Pump Club

thepasty

6 hours ago, impala59 said:

I’m not so well versed in the more modern pumps but have a few mates who have had magazine throat failure on SXP’s. It’s a plastic part and would appear to be a weak area. I’m surprised nobody has come up with a metal modification, I guess like car parts the ongoing sales of disposable parts is good business. If it were mine I think I would carry a spare. Having said that, an SXP running right is a fast and light piece of kit 

Would you be able to find out where they got spares from please? 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Would you be able to find out where they got spares from please? 

I believe that one of them was on holiday in Florida and got a local gun shop to get a few ( about $4 each I think) I will ask when I see them. As a plastic part you should be able to order them from the states

2 hours ago, impala59 said:

I believe that one of them was on holiday in Florida and got a local gun shop to get a few ( about $4 each I think) I will ask when I see them. As a plastic part you should be able to order them from the states

Yep quick Google and its a $5 part. Going to have a chat with a mate, see if he can get me sent over 👍

10 hours ago, Nobby2082 said:

I bought an SXP from there a few weeks back. My first pump and messing with it in store just the sound of racking it gave me an ear to ear grin so I had to buy it. I only shoot clays and have an o/u and sxs so this was supposed to be a bit of fun. Shot it for the first time at Mendip yesterday and I seem to have just clicked with this gun. My hits were way more consistent that with my other guns (im not a great shot so I’m only talking about breaking 70%ish).

Now Im a bit gutted because the gun that’s chosen me is the gun that isnt the most favoured for that purpose. It drew a few spectat

Ive never had a higher score than with the sxp. I believe 90% of it is in my head, but i just click with this gun and I don't give a **** about the tweed brigade, especially when I slaughter their poor scores with my black - tactical-(too them) pump gun. Enjoy it mate, just be careful taking the trigger group out 😅

Thanks mate. To be honest, I think there’s a place for tradition. Making a sense of occasion out of things. But.. when it came to it, I was using a gun i enjoyed to shoot clays. The  racking wasnt so loud as to draw a load of attention. I think it was the single barrel and complete blackness/plastic all over the thing that did that initially. But Im a convert and i kind of liked the fact that out of 10’s of wooden stocked o/u’s ranging from a few hundred quid to 1000’s (and from a small distance you wouldn’t know which was which), the sxp stood out in the crowd. Brilliant! Although i would still like to work out why the scores don’t translate to my o/u because I’d still like to be able to hit something with that. 

Im due to look for rabbits soon. I had a sxs ready for that.. but its going to be the sxp again. 

2 hours ago, Nobby2082 said:

Thanks mate. To be honest, I think there’s a place for tradition. Making a sense of occasion out of things. But.. when it came to it, I was using a gun i enjoyed to shoot clays. The  racking wasnt so loud as to draw a load of attention. I think it was the single barrel and complete blackness/plastic all over the thing that did that initially. But Im a convert and i kind of liked the fact that out of 10’s of wooden stocked o/u’s ranging from a few hundred quid to 1000’s (and from a small distance you wouldn’t know which was which), the sxp stood out in the crowd. Brilliant! Although i would still like to work out why the scores don’t translate to my o/u because I’d still like to be able to hit something with that. 

Im due to look for rabbits soon. I had a sxs ready for that.. but its going to be the sxp again. 

I must admit to enjoying shooting clays with a pump. Where I shoot, most of the lads and lasses are genuinely interested as its something different, unusual and historical. I always make an extra effort to 'show clear' when I am leaving a stand, and always call 'Clear' whether anyone is observing or not. (incidentally I use the same process when using a semi auto) It shows awareness of what I am doing and gives a nod of respect to those who prefer a break action gun. If I attend a shoot for the first time I consider it courteous to advise the people running the day of the gun(s) I will be using.

I would love it if next time the Olympics are on for someone to use a pump, there are some serious pump trap guns out there at eyewatering prices, like the Ithaca 37 trap below

37trap.jpeg.2ef4d2e6a81cce070a25a8c248726dbc.jpeg

On 18/10/2020 at 17:07, strimmer_13 said:

This is actually my second. The first one had to be returned because of it jamming due to a tiny (2-3mm) bit of plastic breaking on the mag tube inlet. That was 2ish years ago. I then went the mossberg way but absolutely detested the rattle and bulk of it. So I've just sold that and took the risk and bought a second sxp at avalon guns in Mendip. Got a free hat too for having my photo taken 😂

IMG_20201018_144235.jpg.55aca2b603ca1f0b2561121984e5b933.jpgready for the rabbit bashing this week

Just seen you on Instagram you handsome devil 🤭

How did you get on with the rabbits?

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Just seen you on Instagram you handsome devil 🤭

How did you get on with the rabbits?

Ace ain't it 😂 love these masks, can't see what I look like, and to think I actually trimmed the beard that morning too 😁

For a number of reasons, rain, my pills and work I've not been out yet. I'll try it tomorrow morning if it's not hoofing it down 

I think clay grounds are becoming more accepting of the "single barrel brigade" in fact I know of of several chaps who go on some very posh driven shoots who also have a "plastic fantastic" for wild fowling. SpecificallyI know of a chap with a true pair of H&H sidelocks who has an SX3 in black plastic. And he takes it to Bisley Play and play for a few sessions every year!

Edited by Scrumbag

3 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ace ain't it 😂 love these masks, can't see what I look like, and to think I actually trimmed the beard that morning too 😁

For a number of reasons, rain, my pills and work I've not been out yet. I'll try it tomorrow morning if it's not hoofing it down 

I know, I might just carry on wearing one 😂

Hope the weather holds out for you then, let us know how you get on 👍

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I know, I might just carry on wearing one 😂

Hope the weather holds out for you then, let us know how you get on 👍

Will do, I doubt I'll shoot anything worthy, tho I noticed a few squirrels that deserve a few carts. 

Cleaned the factory grease out, very light oiling on the moving parts and shes ready to rock. Gonna Google how to permanently extend the stock, another little project seeing as I've just finished the meteor 

Also cant be too long, got to drive Devizes way to see family so only got 3-4 hours shooting 😭

2 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Will do, I doubt I'll shoot anything worthy, tho I noticed a few squirrels that deserve a few carts. 

Cleaned the factory grease out, very light oiling on the moving parts and shes ready to rock. Gonna Google how to permanently extend the stock, another little project seeing as I've just finished the meteor 

Also cant be too long, got to drive Devizes way to see family so only got 3-4 hours shooting 😭

Yep shoot in site. 

Spent best part of 3 years clearing them from the hedges round out garden and saw the first one at the start of this week. Eley wasp sorted him out.

I do like a pump and miss my sxp. 

Time spent in the field is never wasted though 🙂👍

I miss my savage/Stevens 79, don't get me wrong I was useless with it shooting quarry but used to very well on clays with it. Mind you I just 'clicked' with my last sxp until it broke. To be sure, I've just asked a mate who deals in America to get me a few spares shipped over, £50 each here, $5 over the pond. Mental. 

I just think pumps represent really good value for money. I still haven't had a chance to use my SB yet, gave it a full strip clean and lube and put a couple light loads through it just to make sure it actually worked and that was it. Need a nice pad for it now to soften it up a bit, would love a nice sunburst pad really but I doubt I'll find one. 

That's outrageous, I hope the trade deal with the state's goes as far as Winchester cartridges and sensibly priced parts as well as chlorinated chicken 😂

It's ridiculous. Seeing as winchester has pretty much stopped making guns in America and gets it done in Europe or Japan, parts should be more available at sensible prices. As for carts, I could understand that, the profit margin for exporting a heavy slab of lead and plastic can't be that great. 

As for chlorinated chicken, can't be worse than all the halal meat we get, by that I don't care about the religion - just the way it's slaughtered. That's another subject tho and one I'll not bring up or I could see zapp zapping a few on here 

Edited by strimmer_13

I didn't realise that but that makes it 10x worse.

As for cartridges, Winchester's being used over here was before my shooting time, how widely available were they before and at what sort of price? Profit probably wouldn't be massive but who knows what will happen with Europe.

I had to pick on chlorinated chicken just because of all the hoo-ha about it at the moment 😂 but yeah, I'm sure there's far worse about, I'm really hoping over the next couple years to reduce our shop brought meat to next to nothing other than the odd leg of lamb from the butcher.

Well I shot like a absolute tart. Missed a perfection of a flight onto land (no dog so don't shoot over water) on a mallard because I was too busy faffing around talking to my mate. Then missed a squirrel. And another. Then a jackdaw. Then dropped the gun in cow ****. Then my mate who without a shadow of doubt is the worst shot (not being sarky there either, even he admits he's useless) had a duck and a pigeon which I'd ranged too far to bother. Gun is fine, think I'm just going to ask the farmer if I can go somewhere quiet with a slab and let rip to  get my mount and shouldering back in check 😭

On 24/10/2020 at 14:52, Scrumbag said:

I think clay grounds are becoming more accepting of the "single barrel brigade" in fact I know of of several chaps who go on some very posh driven shoots who also have a "plastic fantastic" for wild fowling. SpecificallyI know of a chap with a true pair of H&H sidelocks who has an SX3 in black plastic. And he takes it to Bisley Play and play for a few sessions every year!

They are perfectly acceptable on my shoot! We are a mixed pheasant and duck shoot so are shooting steel too. A drive will see side by sides, over and unders, plastic semi autos and the occasional vintage pump. 

6 hours ago, theshootist said:

They are perfectly acceptable on my shoot! We are a mixed pheasant and duck shoot so are shooting steel too. A drive will see side by sides, over and unders, plastic semi autos and the occasional vintage pump. 

Sounds just like our syndicate; anything legal is allowed, from rattly old pumps and autos to the best London guns. Rough shoot even more so. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Afternoon,

Previous O/U & S/A owner, just purchased a Mossberg 20g Hushpower pump.

Bit front heavy, but feels fine, I have put a 20mm rail on the receiver that has a channel running down the middle, lines up nicely with the front bead.

Cant wait to get out with it.

Welcome to the club and hope you enjoy many happy years of pumping! ;)

• 2 months later...

I have a 20mm rail for my Mossy.  The cheap red dot that I fitted was awful in low light, but great for slugs and being lazy with roosting birds.   

I have another 200mm rail on the front of the magtube at 8 o'clock.  It is handy for mounting torches.  Your thumb is right behind the button on a 25mm torch with the switch on the end cap.  Even a cheapy LED torch stands up to the recoil.  Ledray works best mind.  High power and an amber filter.  

6 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

I have a 20mm rail for my Mossy.  The cheap red dot that I fitted was awful in low light, but great for slugs and being lazy with roosting birds.   

I have another 200mm rail on the front of the magtube at 8 o'clock.  It is handy for mounting torches.  Your thumb is right behind the button on a 25mm torch with the switch on the end cap.  Even a cheapy LED torch stands up to the recoil.  Ledray works best mind.  High power and an amber filter.  

That's what I found. Red dots aren't great in low light for 2 reasons:

1) The dot is made up of light (so adds impetus for your iris to close)

2) The screen is coated so that it reflects red wave lengths so you can see the dot means so that less light comes from your target to the screen.

But for slugs they are great. I hope one of these days to sort out a running boar target to use them on.

Scrummy