Pump Club

thepasty

16 minutes ago, impala59 said:

One wonders if the pigeons knew which side they were on! Do carrier pigeons taste good and would they be seen as 'fair game' to supplement bully beef and biscuits?  On that note we return firmly to Pigeon Watch!

Only if they were called “Speckled Jim”!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 16/02/2022 at 18:49, Scully said:

I’m assuming German carrier pigeons were identified by the black crosses on their wings? 🙂

Surely, in WW1, they would be multi coloured or gaudy reds, pinks and purples as the hun favoured painting their flying machines? 

Just now, impala59 said:

Surely, in WW1, they would be multi coloured or gaudy reds, pinks and purples as the hun favoured painting their flying machines? 

Now there would be an interesting painting Scully! Pigeon/ flying machine hybrid!

I’m getting pictures in my head now of **** Dastardly (surely modelled on the evil hun) in the “stop the pigeon” cartoons and the pigeon with flying helmet and goggles.

they do say as you get older things from one’s childhood are recollected in preference to the short term memory

**** not edited by me! Apparently Richard cannot be shortened on PW!🤪

Edited by impala59

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Yep, had the SXP out for an hour Saturday morning, shot well with it, 3 pigeons flighting along the sea wall.

Out of interest I bought a nearly new super nova in the spring.  Tried it once on roosting pigeons and a round of clays.  Again shot well enough with it but sold it on as it just felt too big and heavy compared to  the SXP although probably better build quality.

37 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

Yep, had the SXP out for an hour Saturday morning, shot well with it, 3 pigeons flighting along the sea wall.

Out of interest I bought a nearly new super nova in the spring.  Tried it once on roosting pigeons and a round of clays.  Again shot well enough with it but sold it on as it just felt too big and heavy compared to  the SXP although probably better build quality.

Good man. The supernova is a chunky old unit right enough, particularly the forend. I wonder if someone could make an aftermarket one

The thing is, of course, that not all German WWI grenades were "stick grenades". Some were "egg grenades" and some were "discus grenades" (which latter were very like two standard clay pigeons stuck together to make an oyster shape).

For sure the trench guns wouldn't stop every grenade and I suspect that the men using them were there for other purposes too. But you use what you have and if it works more often than it doesn't work well it's better than nothing at all.

Edited by enfieldspares

Morning folks,

Well, not a bad morning. 1 hen mallard and 1 canada for 7 shots with the Mossberg 535.

(Should have been less, 3 were at a duck that I had a really bad mount for, those 42gr 3.5" No.3 Mamouths are going leave a mark on my arm).

Canada fell to a 42gr 3.5 Winchester blindside No.1

Scrummy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is also a Franchi Spas !

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/southams-auctioneers-and-valuers/catalogue-id-srso10067/lot-92a0f973-1a5a-4b59-beff-af5400acb1fb

Edited by theshootist

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jaymo said:
On 29/11/2022 at 23:00, theshootist said:

There is also a Franchi Spas !

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/southams-auctioneers-and-valuers/catalogue-id-srso10067/lot-92a0f973-1a5a-4b59-beff-af5400acb1fb

Shame I missed this post as would have had a punt on that. 

I think it went for £850 or £950 plus fees etc, so not exactly cheap 

Not been on for a while due to many unfortunate reasons, but wish to convey compliments of the season to all Pump club contributors, many that I have happily met and the myriad that I have conversed with. Hoping for a better New Year, (couldn't be worse than this one) Look out for some of the 37's I have collected over the years on up-coming Holts sales, all good examples maintained and cherished by me (needs must I am afraid 😞 ) Still in the game though, just much reduced personal stash! Managed to scrape 3rd place in my club pump league despite more absences than I have had in previous years so not all bad!  Still able to supply some 37 parts if required, also advice info etc. (not for business or profit, just for the love and to keep them all working)

So Merry Christmas to you all and a happy New Year, Keep pumping, keep contributing and keep Pump Club at the top of the page!

17 hours ago, impala59 said:

Not been on for a while due to many unfortunate reasons, but wish to convey compliments of the season to all Pump club contributors, many that I have happily met and the myriad that I have conversed with. Hoping for a better New Year, (couldn't be worse than this one) Look out for some of the 37's I have collected over the years on up-coming Holts sales, all good examples maintained and cherished by me (needs must I am afraid 😞 ) Still in the game though, just much reduced personal stash! Managed to scrape 3rd place in my club pump league despite more absences than I have had in previous years so not all bad!  Still able to supply some 37 parts if required, also advice info etc. (not for business or profit, just for the love and to keep them all working)

So Merry Christmas to you all and a happy New Year, Keep pumping, keep contributing and keep Pump Club at the top of the page!

Sorry to hear that matey! I’ll look out for some of your collection. Sure to be good quality!