Pump Club

thepasty

As I recall, the band around the mag tube prevents the forend from being removed, therefore restricting the take down. If it is an anti rattle device then obviously it works! I also believe that the finish on the 600 is the equal of that on the 500 as are 99% of the parts. Not so much a budget model, more like a rebranding exercise as Sears used to do. I should state however, that I’ve only owned rattly 500’s😀

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bargains on Holts unsold items

Squires Bingham M30 12g £65 total cost! same as JC Higgins, slick pump!

Remington Wingmaster 30in 12g £260 all inclusive 

Ithaca 37 (minus Safety catch) 26 in 1/4 choke £260 all inclusive (I would buy this one but currently not even space for a cleaning rod in the cabinets!

Just now, impala59 said:

Bargains on Holts unsold items

Squires Bingham M30 12g £65 total cost! same as JC Higgins, slick pump!

Remington Wingmaster 30in 12g £260 all inclusive 

Ithaca 37 (minus Safety catch) 26 in 1/4 choke £260 all inclusive (I would buy this one but currently not even space for a cleaning rod in the cabinets!

I saw that Squires Bingham when it was first listed and it caught my eye, do you think it's worth a punt?

8 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I saw that Squires Bingham when it was first listed and it caught my eye, do you think it's worth a punt?

Definitely, I have one, they are really underrated. Its lineage can be traced back to High Standard Flyte King and still made as Rock Island M5

11 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Definitely, I have one, they are really underrated. Its lineage can be traced back to High Standard Flyte King and still made as Rock Island M5

Thanks, if I can get the Holt's website to load I'm going to have a serious look.

Had to part with a few of mine lately, would be nice to have another cheapy to cheer me up 😂

Top to bottom Rock island M5, My Squires Bingham, 3 High Standards (the bottom one is the M200 I believe), all basically the same gun, note the lower front corner of the receiver and the giveaway cutaway

rock-island-m30-m5-matte-nickel-shotgun-1503756-1.jpg.c2af6cde1f48a2fd0306353b1f94a07f.jpg993890107_S2SquiresBingham30.JPG.907b968993dc6c374563f3d9668c9b4e.JPG

3x_Hi-Std_0900.jpg.e5feffe60b559c94b74e62c94f17c480.jpg

Edit........Just found this pic, JC Higgins M20...…….Again, same gun

J-C-Higgins-model-20.jpg.e60729dc8fbd73a9f858dbd2fa545590.jpg

Edited by impala59

For interest, the weak part of the above pumps seems to be the trigger assembly front locating lugs or "ears" as pictured. Not inherently weak, but could suffer at the hands of inexperienced users when taking the gun apart. Notably, trying to remove the assembly like an 870, it won't!

1029403029_sbears.JPG.6c9971ebe2ca61ace26685128c601e37.JPG

A repair was detailed by Captain Beaky on this forum a year or two ago, a man who knows his metalwork and his JCH is super slick

8 minutes ago, impala59 said:

For interest, the weak part of the above pumps seems to be the trigger assembly front locating lugs or "ears" as pictured. Not inherently weak, but could suffer at the hands of inexperienced users when taking the gun apart. Notably, trying to remove the assembly like an 870, it won't!

1029403029_sbears.JPG.6c9971ebe2ca61ace26685128c601e37.JPG

A repair was detailed by Captain Beaky on this forum a year or two ago, a man who knows his metalwork and his JCH is super slick

Thanks for posting that, I'll make sure to have a good look 👍

While doing a bit of research for the above, I came across another name that I was unfamiliar with, Ted Williams. It would appear that John Higgins was a Sears employee who had a huge range of sporting and recreational goods named after him, the C in J C Higgins was invented as it sounded better. The range was discontinued after the Introduction of the Ted Williams range. Ted Williams was a baseball star signed up by Sears for marketing purposes. For our immediate interest the Ted Williams 12g pump gun was a rebranded Winchester 1200, probably due to the demise of High Standard in the US. I would hazard a guess that the HS tooling was sold as a job lot because as previously stated, the manufacturing of the Squires Bingham ( SB was a Manila, Philippines, based printshop that also sold motorcycles and sporting goods)was commenced. the SB company became Armscor  and continues manufacturing the same gun to this day for Rock Island Armoury. They also manufacture many other types of firearms under their own name and for third parties. The SB was imported into the US by the Kassnar Imports Corp. (they also imported shotguns from Hungary and Spain and possibly the UK with their Churchill model) I also discovered that initially the JCH pump was a Savage product but it was quite short lived, probably a good collector piece

Perhaps I am being a bit anoraky here 🥴 but I do find all this stuff interesting, anyone got a Ted Williams?

On 05/01/2020 at 21:49, impala59 said:

On 05/01/2020 at 21:49, impala59 said:

Notably, trying to remove the assembly like an 870, it won't!

Just to clarify, when removing the trigger assembly (after pushing out the single cross pin and with the gun upside down, hammer cocked, safety on) Push the trigger guard to the rear while rotating the unit upwards, rolling the forward lugs out of engagement with the receiver. Keep the assembly square to the receiver. Damage can occur particularly if any twisting motion is applied. If the gun has not been stripped down for a long time the trigger assembly can appear to become "glued" in place where debris/carbon/old oil/unburnt powder etc gums up the works. Gently tapping the trigger guard rearward with a rubber mallet(only about 1mm) should release it. Failing that a proprietary solvent left to work on it should be used. Never attempt to lever out the unit or tap the trigger guard sideways. The Trigger assembly in the Squires Bingham is a very snug fit and will repay careful disassembly with one of the smoothest actions you will come across

Well done. I was seriously close to buying it myself as an intro into the pump world & If I had not of been so ill this week I would have it sat in mine too. How did the buying process all go ? Think I may keep an eye out on their future auctions. Oh and pics would be great when you get chance & what you think of it once you have taken it out for a proper test too.

Dan.

It was fine, they were busy but couldn't have been anymore helpful, didn't take long to get it all signed and  sorted.

It's the first time I've brought from auction so it was a bit of unknown but I had some top advice from impala59.

I've got a shoulder injury at the moment so once I'm sorted I'll have a proper day out with it. Action is nice and smooth though.

It might be worth contacting wabbitbosher on here to as he normally has some bargains, he didn't have a sec2 pump last time I asked that's why I went for this one but he's definitely worth keeping in contact with.

18 hours ago, impala59 said:

A couple of my pumps on guns for sale a few pages back if you're interested, negotiable on price as need the space for more😀

Will take a look this evening Impala59 as it`s an itch I would like to scratch. I still have it in the back of my mind I may not like using pumps as much as my semi autos & maybe I should try before I buy ? but I do feel a certain draw to them.

Dan

2 hours ago, Mullard83 said:

Will take a look this evening Impala59 as it`s an itch I would like to scratch. I still have it in the back of my mind I may not like using pumps as much as my semi autos & maybe I should try before I buy ? but I do feel a certain draw to them.

Dan

Not to blow my own trumpet but I took to the pump naturally, missus on the other hand while shooting clays was a laugh, watching her looking at the gun when she's pulling the trigger and nothings happening 😂

Edited by Farmboy91

5 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Not to blow my own trumpet but I took to the pump naturally, missus on the other hand whole shooting clays was a laugh, watching her looking at the gun when she's pulling the trigger and nothings happening 😂

I think I will take to it naturally too, or at least I hope anyway  guess there is only one way to find out.

1 minute ago, Mullard83 said:

I think I will take to it naturally too, or at least I hope anyway  guess there is only one way to find out.

When you can pick a reasonably clean working one up for the sub £100 you can't really go wrong even if you dont. I really liked my sxp but I like this SB even more.

1 minute ago, Farmboy91 said:

Few extra pics 👍

Have it a good going over with cleanzoil and a polish up and it didn't come up too bad at all.

IMG-20200109-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200109-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200109-WA0001.jpg

Looks like a good buy there & glad you enjoyed it. What interested me was the cheap price of it, as I thought to myself if I don`t get on with it I can move it on again without worrying what it cost.