Pump Club

thepasty

On 29/02/2024 at 15:47, theshootist said:

Seen! I was going to call and ask whether the takedown joint was pinned as part of conversion to Sect 2. Unfortunately more of these lovely guns are being spoiled (in my view) in doing this. 

Yeah is true

Very interesting old Remington 

https://www.southamsauction.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-902---s2-20-bore-remington-model-17-pump-action-3/?lot=467156&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=484&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&pn=6&g=1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 29/02/2024 at 15:47, theshootist said:

Seen! I was going to call and ask whether the takedown joint was pinned as part of conversion to Sect 2. Unfortunately more of these lovely guns are being spoiled (in my view) in doing this. 

The takedown function has indeed been pinned.

Well I won the Remington M17! Was a bit expensive but bought at the low end of guide price thankfully! Best news is my daughter has said she will pay for it for my birthday pressie as she has no idea what to get me! I love my kids! I'll post again when I pick it up and have had a chance to go over it, nevertheless, one ticked off the list!

12 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Well I won the Remington M17! Was a bit expensive but bought at the low end of guide price thankfully! Best news is my daughter has said she will pay for it for my birthday pressie as she has no idea what to get me! I love my kids! I'll post again when I pick it up and have had a chance to go over it, nevertheless, one ticked off the list!

Well done that man and VERY well done that Lady.   :good:

On 08/03/2024 at 09:08, impala59 said:

That's great news! We should meet up and give it a run! 

On 08/03/2024 at 12:29, Scrumbag said:

Happy Shooting with that 17! Anyone fancy another pump club clay shoot?

100% 

• 2 weeks later...

The Remington M17

a couple of pictures to get started. The parentage to the Ithaca 37 is very obvious, removing the barrel is identical with the early 37’s with the sliding pin to assist rotation. As all who know the venerable 37, the next thing is to remove the stock, so as to release the sideways tension on the trigger plate screw. Problem #1 it would appear that some time in the last 105 years or so someone decided that the butt plate screws were insufficient and glued the butt plate on! 
So, cautiously working a scalpel around, it’s going to take some time as I don’t want to cause any marks or damage, watch this space!A6DA02BF-AE29-4A6E-9A92-C36DD11E3144.jpeg.76e676aedb8c2874ff32a3f2072d28b7.jpeg57D39BF7-482F-4138-B635-4CDE2ACCD8D1.jpeg.e6a570f36fb2890cb420572fec7021fb.jpeg312D9513-3033-4BE6-8490-4FE877DE89D8.jpeg.1d8f14be19a9ee9e05f51c44b7a04e46.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the M17 some good and some not so good.

The take down is the same as the M37, always remove the stock first to relieve the back pull on the trigger plate screw, all the internals are removed through the rear of the receiver with very little effort due to the combined design genius of John Moses Browning and John Pederson.

JMB actually stated that JP was the best gunsmith of the age! That is some praise! The M17 was apparently the very last firearm that JMB had a hand in designing 

Aficionados of the Ithaca 37 will recognise much of the innards of the 17 though there are some notable exceptions. Firstly it only has a bottom extractor in common with the earliest 37’s. These early 37’s were later retrofitted with a top extractor to improve extraction with the more powerful 12g cartridges. The 17 being only available in 20g did not seem to suffer in this area. A surprise for me was within the trigger mechanism, the birds head shaped part is a disconnector, not available to Ithaca owners until the late 70’s and then mainly for law enforcement users. It would seem that Ithaca simply left it out and inadvertently created the “slam fire” reputation of the 37! The machine work in the receiver is superb, sharp perfectly square channels as good today as they were over a hundred years ago. Now I have decarbonised and lightly lubricated internally, the gun is a slick piece of machinery.

The bad news. On this gun the yoke is fixed to the magazine tube. In rating this as S2, the mag tube has been permanently fixed to the receiver. What this means is that the forend cannot be removed for cleaning or refurbishment. It’s a real pain and in my opinion ruins what is otherwise a wonderful little gun. Not sure where I will go next with that, but thankfully there are no faults in that area. Just frustrating really.

the internals, familiar to 37 owners I am sure!

EF3C30A6-0B8C-4829-ABEA-0171D1AD54E8.jpeg.8d463b74380ff535c8ec0ee281261bcf.jpeg

The superbly machined receiver, one block of steel that everything fits inside perfectly!

A235161F-9D44-47D1-9A9B-187AC63276E5.jpeg.22391eb4cb4f6ced1f6b97756a344d8c.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I took the M17 clay shooting today with one of its grandchildren, a 1947 Ithaca 16g M37. The M17 shoots like a dream, smooth action and totally reliable, not bad for 104 years old! I was also somewhat (pleasantly) surprised at the range the 20g was taking some clays at.

Unfortunately, the 37 broke its slide stop retractor spring during the day, it was a mere 77 years old, so probably a little out of warranty! Nonetheless an enjoyable morning at Hawley shooting ground in Kent.

The 37 was treated to a new spring set on my return home (my metric upgrade) although upon inspection, only the straight wire spring that failed seemed to have any weakness and was possibly a sub-standard replacement at some time during its history. All the other (coil springs) have been saved as reference templates. I have yet to check whether the 16g has different tension values to the 12g. I think not as all my metrics fitted and function perfectly.

Back to the M17, this is a definite keeper, accurate, very point-able, great for clays, light recoil so my daughters can enjoy their occasional shoots more and a wonderfully light carry for my occasional pigeon shoots. They certainly knew how to build guns at the turn of the last century, Remington, JMB and JP, Thank you!