thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 08/09/2020 at 19:47, Sco77w said:

Where have all the cheep Mossberg 500s gone? 

I gad a 500ATP a few years ago that I gave £100 for at a local gun shop then not long back I had a Maverick 88 that I gave even less for now I want a 500 again (section 2) and the bargains just don't seem to be around. Anyone know of any?

Got mine last year at the shooting show for £90

Section 1 so I guess it’s a smaller market. 

20 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Any prices for Remington 1100 wing master seen them for just over a grand New was wondering if any one know if there’s better prices 

You'd be lucky as the 1100 and the Wingmaster are totally different guns aren't they? 

There's the 1100 (Semi-auto) and the 870 Wingmaster (Pump Action). Assume you meant the 870 as this is the pump club.

You can pickup a variety of used Wingmasters used although they come up rarely. Some are posted at a good price, some as posted at what I would consider a high price ... and often remain unsold. 

Some on sale on here from time to time. 

Turns out my Ithaca 37 does NOT like Gamebore Velocity cartridges. Ironically I bought a bunch of the cartridges because they're the only thing my brother's 1100 works with, and my new (to me but ancient) A5 likes them too.

Had to slam the butt against the floor to clear it. Chamber was nice and clean too.

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You'd be lucky as the 1100 and the Wingmaster are totally different guns aren't they? 

There's the 1100 (Semi-auto) and the 870 Wingmaster (Pump Action). Assume you meant the 870 as this is the pump club.

You can pickup a variety of used Wingmasters used although they come up rarely. Some are posted at a good price, some as posted at what I would consider a high price ... and often remain unsold. 

Some on sale on here from time to time. 

Sorry mate yes I meant Pump been on looking some good 2nd hand models on line for half the price I don’t need a pump as I have a semi but you know what us shooters are like buying guns just to have them 😁😁

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents, 

Never used G/B in anything but O/U guns, but extraction problems with my first M37 were solved by polishing the chamber to a mirror finish, and using 'high brass' shells like Winchester Super Speeds which cured it.

Worth checking the condition of the extractor claws and that the top one is correctly aligned woth the 'slot' machined in the barrel.

Hope these 'words of wisdom' from Impala originally help.

Steve  

• 2 weeks later...

After ensuring that the chamber is scrupulously clean/polished, the way to re-assemble the M37 for reliable extraction (IMHO) is to use a device similar to that shown below. Easily made from aluminium, plastic, wood or what have you.

150726592_37tool(2).JPG.2e06b2b233615723e245fae6c316194d.JPG

Form a "shoe" or similar that is a sticky interference fit in the slot in the roof of the receiver. Ensure that your 'tool' has a triangular nose that will slide fully into the top extractor cutout in the barrel. With the barrel loosely in place, slide the nose into the extractor slot to lock together the barrel and receiver (rotationally) Holding the tool in place lock the barrel in place by tightening the mag cap against the barrel lug. I, additionally, then slide the magazine locating clamp (this should be loose while locating the barrel) hard against the mag cap and locking in place so preventing the mag cap from undoing. This was originally a military fix to stop GI's from loosening stuff in the field

The M37 uses interrupted threads to hold the barrel securely. By necessity there is a degree of free play so as to permit an easy 90 degree rotation in and out of the receiver,  by aligning your barrel correctly you should not suffer poor extraction, 'stuck shut' situations or fired cartridges left in the chamber. You will also avoid chipping your extractors (expensive and not easy to get now) A few moments at the end of your cleaning regime will ensure your next shoot is not spoilt by failures.

Choose your ammunition carefully, I find that all Eley, comp x and gamebore (generally) are less reliable in the M37, possibly due to the profile of the rim. Look to use at least 12mm brass, I have found that some of the 8 to 10mm brass can also be problematic All those brands mentioned are fine that I use in my double guns without problems

Hope that helps '37 owners

HI pump club.

I just got myself a Remington Sportsman 12. After a bit of internet searching, apparently they were made in the mid 80's and were a cheaper version of the 870 Wingmaster. It looks to me like it's not seen much use at all, I've just had it apart for a clean and inspection. I've not shot it yet, but am looking forward to.

Anyone else got or had one of these?

20201011_183500_copy_1064x2304.jpg

20201011_183515_copy_1064x2304.jpg

15 minutes ago, akka said:

HI pump club.

I just got myself a Remington Sportsman 12. After a bit of internet searching, apparently they were made in the mid 80's and were a cheaper version of the 870 Wingmaster. It looks to me like it's not seen much use at all, I've just had it apart for a clean and inspection. I've not shot it yet, but am looking forward to.

Anyone else got or had one of these?

That's sweet. I wonder what kind of cost-cutting went into that gun compared to the Wingmaster. It looks nicer than an Express

Edited by Opossum

7 hours ago, Opossum said:

That's sweet. I wonder what kind of cost-cutting went into that gun compared to the Wingmaster. It looks nicer than an Express

The sportsman 12 pump was introduced around 1985 as a lower cost option to the wingmaster. The only difference is the species of wood used. It is a hardwood but not walnut as on the wingy. You probably have an M suffix on the serial number which denotes 3” They only ran the model for a couple of years, along with semi autos and rifles which shared the sportsman name. A marketing exercise perhaps. It was replaced by the express which had a Matt finish. You basically have a quality Remington 870 that should last a lifetime, enjoy!

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Sold the rattling mossberg and back to Winchester 👍

IMG_20201018_140008.jpg

IMG_20201018_140019.jpg

Was talking to a copper over the weekend who has had to return his SXP to the manufacturer as it was jamming. I was quite surprised as it’s not something you hear much of regarding pumps. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Scully said:

Was talking to a copper over the weekend who has had to return his SXP to the manufacturer as it was jamming. I was quite surprised as it’s not something you hear much of regarding pumps. 🤷‍♂️

This is actually my second. The first one had to be returned because of it jamming due to a tiny (2-3mm) bit of plastic breaking on the mag tube inlet. That was 2ish years ago. I then went the mossberg way but absolutely detested the rattle and bulk of it. So I've just sold that and took the risk and bought a second sxp at avalon guns in Mendip. Got a free hat too for having my photo taken 😂

IMG_20201018_144235.jpg.55aca2b603ca1f0b2561121984e5b933.jpgready for the rabbit bashing this week

4 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

This is actually my second. The first one had to be returned because of it jamming due to a tiny (2-3mm) bit of plastic breaking on the mag tube inlet. That was 2ish years ago. I then went the mossberg way but absolutely detested the rattle and bulk of it. So I've just sold that and took the risk and bought a second sxp at avalon guns in Mendip. Got a free hat too for having my photo taken 😂

Good call....I’d do owt for a free hat! 👍🙂

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ive got a mask and hat on. Pretty sure mi5 couldn't tell who the hell i am 😂

😂 Yeah, seemed pretty weird to me the other day when in Lakeland Guns, answering the door to let in someone wearing a mask! 
‘Yeah, he’s got a mask on so he’s ok!’ 😳

I’m not so well versed in the more modern pumps but have a few mates who have had magazine throat failure on SXP’s. It’s a plastic part and would appear to be a weak area. I’m surprised nobody has come up with a metal modification, I guess like car parts the ongoing sales of disposable parts is good business. If it were mine I think I would carry a spare. Having said that, an SXP running right is a fast and light piece of kit 

9 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

IMG_20201018_144235.jpg.55aca2b603ca1f0b2561121984e5b933.jpgready for the rabbit bashing this week

I bought an SXP from there a few weeks back. My first pump and messing with it in store just the sound of racking it gave me an ear to ear grin so I had to buy it. I only shoot clays and have an o/u and sxs so this was supposed to be a bit of fun. Shot it for the first time at Mendip yesterday and I seem to have just clicked with this gun. My hits were way more consistent that with my other guns (im not a great shot so I’m only talking about breaking 70%ish).

Now Im a bit gutted because the gun that’s chosen me is the gun that isnt the most favoured for that purpose. It drew a few spectat