Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well since selling my supernova and Mossberg Maverick 88 shotguns it's left me with only 2 pump guns, My Ithaca DSPS and My Remington 870 so when I saw a pump gun I've been wanting for a while on a stall at the Northern Shooting show  I had to have it. I couldn't bring it home so photos will follow when I can get to collect it.  

Edited by Sco77w

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

Would anyone be concerned about buying an old pump (1970’s ish Wingmaster) that is only 2 3/4 chamber, fixed choke and not steel proof? 

Considering an older one or to look for a newer model. 

Lloyd if the price is right crack on!

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd if the price is right crack on!

I’m just a bit worried that a older model can’t be used for duck due to steel shot and no 3” chamber. 

Although I think modern 870’s are back bored so might not be as good for fibre wads when general shooting 🤷‍♂️

Also read that the older ones may be lighter / swing better. 

Decisions, decisions. 

13 hours ago, Opossum said:

It's what I jumped on. the 30" 3" magnum 870 I bought barely fits in my safe, but no regrets!

Did you buy new or SH? Where from please mate? 

Having no 3” chamber nor being proved for steel wouldn’t put me off. Neither of those things means you can’t shoot duck with it. 

I have shot duck with any number of old Winchester’s, pumps and otherwise, none of which were proofed for steel. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, the collection expands!

1426051588_121620(3).JPG.986402756f509ea41cc5bee87ec44391.JPG

Top is a 1971 25" VR barrel 12g with an interesting choke modification. It is an exterior, metric threaded system by Breda which fortunately for me is the same as my Italian Valtro so I have a good selection of chokes. The forend is a short, plain type I have not encountered before. The only work to do other than a full stripdown, clean and overhaul is to replace the butt plate. I am visiting the USA later in the year and hope to get some sunburst butt pads amongst other stuff.

Middle is a 1947 26" Field barrel 16g (my first sweet 16! and currently my oldest M37) Its in really nice overall condition (for a 72 year old) other than needing a butt pad as it is perished. This has a Cutts compensator poly choke so another good flexible gun.

Bottom is a 1982 24" VR barrel 20g Ultralight English with its distinctive straight hand stock. I have never seen one of these in the flesh before so am quite pleased to have acquired it. It is also my first 20g M37 and is wonderfully light in the hand. I will in due course restore this one as the wood is a bit tatty, for some reason it has a brass butt plate which is not too attractive.

All three are functioning correctly, have been restricted and proofed S2 for ease of ownership. I have had to make a few parts like safety catches and slide pins but that's all part of the enjoyment of owing these modern classics. I'm happy to have broadened my collection and am looking forward to some different M37 experiences

Not knowing anything whatsoever about pump actions, can I ask what they are like on a second shot at pigeons, say if you got the chance of two coming in, or have missed with the first ?

Does the action impede lining up for that second shot ?

Like the idea of a pump in 16g especially being left handed. I assume that it ejects out of the bottom. Told you I didn`t know anything about them !

OB 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Morning Mate, some lovely additions to your collection!:good:

Absolutely love the 1947 16 bore.

Hi, yes I’m particularly taken with that one too! I just weighed the 20g ultralight at 5lb dead so aptly named although the sales literature of its time stated 4 -1/2 lbs!

maybe it’s been over oiled 😀

Edited by impala59

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Not knowing anything whatsoever about pump actions, can I ask what they are like on a second shot at pigeons, say if you got the chance of two coming in, or have missed with the first ?

Does the action impede lining up for that second shot ?

Like the idea of a pump in 16g especially being left handed. I assume that it ejects out of the bottom. Told you I didn`t know anything about them !

OB 

Some say the 16 is the best compromise for the field, who knows? Perhaps it’s as said elsewhere on the forum, the knockdown of a 12 with the handling of a 20. Many personal opinions I’m sure. With a lightweight pump in the field, I would carry in the following condition; hammer dropped on an empty chamber, safety off, 2 rounds in the magazine. Completely safe and inert. When your prey presents, on the way to your shoulder, simply cycle the action and fire, no other functions to think about. AsTC said, the 2nd round becomes instinctive 

• 1 month later...

On 13/06/2019 at 17:07, Farmboy91 said:

Well I did it anyway, brought the super x and love it, had a few cracking bunnies already. Fits better than I thought. 

I have the SXP and initially found it short - however I've found although my mount is different with the stock sitting lower down my cheek I shoot well with it, it cycles like a dream and I've been beating a few guns with O/U's on a round of sporting clays with it. Love the thing now !!

2 hours ago, Papercase said:

I have the SXP and initially found it short - however I've found although my mount is different with the stock sitting lower down my cheek I shoot well with it, it cycles like a dream and I've been beating a few guns with O/U's on a round of sporting clays with it. Love the thing now !!

Yeah I know what you mean, now I've been shooting with it for a while I don't think anything of it. 

Handy having a 3 1/2 gun now too. 

3 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah I know what you mean, now I've been shooting with it for a while I don't think anything of it. 

Handy having a 3 1/2 gun now too. 

Watch out boys, i had that gun and was my favourite, I shot so well with it I even posted photos on here about it! Anyway watch out for the magazine chamber, mine cracked after about 5 months and 1500 odd carts. It's a known fault but not all have it. It stops carts from cycling, i thought it was high brass carts but I tried loads of brands as I didn't think a tiny chip out of the plastic magazine tube would effect it. It was so annoying but a quick Google told me it's ******** in the uk as the yanks change them for metal versions which you can't get here, probably because of demand. 

Apart from that, fast, light, handled sweet, easy to strip and cheap. I miss that gun and will get another secondhand before long. But got a mossberg instead which again being American made/design is far too short for me I have to put a slip on - on. 

Looking at a squires atm to add to the collection. Seen it in llechryd for 130notes...

Edited by strimmer_13

12 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Watch out boys, i had that gun and was my favourite, I shot so well with it I even posted photos on here about it! Anyway watch out for the magazine chamber, mine cracked after about 5 months and 1500 odd carts. It's a known fault but not all have it. It stops carts from cycling, i thought it was high brass carts but I tried loads of brands as I didn't think a tiny chip out of the plastic magazine tube would effect it. It was so annoying but a quick Google told me it's ******** in the uk as the yanks change them for metal versions which you can't get here, probably because of demand. 

Apart from that, fast, light, handled sweet, easy to strip and cheap. I miss that gun and will get another secondhand before long. But got a mossberg instead which again being American made/design is far too short for me I have to put a slip on - on. 

Looking at a squires atm to add to the collection. Seen it in llechryd for 130notes...

I didn't pay a great deal for it and it doesn't get used all the time so here's hoping it will last for a while lol thanks for the heads up though, will potentially save swearing and head scratching in the future 😂