thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

Looks like a solid mount, how do you find The closeness of the sight to your eye?

So far I don't mind it. Sight is not big and it comes up to quite a natural place. Not shot it yet though so time will tell

2 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Nice watch!

David.

Cheers!

On 27/09/2018 at 12:38, RockySpears said:

Hi,

I'm looking at a Remington 870 Wingmaster for PSG, need something more than my 5 +1 Winchester 1200, I take it from the brief comments here I should maybe go for it?

Problem being, of course, it will be sight unseen and that always makes me nervous.

They say it is 11 +1 so I may have to get my Quad loading sorted too.

Comments/advice/warnings really appreciated,

RS

I have an 870 but not a wing master and although I know a couple of people that use them for PSG they're not ideal. All the fast manual shooter shoot Supernovas. I have one too that's set up with an extended tube and a low drag follower that I may sell as I'm concentrating on shooting open and really need to train more with the F12. 

Let me know if you're intersted

6 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

One issue with the 870 is that the lifter / loading gate stays up as is spring loaded. This can be a hassle when trying to load I understand. Benelli's and Mossbergs have agate that stays out of the way.

Scrummy

And the Supernova loading port is nice and big so quad loading is easier. It's no coincidence that the top manual PSG shooters shoot Supernovas 

Yes the Benelli has a larger gate and port for loading which is indeed what facilitates faster loading. Also the fact that there is a gate at all helps as it creates a ramp for the rounds to ride down and into the magazine. Those guns with no ramp such as Mossberg, Ithaca, Browning, Squires- Bingham etc allow the first round of the load-two or quad load to lay flat against the bolt carrier and so can negate the push of the second round into the mag. The other gated guns such as Remington, Winchester etc do have the ramp effect but the shape and size of these were determined long before dual and quad loading was the norm and are fine for single round loads at a more leisurely pace. One of our club members uses a mossberg and is quite adept at single loading, faster than many with load twos 

I prefer the Mossberg with a lifter tang extended an extra 1/4"ish.  No jams on overhead shots with 2 1/2" carts and you don't get your thumb stuck in a lifter.

The Franchi and the Remington were horrible to load fast, I preferred getting the hang of controlling the second cartridge and letting it push the first (most of the time)! 

On 19/10/2018 at 23:57, impala59 said:

Yes the Benelli has a larger gate and port for loading which is indeed what facilitates faster loading. Also the fact that there is a gate at all helps as it creates a ramp for the rounds to ride down and into the magazine. Those guns with no ramp such as Mossberg, Ithaca, Browning, Squires- Bingham etc allow the first round of the load-two or quad load to lay flat against the bolt carrier and so can negate the push of the second round into the mag. The other gated guns such as Remington, Winchester etc do have the ramp effect but the shape and size of these were determined long before dual and quad loading was the norm and are fine for single round loads at a more leisurely pace. One of our club members uses a mossberg and is quite adept at single loading, faster than many with load twos 

Yes, the new Benelli has the quad loading facility by not only enlarging the gate, but also by ‘scooping’ the frame directly before the gate. I watched YouTube footage the other day about the new model; five aimed shots down range against the clock was very impressive. I’m not into ‘practical’ at all, but it was good to watch. 

On 25/10/2018 at 20:35, Robertt said:

Occasionally I borrow a Mossberg 410 pump with a big silencer on the end for squiggle bashing.

Using gamebore 11g and Eley 3", it is not quiet.quiet enough to not need defenders but not as discreet as I thought it would be.

Is there quieter ammo available? 

yes anything subsonic will be much ( or should be ) much quieter 

15 hours ago, Quantockv said:

Having got Remington pumps in 12, 20, 28 & 2 in 410 I'm definitely a fan, but what I'm really after is an Ithaca 37 in 28g with a 26" barrel, is anyone importing Ithaca's to the UK at the moment?

Unfortunately not and no plans to either. Self importing is a nightmare and not cost effective either. What's needed is a dealer with passion and contacts and willing to take deposits on firm orders, and then approach Ithaca Gun Co. with proposal. I don't think that criteria can be met in the UK. 

On 01/11/2018 at 11:54, impala59 said:

Unfortunately not and no plans to either. Self importing is a nightmare and not cost effective either. What's needed is a dealer with passion and contacts and willing to take deposits on firm orders, and then approach Ithaca Gun Co. with proposal. I don't think that criteria can be met in the UK. 

There's an Ithaca listed in the Scotarms catalogue for the auction at Newark later this month. 

If anyone's after a cheep mossberg I have a section 2 mossberg 88 in the private sales section. It's way down in the listings as it was sold to someone who lives the other side of the country and we've not been able to meet up to complete the transaction. 

Open to offers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fellow pump gunners I am having to sell on one pump gun to finance and give space for a side by side. I have an old well loved model 12  in 12 bore and a new browning bps 16 bore. Which one would you sell. The bps is new but the Winchester is slicker it's a difficult decision but one has to go. Any opinions gratefully received thanks

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Konor said:

Hi fellow pump gunners I am having to sell on one pump gun to finance and give space for a side by side. I have an old well loved model 12  in 12 bore and a new browning bps 16 bore. Which one would you sell. The bps is new but the Winchester is slicker it's a difficult decision but one has to go. Any opinions gratefully received thanks

image.jpeg

BPS easy to replace...Mod 12 an all time classic,not so easy to replace !!!!!! so.......

Coincidentally,I owned a Mod 12 in 16b for a while too.

Edited by matone