thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Dave779 said:

Mine is a 1980 Police/Wingmaster model as confirmed by Remington with the serial number, however some kind person has put woodwork on made from a Walnut Crotch apparently. Do you know the difference between the Police model back then compared to a Wingmaster please ?

210826205753670-1-680x410-c.jpg

210826205753670-3-330x198-c.jpg

Hi Dave the police had the 18inch or 20inch plain  cylinder barrel and the corn cob forend.Mine was originally 20inch according to Remington.The standard wingmasters had 26inch onwards vented barrels and standard forend.Also checkering on the stock and forend that the police never had.The older police 80s models like ours had wingmaster stamped on the receiver but the late 80s ones was stamped police and had 3inch chambers.

Edited by Green hornet

7 hours ago, Green hornet said:

Hi Dave the police had the 18inch or 20inch plain  cylinder barrel and the corn cob forend.Mine was originally 20inch according to Remington.The standard wingmasters had 26inch onwards vented barrels and standard forend.Also checkering on the stock and forend that the police never had.The older police 80s models like ours had wingmaster stamped on the receiver but the late 80s ones was stamped police and had 3inch chambers.

Thanks for that, mine has a 1975 26" imp cylinder choke barrel that someone replaced for UK use.

• 2 weeks later...

Another joins the family! Thanks Henry!

This Nice condition, unmolested, 1960 example is my second 'sweet 16', 16 gauge model 37. Originally a 24" improved cylinder (as manufactured) it sports a factory fitted 'deluxe Poly Choke/ compensator' which seems to have been a popular modification on 16 gauge guns back then, this adds 3" to the barrel length Nicely figured, undamaged wood under much aged and dark finish, I think this one will restore very nicely, thank you! Only downs are one slightly chewed screw head and a missing butt plate, but hey, I have to have something to do! A complete component level strip down is on the cards over the next few days and will hopefully reveal internals as good as the outside, it certainly feels good, slick as all its siblings are and this is one of my favourite gauges for clays and the odd pigeons

376033186_new16(1).JPG.16e59d9753a34c1bf55516fbc443ec1a.JPG

Almost 62 years old and solid as the day it left the factory, I do love these guns!

Edited by impala59

No problem Roland! It's a lovely honest gun but sadly for me I need the space. I like that Ithaca went to the trouble to make a smaller receiver, rather than just sticking a smaller barrel on a 12 bore receiver, which happens with so many modern over and unders. I love that there is a 'slug' setting on the poly choke! 

No plastic in sight on these guns, just milled and forged steel and wood! 

• 1 month later...

Anyone came across a mossberg 500 than jams once fired.will not pump back .it takes a a lot of force to eject the case.And its not  a fired round jamming in the barrel btw this is a gun issue not a cartridge one..Im told its the lugs than hold the feed ramp in place.its only happened twice but once is enough????

Edited by bishop

4 minutes ago, bishop said:

Anyone came across a mossberg 500 than jams once fired.will not pump back .it takes a a lot of force to eject the case.And its not  a fired round jamming in the barrel btw this is a gun issue not a cartridge one..Im told its the lugs than hold the feed ramp in place.its only happened twice but once is enough????

When you say jams when fired do distinguish that from releasing the slide with a cartridge chambered?

Obviously you’ve considered the cartridge expansion etc.

I have 12g & 410 neither exhibit this issue 

D

nope not expansion you can have the  spent case exposed  and its still stuck fast inside the mechanism

3 minutes ago, Downforce said:

When you say jams when fired do distinguish that from releasing the slide with a cartridge chambered?

Obviously you’ve considered the cartridge expansion etc.

I have 12g & 410 neither exhibit this issue 

D

Mossberg 500 problems - Bing video

this is the issue i have.

Hello from a dull Devon,

Whilst in the midst of a protracted coterminous renewal (a six month saga!!) I came across this little gem from September 1942 giving detailed instructions for the use, maintenance, stripping and reassembly of these shotguns for use by the US Army. I've been interested in US WW2 vehicles, militaria and firearms for 50+years but never come across this before.  Sorry I can't show you more of this fascinating and relevant (to me)  historic publication

Hope 'pumpers' all enjoy

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

17 minutes ago, stevethejeep said:

Hello from a dull Devon,

Whilst in the midst of a protracted coterminous renewal (a six month saga!!) I came across this little gem from September 1942 giving detailed instructions for the use, maintenance, stripping and reassembly of these shotguns for use by the US Army. I've been interested in US WW2 vehicles, militaria and firearms for 50+years but never come across this before.  Sorry I can't show you more of this fascinating and relevant (to me)  historic publication

Hope 'pumpers' all enjoy

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

That is really cool 

Thank you for the kind remarks, I've no idea how to digitise it Scrumbag, waaay above my paygrade !! Only recently found out how to cook meat 'ere! 

Seriously as it's 80yrs old this year I'd be reluctant to force it open 'flat' as might destroy the spine and bindings as probably not top quality to begin with, being a 'industrial' publication. 

There's a local printer/bookbinder in Tiverton, I might see if he's any ideas. 

3 hours ago, stevethejeep said:

I've no idea how to digitise it Scrumbag,

You’ve already digitised several pages by taking pictures but depending on how many pages there are, you could just walk it down to your nearest printers and ask them to scan it for you 

I don’t think that’s normally expensive but I’d be happy to chip in if I can get a copy 🙂 

D

Hello again,

I've recently stumbled across the Marlin 1898 pump, which I'd not heard of before. I wasn't aware that Marlin made p/a shotguns (I've had several of their excellent rifles)  This shotgun bears more than a passing resemblance to JMB's design the Winchester 1897. Has anyone had a 'hands on' experience or better still fired one?

I've not heard of a Marlin shotgun before, but they renowned for good quality lever action rifles pre the Ruger takeover.

Marlins are well worth looking at Steve, I regretfully missed one at auction a while back. As you say their rifles are good quality (except later model rear sights which seem to split at a puff of wind!) and you would not be disappointed with one of their pumps.

With regards to the manual, as scrumbag intimated, digitising (photographing/scanning) could probably be easily done by your local printer, as a bookbinder they would also assess the fragility and suitability for reproducing. 
I really want to read this manual too! Also happy to contribute!

Hi one and all,  found these reproductions available at very modest cost from within the UK hope this helps you fellow 'pumpers'.  Let me know how you get on.

Impala, do I recognise the '37DS posted Nov 22?? Damn fine gun! I have had a 1960s Marlin 39A Mountie for decades which is a wonderful gun, equal favourite rifle to my Winchester 62a pump which is another old friend.

Best Wishes

Steve

The US Army WWII Shotgun Handbook_ Shotguns, All Types - War Department Technical Manual, 1942 (TM 9-285) - Full Size Edition by Media, Carlile_ As New (2019) _ GreatBookPricesUK.html The US Army WWII Shotgun Handbook_ Shotguns, All Types - War Department Technical Manual, 1942 (TM 9-285) - Full Size Edition by Media, Carlile_ As New (2019) _ GreatBookPricesUK (1).html