Pump Club

thepasty

15 hours ago, Opossum said:

I have a SPAS and PA8 in sec2 with fixed metal stocks which I absolutely adore. I also had an 1897 briefly.

Get the 1897. If you want to shoot a SPAS 12 you can try mine... then hand it back and feel glad you didn't spend money on it

i've shot a Spas 12, it would really be something to collect and just have and shoot occasionally just to remind me how impractical they are 😂

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 18/09/2018 at 20:57, theshootist said:

They also have a very good looking 870

Hi,

I'm looking at a Remington 870 Wingmaster for PSG, need something more than my 5 +1 Winchester 1200, I take it from the brief comments here I should maybe go for it?

Problem being, of course, it will be sight unseen and that always makes me nervous.

They say it is 11 +1 so I may have to get my Quad loading sorted too.

Comments/advice/warnings really appreciated,

RS

You can’t really go wrong with an 870, they’re still in production and all parts are available, together with many custom and updated parts. The longevity of the gun sort of tells you that they were doing something right at Remington! Try and get the serial number and Remington will date it. The early ones are nicer imho and some have wood that would grace a top flight double gun. Get some synthetic furniture for bashing it about in PSG. Later models have remchokes and plenty of those around too.

look for the spring tab upgrade on the load gate/lifter or older model with a slot cut( sometimes if you screw up your loading you can get a round stuck under the bolt on top of the lifter)

My (section 2) 870 is used mainly for pigeons and I am currently debating what finish to use in its restoration. If I can find some nice wood then I will re-blue

6 hours ago, impala59 said:

Try and get the serial number and Remington will date it.

Try and get the serial number and Remington will date it.

Type: Shotgun
Make: Remington
Calibre: 12 gauge
Price: £499
Stock#: 180815/004

Mechanism: Pump Action
Model: 870 Wingmaster
Barrel Length: 25.000"
Condition: S/H
Serial: V645044V

The V at the front of the serial number seems to indicate a 1978 model.  This seems really old to me (says he, using a Winchester 1200).  I don't really want to start fiddling on with replacing bits, but then again it is in my price range.

RS

Nothing wrong with a 1200! ever thought of extending the mag capacity of that?

£499 sight unseen seems a little steep on a 40 year old 870, in my opinion, unless it is exceptional, (wood, blue, unfired etc etc) They are good guns though!

There are many new guns within your budget and although made in Turkey, Portugal et al there are some decent bargains around

Any of you have experience of the savage Stevens mod 79? I gave it a bloody good clean, and tbh it was filthy inside, changed a few different cart sizes ( long brass, short brass, basically lyvale, gamebore and eley) and the only thing it will eject 9/10 is eley select 28g in 7.5 @ 67mm. And that's giving it a good tug. 

Its really annoying as I can never remember it being so fussy. I will move it on cheap just so I can get something else if no ideas come up as I'm looking at a sxp. 

7 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Any of you have experience of the savage Stevens mod 79? I gave it a bloody good clean, and tbh it was filthy inside, changed a few different cart sizes ( long brass, short brass, basically lyvale, gamebore and eley) and the only thing it will eject 9/10 is eley select 28g in 7.5 @ 67mm. And that's giving it a good tug. 

Its really annoying as I can never remember it being so fussy. I will move it on cheap just so I can get something else if no ideas come up as I'm looking at a sxp. 

Oddly, been having discussion on this very subject. All the Savage/Stevens that have crossed my path have been stiff and had poor cycling. The main problem has always been the trigger plate screw crushing the receiver. This is due to owners not removing the stock prior to take down. The trigger plate screw should be just nipped and then tensioned by sideways pull of the stock bolt. Same as a model 37. I have, unfortunately scrapped a couple where poor maintenance has caused premature wear and damage. Those with rotating to fix barrels are crucial to get right as the extractors can be chipped and run out of line. The bolt and bolt slide piece should be slick in their movement and the slide connecting rod should not bind at either end of its travel. My inner parts are polished with autosol and the gun runs as slick as my others, 37’s 870, BPS etc. 

I use Bornaghi cartridges and have no problems, hope you can sort yours

23 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Oddly, been having discussion on this very subject. All the Savage/Stevens that have crossed my path have been stiff and had poor cycling. The main problem has always been the trigger plate screw crushing the receiver. This is due to owners not removing the stock prior to take down. The trigger plate screw should be just nipped and then tensioned by sideways pull of the stock bolt. Same as a model 37. I have, unfortunately scrapped a couple where poor maintenance has caused premature wear and damage. Those with rotating to fix barrels are crucial to get right as the extractors can be chipped and run out of line. The bolt and bolt slide piece should be slick in their movement and the slide connecting rod should not bind at either end of its travel. My inner parts are polished with autosol and the gun runs as slick as my others, 37’s 870, BPS etc. 

I use Bornaghi cartridges and have no problems, hope you can sort yours

Your exactly the reason I join forums like this 👍 I shall  see if anywhere stocks bornaghi carts and give the internals a light polish. I have a lot of fond memories with this gun, was my proper first 3". Still thinking about a revo or sxp for a laugh 

On 28/09/2018 at 09:06, impala59 said:

Nothing wrong with a 1200! ever thought of extending the mag capacity of that?

I tried a couple of places (Pickering Guns, Emma Rifles) they said parts were no longer available.  I keep an eye out for one that was extended years ago, just in case.  I do like the Winchester,  no issues at all in 3 years and it has had to put up with me going from novice to barely any good at all in that time.

Guess I just have to keep my eyes peeled,

Thanks,

RS

37 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

I tried a couple of places (Pickering Guns, Emma Rifles) they said parts were no longer available.  I keep an eye out for one that was extended years ago, just in case.  I do like the Winchester,  no issues at all in 3 years and it has had to put up with me going from novice to barely any good at all in that time.

Guess I just have to keep my eyes peeled,

Thanks,

RS

RS,

Try here: http://www.practicalsportingsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/Nordic-MXT-tube-Extension-Kits.html

These guys have kits for the 1200

1 minute ago, RockySpears said:

Yeah, go on, make me feel even better Scully.

RS

Ha! Sorry about that! I gave it to another PW pump clubber who may sell you it if you ask him nicely. 😃 I would have to ask him before giving you his details of course, or he may contact you when he reads this. 

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

Yeah, go on, make me feel even better Scully.

Scrum bag, funny that it costs the same for +4 or +9, obviously the tube costs nothing at all,  the price is all for the nut, clamp and threading the tube,.

RS

Well, tube isn't expensive, just be cut to length and threaded ;)

It’s no so difficult to make an extension, plenty of tube options on the ‘bay. If you have a tame local engineering workshop you can make a cast of your mag tube thread and they should be able to cut to suit ( give them a cast of the cap thread too so they have male and female ) the end cap can be anything that’s an interference fit held in place with a screw, roll pin or whatever. Long springs , low friction followers and mag clamps from brownells (plus carriage 🙁 unfortunately unless you make up an order with others to go over £100) 

What you get is a custom tube on the gun you know and like, capacity that you choose, aesthetics as to how it looks on the gun and the satisfaction of sorting it yourself 

Check my post in the diy section regarding mag tube stabilisers, it shows an old Savage mag tube on my 1187 and some thoughts and bits that I made, all cost very little and works just fine

Brownells also do the Nordic Winchester connector for their own tubes, a bit pricy but solid kit though and a lot cheaper than buying another gun!

Edited by impala59

On 05/10/2018 at 17:05, strimmer_13 said:

Well went to avalon guns and picked up a sxp 👍

Think I'm in love 😍😂

15387555055775032224294427537371.jpg

Well I took it out today. 

What a weird gun! Very very different from the Savage 79 I own. The fact it nearly half cocks for you threw me off a lot. Just punching that last inch and slam her forward. 

Also the stock was too small so I couldn't get on the bead without aiming like I would a rifle. Obviously that didn't work out and had a dreadful experience. 

But when I gave up giving a **** from all the jokes and fear of losing to my old man (who's a devoted double barrel man and was so far ahead I wouldn't catch him up) I stopped aiming so to speak, gave up giving a ****, learnt where its going and started smashing clays tidy. Clay shooting has got to be 80% in the head. Once that was clear I could break em. resize.jpg.835ec9953a26f836f71cd175890353fb.jpg

Was a good day, new gun, few good laughs, more pumps than I've ever seen up there (another new sxp and a remington 120 spray painted gold (he done it as his mates always take the **** out of his bank robbers gun, he said he was going to do it pink, but the gold done the trick when he's smashing clays and they ain't). 

Only thing I would say is the lazy ********* with the o/u's who don't pick their shells up. Right next to the bins or in the stands. All the auto and pump guys did, but the lazy **** just couldn't be bothered to pick them up. Really annoys me that.