrow.

Scrummy

kzuvwBE.jpg

KZgiRos.jpg

Very very nice. If you ever want to part with that let me know. Seriously. I was once in Fawcetts in Lancaster and he had on the counter several firearms which had been handed in by the family of an old boy who was too old to shoot and had been so for some years, and comprised of a .455 Webley self loader ( very rare ) a .455 Colt 1911 and a S1 Model 12 'Goose Gun' ( none were licensed ) which was also a takedown and came complete with it's original leather and canvas motorcase, and original instruction booklet. I would have loved the handguns but they were about to be banned, so made an offer on the Model 12. It was a lovely piece of kit but it was akin to waving around a downspout, and I eventually tired of it. When the opportunity came up to replace it with a ribbed Model 12 takedown in 20 bore I sold the 12 bore to a bloke in S.Ireland who wanted it for wild fowling. To this day I regret selling it. 
Have fun and look after it. 

Cheers Scully. I shall keep the pump club in mind if I every come to selling it.

Took it out this morning for some clays. Was lots of fun! A little short LOP but as 303 said, looks like it doesn't have the original butt pad (There's a hard "Winchester" Branded butt plate but it isn't fitted brilliantly). So a red "Silvers" pad might make it feel just a little longer.

I do however like the sight plane starting nearer the eye of these classic American pumps. My 1970s BPS is similar and I shoot well (by my standards) with it.

Scrummy

20 hours ago, a303 said:

Have a look see. 

Its the correct stock  and forend for the age and spec of heavy duck. Just missing the original red recoil pad. Should be a 30” or 32” barrel.

Other way to tell is does it have a slug of lead in the stock that you can see with recoil pad removed and does the cartridge lifter have a metal spring loaded plate attached to the rh side?

Hi a303,

Right, Barrel markings below:

j6aVg8f.jpg

So, 3" chambered, 30" barrel and full choke.

Not taken butt plate off yet but might have a play later to check for the weight.

Yes there is a spring loaded plate on the lifter

Scrummy