thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

East of England is a good ground too, depends how many want to come I suppose.

Yes I would say that is a good choice too. I shot there with a mate as he recommended it. Unfortunately about 30 clays into it, he became too ill to continue so I didn't get to see all the grounds layout or sample the clubhouse goods.

Dan.

12 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

Yes I would say that is a good choice too. I shot there with a mate as he recommended it. Unfortunately about 30 clays into it, he became too ill to continue so I didn't get to see all the grounds layout or sample the clubhouse goods.

Dan.

That's a shame, I'd normally shoot at high lodge just because it's closer but EOE is definitely worth the drive.

While we was there the ground staff said they change the stands around once a week so you always get a bit of varity anyway.

19 hours ago, impala59 said:

Rock Island Armoury M5 video is the same gun, as still in  production 

Any one can organise it, we did it a couple of years ago in West London but couldn’t get a date sorted last year. I made a trophy which I’m sure would be defended by The Shootist if one of you guys can sort a suitable venue. We did a bit of skeet and a bit of sporting which was great fun.

I wouldn’t bother with snap caps, I always close the action and drop the hammer when proved clear on the range if rebagging or leave open with flag if that is the range standing order. In the cabinet it’s always hammer down on closed action. Most snap caps are unsuitable for cycling practice due to weight, size or construction . Making drill purpose rounds from fired cases is a short term fix as pumps will chew up the rims in a fairly short time. I have seen DP plastic rounds but have no experience of using them. I know it’s stating the obvious, but please do not be tempted to cycle live rounds unless at the range and shooting (in a safe direction of course)

I will indeed - very sorry that it did not happen last year.

I have asked if we would be welcome at the Essex Shooting Ground in Fyfield. We would, but sadly they are firm on the two shell rule.

I have a new Ithaca that's shooting very well indeed!  

16 hours ago, theshootist said:

I will indeed - very sorry that it did not happen last year.

I have asked if we would be welcome at the Essex Shooting Ground in Fyfield. We would, but sadly they are firm on the two shell rule.

I have a new Ithaca that's shooting very well indeed!  

Sounds promising. The reason I mentioned the Sywell range in Northampton is I have attended x3 of their semi auto comps there & they do allow 3 shots to be loaded as they also present a variety of targets with some stands having all 3 birds in the air as soon as you call for the target. Maybe we could ask to do that there ? & the North/South shoot at that ground ? Personally I don`t mind where we go, I am just looking to devote more time this year into shooting rather than messing with cars & welding.

Dan

12 hours ago, Mullard83 said:

Sounds promising. The reason I mentioned the Sywell range in Northampton is I have attended x3 of their semi auto comps there & they do allow 3 shots to be loaded as they also present a variety of targets with some stands having all 3 birds in the air as soon as you call for the target. Maybe we could ask to do that there ? & the North/South shoot at that ground ? Personally I don`t mind where we go, I am just looking to devote more time this year into shooting rather than messing with cars & welding.

Dan

I'd be happy to travel to Northampton, (is that north of Watford ?🤪) sounds like they would put on a suitable challenging comp for 3 shot pumps. The bugbears are always the date, how many will attend and what the range needs in terms of attendance. Worth sounding them out though

21 minutes ago, impala59 said:

I'd be happy to travel to Northampton, (is that north of Watford ?🤪) sounds like they would put on a suitable challenging comp for 3 shot pumps. The bugbears are always the date, how many will attend and what the range needs in terms of attendance. Worth sounding them out though

Hopefully if we can have date far enough in advance we can get the most amount of guns there. I'm certainly looking forward to meeting you lot.

12 hours ago, impala59 said:

They certainly could do it & present good targets. Looking at results from the last 120 semi auto comp, it appears there were under 100 entries & they usually put you in squads of 5-6 shooters. You can book up your own squad & check what times are available that suits. I suppose we would need to find out if there are enough interested people wanting to do a pump shoot before we enquire wether they would host it.

Dan.

On 18/01/2020 at 15:12, Sco77w said:

Well my pump family has gone through some changes over the years, some come, some go but these are all keepers. 

B37B4301-2A02-47C7-AFD7-783D91E2F5C7.jpeg

One modern and two classics! Very excellent!

On 16/01/2020 at 21:00, impala59 said:

A Brand new one? Did I miss one? I must be slipping! any pics?

Nope, 1960s. I shall endeavour to get a picture up. I shall tease you no longer!

1 hour ago, theshootist said:

Nope, 1960s. I shall endeavour to get a picture up. I shall tease you no longer!

Actually I’m pleased you got another one, everyone should have at least one and for my part I know where another one lives! Looking forward to the pics

On 18/01/2020 at 15:12, Sco77w said:

Well my pump family has gone through some changes over the years, some come, some go but these are all keepers. 

B37B4301-2A02-47C7-AFD7-783D91E2F5C7.jpeg

A nice threesome, demonstrating the history and the usability of the humble pump

IMHO many were lost to the post Hungerford (firearms amendment act 1988) £150 hand in where owners did not want to get involved with either section one or having their shotguns restricted. I know of at least 3 DSPS late ‘80’s models that went this way together with a number of other pumps from that time. Interestingly, it seemed at the time that many pumps were sacrificed where their sibling self loaders were restricted and stayed in ownership. Possibly due to the relatively low cash value of the pumps , £150 was probably a good sale price for an ‘an old clunker’ at that time. I don’t know if any records were kept of the hand in or subsequent destruction, or, indeed, if they would be accessible. Maybe one of the forum intelligentsia would know?

Edited by impala59

The auction houses seem to look for about £250 for a basic field model, DS and higher grade models command premium rates £3-500 but finding them is difficult. Many seem to have parts missing and parts are difficult to get as well. Some US companies won’t ship as Homeland Security takes an interest. I have bought some fairly cheaply, between £1-200 but have found many worn and broken parts, and much neglect. All are pre mid to late ‘80’s, many much earlier as none have made the crossing since about 1986.New are not available, nor likely to be at any given time. I make, or have made for me most parts and collecting Ithaca’s I find most rewarding, all mine are shooters now and all 100% reliable. They seem not to suit some people, I have found, I guess maybe they are a bit marmity

Of course there is also the Browning BPS , another bottom ejector and while it is occasionally available new (from Davey’s) they are around the £5-600 mark with used prices about the same as Ithaca’s. A similar action to the M37(but not the same) some would call it more sophisticated, these have been made by Miroku for Browning since the ‘70’s and are fine shotguns. All of these bottom ejectors originated from the genius of J M Browning with his Remington M17 20g. Now there’s a proper rare piece!

On 21/01/2020 at 09:56, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you do not see many ITHICA 37 light weight pumps for sale, is this a bottom Ejecter ?

It's a DSPS and yes it loads and ejects from the underside. Slam fires too for when you just need to burn money that little bit quicker