Pump Club

thepasty

Yes I believe that is the case, the sunburst pads were ordered from Connecticut Shotgun and delivered in a couple of days to my brothers house where I was staying. It would seem to be the way to go. As my brother is over there 3 or 4 times a year I may be able to arrange for parts to arrive when he is there. He is not a shooter so maybe a little hesitant though. Interestingly, at the security check when leaving it was specifically stated that no firearms parts could be in carry on luggage so always put it in checked baggage.

Edited by impala59

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Took one of my pumps along to our rough shoot last weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were two pumps and two autos, a damascus barrelled live pigeon gun ( 16 bore )  and three OU's in attendance.  🙂 Only fired around four shots but I mostly beat on this shoot as quite a few of those on it don't get the opportunities I do to shoot game, so I tend to beat and watch them shoot. I derive just as much pleasure from watching others shoot as I do when shooting. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right few questions, I'm getting a bit annoyed about the rattle of my pump, it's a mossy 500a. It seems a common problem they are a bit noisy, due to the action bar. Is there a cure to help dampen it? I even went out and bought a browning gold hunter the other month, but can't get used to not loading the gun or having it cocked, same as I'll never use a o/u or a sxs without hammers. My mates off to the states and has asked if I want anything picking up, lucky as obviously parts are cheap. Is it worth getting a plastic stock for it, i dont mean tactical, just standard plastic. 

Also is there a way of lengthening the loading gate to accept 65/67mm shells as it does not like a slow reload or vertical, its only reliable if pumped slow. 70mm not a issue and grabs everyone and ejects a treat. 

Thanks 

On 30/12/2019 at 09:52, strimmer_13 said:

Right few questions, I'm getting a bit annoyed about the rattle of my pump, it's a mossy 500a. It seems a common problem they are a bit noisy, due to the action bar. Is there a cure to help dampen it? I even went out and bought a browning gold hunter the other month, but can't get used to not loading the gun or having it cocked, same as I'll never use a o/u or a sxs without hammers. My mates off to the states and has asked if I want anything picking up, lucky as obviously parts are cheap. Is it worth getting a plastic stock for it, i dont mean tactical, just standard plastic. 

Also is there a way of lengthening the loading gate to accept 65/67mm shells as it does not like a slow reload or vertical, its only reliable if pumped slow. 70mm not a issue and grabs everyone and ejects a treat. 

Thanks 

hello, if you type in google Mossberg 500A  rattle problems there are some interesting ways to help this problem, more so USA web sites like oldgobbler, i think a plastic stock would resonate the sound, you could buy some service parts ?

Never really considered service parts, hopefully it won't break 😬

I'm considering getting some chokes, was thinking plastic stock, and camos, as I'm tall the yanks cater for all sizes. Wallmart are ridiculously cheap, - $20 for a pair of 'pants' in realtree in 34w 36l. I shall be getting 2 of those. 

Hope work does not cancel on him. 

Mossbergs rattle, mine do, ones I’ve moved on did, no doubt any that I get in future will. Mossbergs are reliable. That said, wear will increase tolerances and increase rattle. Steel and alloy sliding, pivoting, rubbing together will wear and loosen. Good friction retarders (I use break free) can minimise the mechanical noise but a pumpgun is effectively a series of levers, cams, springs, pivots, axles and stops that are metal to metal. It is what I personally find so attractive (engineering wise) about the type. Plastic furniture will be unlikely to dampen any noise as it is lighter than the wood and fairly certainly the stock would be hollow which would give you a nice echo chamber!

With it’s semi skeletal lifter, the 500 is not really suitable for smaller cartridges, there have been many attempts over the pond to increase capacity with small shells, they all work sporadically but never, it seems, reliably,

As an afterthought, if it is wear that is causing the noise and you, so much concern, consider that other parts may also be worn, sear, trigger, disconnecter extractor etc and any associated springs, plungers or pins. Possibly, if it’s an old and heavily used gun it may be near the end of its working life

Edited by impala59

15 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i have the mossberg 500a 24" and it rattles it that does not bother me, it  will take any size cartdrige and works well.they are very good guns, glad i bought it.at the moment its my number one gun.

What carts you using? Ive tried 65mm lyvale pigeon power (I believe they are called that) and mine jams unless held flat. It's good with the 7.5s 70mm sportsman gun center cheap carp. Jams with clear pigeon as well. Tbh most of my shooting is done with the 7.5s, just to get a cheap lot its a 70mile round trip to sportsman as its the only place open on a Sunday 

Just had a bit play with my Mossberg earlier today while fitting a sling as I'm going out with it this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it doesn't rattle at all! I gave it a real good shaking, and tipped it back and forth, but nothing! It is a S1 Mossberg 600 AST 'Slugster', fitted with a Ram-line synthetic stock and fore-end and has a heat shield over the barrel. No rattle whatsoever! 🙂

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Just had a bit play with my Mossberg earlier today while fitting a sling as I'm going out with it this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it doesn't rattle at all! I gave it a real good shaking, and tipped it back and forth, but nothing! It is a S1 Mossberg 600 AST 'Slugster', fitted with a Ram-line synthetic stock and fore-end and has a heat shield over the barrel. No rattle whatsoever! 🙂

Rub it in 😅

18 hours ago, Scully said:

No rattle whatsoever! 🙂

A rare beast indeed! Interesting that you say it’s a 600, possibly, due to the different action bar and retention ring on the New Haven 600, it kills the Mossy rattle. I always thought that the limited take down of the 600 was a disadvantage, maybe I missed something. 500’s always carry a premium price over the 600’s it would be interesting to hear others views of each type, maybe also the 88 ( which I believe is a 500/600 with a push through safety, though never handled one)

despite commonality of parts, and I’m ready to stand corrected, I always thought of the 600 being a budget version of the 500 (and marketed as “New Haven “ ) and the 88 another lower cost version to attract those who don’t get on with or prefer push through to the top tang safety catch

Edited by impala59

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

A rare beast indeed! Interesting that you say it’s a 600, possibly, due to the different action bar and retention ring on the New Haven 600, it kills the Mossy rattle. I always thought that the limited take down of the 600 was a disadvantage, maybe I missed something. 500’s always carry a premium price over the 600’s it would be interesting to hear others views of each type, maybe also the 88 ( which I believe is a 500/600 with a push through safety, though never handled one)

despite commonality of parts, and I’m ready to stand corrected, I always thought of the 600 being a budget version of the 500 (and marketed as “New Haven “ ) and the 88 another lower cost version to attract those who don’t get on with or prefer push through to the top tang safety catch

Mine may be a budget version of the 500, I wouldn’t really know, although it is well put together with some parts consisting of that nice rich almost purple blueing rather than blue/black, and doesn’t seem any different to me from the .410  500 I once owned ( safety in the same place ) and should have kept; isn’t it always the way! 
The receiver has ‘Slugster’ stamped on its face with a rolled on cursory engraving which I would have preferred hadn’t been put on. They always look like an afterthought to me, much like that on the receiver of the 1100. 
Im really a Winchester buff rather than a Mossberg fan, and only bought it as my slot for a S1 shotgun was about to meet a renewal unfulfilled, as I hadn’t found the Model 12 I was looking for. 
When you mention ‘takedown’, are you referring to it’s ability for stripping or its ability to take down similar to the 1897 and Model 12? 
Winchester also made budget models, with ( without looking it up  ) early versions of the 120 models being put together mostly from surplus parts of the Model 12 and 1300. 
I enjoy using the Mossberg; it isn’t as slick as a Winchester but I think the fore-end would benefit from being ‘shaved’ internally to rectify this, has a very short barrel bereft of choke, and is used as a tool, and if I keep it I may consider having it Teagued, even though I would never get this money back.

There may still exist pics of it from a year or so ago when I put it in the ‘sale’ section of PW. 

Edited by Scully