Pump Club

thepasty

5 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Looks like a good buy there & glad you enjoyed it. What interested me was the cheap price of it, as I thought to myself if I don`t get on with it I can move it on again without worrying what it cost.

👍 Looking forward to getting some proper use out it, there's normally a few in their sealed bid auction if you don't find one before.

Maybe we should have a PW pump clay shoot.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always from day one of shotgun ownership had a pump. Tried o/u, couldn't hit nothing, didn't feel right. Had a semi 🤣 ( that's another story I'm trying again) and I only shoot well with pumps and sxs. It came very naturally and cant shoot nothing else without going through the regime of clocking the gun first, which is why my sxs is also a hammer. Think 90% of it now with me is confidence, and I've lost a fair touch when I got rid of the sxp and got a mossberg (because it had a spare silenced barrel). I'll get another sxp when I see a bargain in the summer. 

8 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

👍 Looking forward to getting some proper use out it, there's normally a few in their sealed bid auction if you don't find one before.

Maybe we should have a PW pump clay shoot.

I`m always up for a fun clay shoot. I must admit I`m a bit rusty at the old clays at the moment but I don`t do it to be competitive just for a laugh. It would also be good to see other pump guns & I always fancied having a go on a S.P.A.S even though they look impractical.

Dan

17 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

I`m always up for a fun clay shoot. I must admit I`m a bit rusty at the old clays at the moment but I don`t do it to be competitive just for a laugh. It would also be good to see other pump guns & I always fancied having a go on a S.P.A.S even though they look impractical.

Dan

Yeah I reckon it would be a laugh. I bet there's some beauties tucked away in the cabinets on here.

Just now, Farmboy91 said:

Yeah I reckon it would be a laugh. I bet there's some beauties tucked away in the cabinets on here.

I think I saw an Ithaca on here that had a sort of heat shroud or part cover over the top that looked interesting along with some other trench clearing guns. I think historical items like that with the stories behind them are interesting & a joy to still be able to use. Like you say I bet there are some varied & nice guns tucked away. If a pump clay shoot does materialise I would like to come along. I have always been tempted by the north/south clay shoot but never got my butt into gear to attend.

Da.

22 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

I think I saw an Ithaca on here that had a sort of heat shroud or part cover over the top that looked interesting along with some other trench clearing guns. I think historical items like that with the stories behind them are interesting & a joy to still be able to use. Like you say I bet there are some varied & nice guns tucked away. If a pump clay shoot does materialise I would like to come along. I have always been tempted by the north/south clay shoot but never got my butt into gear to attend.

Da.

I've seen the genuine ww2 sec2 pumps go for silly money, definitely something I'd love to have a go with if not own.

I know impala59 has got a fair few of them pretty pumps tucked up 😉

Where does the north/south take place?

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I've seen the genuine ww2 sec2 pumps go for silly money, definitely something I'd love to have a go with if not own.

I know impala59 has got a fair few of them pretty pumps tucked up 😉

Where does the north/south take place?

Me too. As for the North/South clay shoot I think it was a clay ground near Bedford somewhere. I`m sure I have been to it & was`nt too keen on how artificial it all felt (although targets were super) the ground was all shingle walkway & conifer trees whereas I prefer the setting to be more natural looking. 

10 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Me too. As for the North/South clay shoot I think it was a clay ground near Bedford somewhere. I`m sure I have been to it & was`nt too keen on how artificial it all felt (although targets were super) the ground was all shingle walkway & conifer trees whereas I prefer the setting to be more natural looking. 

What part of the country are you from? Maybe if we do a pump one we can do a different ground.

4 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

No me either, maybe get something together for this year then 👍

I`m certainly up for it, although I`m not sure who organises it on here? Just remembered the name of the clay shoot is Sporting Targets. It has been many years since I went there though.

Dan

1 hour ago, Mullard83 said:

I`m certainly up for it, although I`m not sure who organises it on here? Just remembered the name of the clay shoot is Sporting Targets. It has been many years since I went there though.

Dan

No me either, although I'm sure between the pump club we can sort something.

38 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Have you ever stripped it ? Been looking for video but hard to find any thing decent

No I haven't had time to pull it apart myself yet but if you stick ' how to strip a squires Bingham model 30' into Google it throws up quite a few results Inc some YouTube videos.

One was about a minute long, there was another that was 8 minutes +

Edited by Farmboy91

Never use snap caps. Bought them when I first got my licence as I didn't know my **** from my elbow and bought all kinds of guff I didn't need. I can see the need to release the springs on a 150 year old sxs but not a modern gun, especially something as easy to strip as a pump

Edited by strimmer_13

That was one of the things mentioned that modern guns dont need the pressure released due to the modern materials used , unlike as you say older weapons  , i suppose its one of those where you do or you dont , just wondered if anybody did and more to the point would caps even work in a pump

On 09/01/2020 at 22:04, captainhastings said:

Have you ever stripped it ? Been looking for video but hard to find any thing decent

Rock Island Armoury M5 video is the same gun, as still in  production 

On 09/01/2020 at 20:52, Mullard83 said:

Dan

Any one can organise it, we did it a couple of years ago in West London but couldn’t get a date sorted last year. I made a trophy which I’m sure would be defended by The Shootist if one of you guys can sort a suitable venue. We did a bit of skeet and a bit of sporting which was great fun.

On 13/01/2020 at 15:51, telf said:

Anybody use snap caps in a pump , been reading a couple of shotgun forums and there seems to be varying on wether there needed or not

I wouldn’t bother with snap caps, I always close the action and drop the hammer when proved clear on the range if rebagging or leave open with flag if that is the range standing order. In the cabinet it’s always hammer down on closed action. Most snap caps are unsuitable for cycling practice due to weight, size or construction . Making drill purpose rounds from fired cases is a short term fix as pumps will chew up the rims in a fairly short time. I have seen DP plastic rounds but have no experience of using them. I know it’s stating the obvious, but please do not be tempted to cycle live rounds unless at the range and shooting (in a safe direction of course)

Edited by impala59