Pump Club

thepasty

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Does the 165 quid include reproof? I was quoted much more than that! 
Your cartridge choice seems ok to me, but it’s a personal thing; I like something a bit heavier through open chokes, but that’s possibly just psychological. 

Not sure but they told me they only cut the thread for their thin walled chokes, and that they can’t cut out threads such as Mobil or similar. So you have to have it threaded and then buy their chokes at £45 a pop. No thanks!! 

Anyways I took the gun for a walk just now, and saw an old tin sheet which I propped against a tree, nice pattern at 25 yards, good enough for skeet and a bit of walked up shooting for sure. 

Although might be shooting a little high, is gun shooting too high from short stock? It’s about 14” which I think might be A little too short for me. 

1 hour ago, impala59 said:

I would wait out for a multi choke barrel, put a few wanted ads out there and check the auction sites. An investment of that nature would add to the value whereas a modification to your existing barrel would possibly not be recuperable. 

I think you will find 26” skeet a great all rounder, it’s one of my favourites for balance and usability. Your auto barrel will fit but the ring element is much deeper so not sure if you will get it all back together (it’s an interesting thought actually, I might try mine over the weekend) would be a great fix if it works!

I think that’s what I’ll do mate, will keep an eye out for another barrel, although I took the gun for a walk tonight and the short barrel is nice and light and quick. 

Let me know if your barrel swaps over, but I read online they’re not the same 🤔

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheap and very cool little pump! 20 bore Savage. Look at the brass ends to the slide 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/savage-arms/pump-action/20-gauge/620-200208170615506

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Not sure but they told me they only cut the thread for their thin walled chokes, and that they can’t cut out threads such as Mobil or similar. So you have to have it threaded and then buy their chokes at £45 a pop. No thanks!! 

Anyways I took the gun for a walk just now, and saw an old tin sheet which I propped against a tree, nice pattern at 25 yards, good enough for skeet and a bit of walked up shooting for sure. 

Although might be shooting a little high, is gun shooting too high from short stock? It’s about 14” which I think might be A little too short for me. 

I think that’s what I’ll do mate, will keep an eye out for another barrel, although I took the gun for a walk tonight and the short barrel is nice and light and quick. 

You will find a spare barrel.. It's just a matter of time!

52 minutes ago, theshootist said:

Cheap and very cool little pump! 20 bore Savage. Look at the brass ends to the slide 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/savage-arms/pump-action/20-gauge/620-200208170615506

You will find a spare barrel.. It's just a matter of time!

I'm sure mate, was just a matter of time to find this amazing pump :D

Evening Gents,

Not a pump but relevant I think, I've shot everything except wildfowl with a Miroku 600 26" skeet gun for 45+ yrs. It's always done the job for me, all I do is change the shot size and wadding dependant on what I'm expecting  to shoot. 

Thanks for the kind remarks re my latest purchase, will post some photos when it arrives.

Steve

2 hours ago, theshootist said:

That is actually a nice looking Savage and a bargain at that price. Unfortunately Savage pumps seem to have a bad reputation, possibly because of abuse and poor maintenance. Those that have crossed my path, about 12 if I recall, were all cheapies and while I did have to scrap a few, the salvaged parts made the rest into good guns and helped a few folk with missing parts. All of the scrapped receivers had been attacked with various tools and one was completely crushed at the rear end. With a little care and a proper take down and reassemble regime an all steel Savage should last a lifetime. Were it not for cabinet space I would take a punt on this

On 13/02/2020 at 18:58, Lloyd90 said:

Well they don't, no real surprises there I suppose. But mine would never fit anyway as in a Homer Simpson  moment I forgot that my Wingmaster is right handed and my 1187 is a lefty Doh!!🤪

On 13/02/2020 at 22:22, impala59 said:

That is actually a nice looking Savage and a bargain at that price. Unfortunately Savage pumps seem to have a bad reputation, possibly because of abuse and poor maintenance. Those that have crossed my path, about 12 if I recall, were all cheapies and while I did have to scrap a few, the salvaged parts made the rest into good guns and helped a few folk with missing parts. All of the scrapped receivers had been attacked with various tools and one was completely crushed at the rear end. With a little care and a proper take down and reassemble regime an all steel Savage should last a lifetime. Were it not for cabinet space I would take a punt on this

I seem to recall that Savage pumps were sold under more than one name?   They were certainly on the cheap and neglect end of the spectrum.  

11 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

I seem to recall that Savage pumps were sold under more than one name?   They were certainly on the cheap and neglect end of the spectrum.  

They were also marketed under the Stevens name and by the Sears company under the JC Higgins brand until replaced by the Hi Standard models. Possibly also sold under other banners too. Quite valuable as collectors pieces now. Were it not for lack of space , I would invest in Savage pumps as there’s a future, I believe in these historic old guns. I don’t think my better half would appreciate a few more cabinets!

Edited by impala59

Shot the Wingmaster today, firstly on skeet, during which I hit plenty, even a fair few doubles. I had no problem working the pump and taking the next shot :) I didn't bother taking the score card as just a bit of fun but wish I had now as had some good shots and hit at least 15+ using 28g 9's. 

I then took the gun down the woods on the sporting setup, again didn't take the score card but think I had at least 30-35 / 50. Not a bad go, and was surprised when the gun hit some of the longer crossers as well as the in close ones. 

If it is cylinder choke I am very surprised that it took some of the furthest clays on the setup :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Just a quick one to show my latest addition to the family. Another Ithaca M37 from 1987, seemingly with very little use and no abuse. When it stops raining for 10 minutes looking forwards to trying it on a few clays in  field next to house. It's only the third one I've had ........... so long way to go to catch up with Impala!

Regards

Steve 

20200229_141052.jpg

Thanks for your kind remarks gents, and thanks for the correction Impala, it is a 1977 not '87 and is further thus dated by the chequering on the stock, rather than the rolled on later guns and the smaller 'corn cob' fore end unlike to larger ones on later guns.The dealer who sold it told me that it was owned by an 'eccentric' gentleman who had owned it from new, and had sold his entire collection due to a stroke. Looking at it, I'd guess it he was a collector rather than a shooter as I've never had a used gun with so little blemishes upon it including my B2G

Looking forwards to Impala having a 'feel of the steel' when he visits later this summer and his consequential words of wisdom.

Regards to all

Steve

I had a 70's (I think) 1897 with the flaming bomb logo all over it, and on the end of the barrel half hidden by the polychoke, it had the three threaded cuts for a bayonet lug/heat shield. There are repros available in the States but good luck getting one shipped over. I saw one at a militaria show recently but they wanted silly money for it!

4 hours ago, Sco77w said:

Hey pumpers. Has anyone fitted a bayonet lug and heat shield to a uk legal 1897.  

I fancy adding one to mine but I'd like to see one done first. 

It would probably be almost unique this side of the pond, even the Winchester owners forum is pretty sleepy with regard to ‘97’s. A few 1897’s are over here but, and it’s a wild guess, I would say that they are civilian models not military. Maybe you should be the first?! 

Do you have the bayonet lug? Also you’d probably need a 1917 pattern bayonet, poke that at the clays!

18 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I would love a 1897, promise myself one every Saturday night.

What I love about pumps, the mechanical interaction of the parts, is all on display in the 97. I too promise myself one, amongst all the others on my list (that seems to only get longer🤨 ) I wonder sometimes  if I will ever get to the point where I am satisfied with my collection , somehow I doubt it☹️

11 minutes ago, impala59 said:

What I love about pumps, the mechanical interaction of the parts, is all on display in the 97. I too promise myself one, amongst all the others on my list (that seems to only get longer🤨 ) I wonder sometimes  if I will ever get to the point where I am satisfied with my collection , somehow I doubt it☹️

Yep I know exactly what you mean, I'd also quite like a model 1901 Winchester.

I'd probably settle for a deact  97 but i prefer the idea of having one on ticket so I feel like I'm actually preserving it for the future.

On 07/03/2020 at 17:51, Scully said:

I think the heat shields are easy enough to get hold of; my S1 Mossberg has one. Bayonet lug may be a different matter. 

They are available in the States and I have someone that can send me one but the trench guns have 20" barrels and mine has been cut down (not by me may I add) to the uk minimum legal length of 24". Just wondered if it would look ok or not. 

6 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Yep I know exactly what you mean, I'd also quite like a model 1901 Winchester.

I'd probably settle for a deact  97 but i prefer the idea of having one on ticket so I feel like I'm actually preserving it for the future.

The 1901 is a great gun but if you want to shoot a big lever gun then the Chiapa copy of the 1887 is the way to go. I find them very ungainly though, the 1897 is a much better shooter.