Pump Club

thepasty

I've put about 40 cartridges through my hatsan pump in quick succession (4 minutes ish). The barrel does get nicely warm. If you are doing a lot of target practice then it might be beneficial. It looks better with it on imo, so keep it. If I was to get another pump it would be either the Mossberg 590 or the Winchester SXP.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've put about 40 cartridges through my hatsan pump in quick succession (4 minutes ish). The barrel does get nicely warm. If you are doing a lot of target practice then it might be beneficial. It looks better with it on imo, so keep it. If I was to get another pump it would be either the Mossberg 590 or the Winchester SXP.

If it serves a purpose then that's great. Consensus seems to be to keep it anyway!

I looked at the SXP too but was put off by the slam fire recall and some failures to fix them even after being recalled.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/350188-winchester-sxp-slam-fire-recall/?hl=%2Bslam+%2Bfire

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/310534-faulty-winchester-sxp/?hl=%2Bslam+%2Bfire&do=findComment&comment=2805849

Oh Joy! picked up another Model 37 today and its a '59!

It is a 28" full choke, slam fire as standard model, fitted with genuine Ithaca synthetic furniture and has just about 99% of its finish, its a beauty! I shall probably fit the quality wood furniture to this one and the synthetics to my '65 which has become my pigeon gun. ( One of the benefits of an 80 year production run is the interchangeability of most parts)

A happy bunny I am!

post-75958-0-74913200-1485354000_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-57856800-1485354002_thumb.jpg

Edited by impala59

She asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I was totally truthful, I needed another 37! so a bid was made and won, I'm happy, she's happy that she got me something i really wanted, all winners here!!

To update, after a (now traditional for me) component level strip down this 37 is really a nice one, little evidence of use, wear or neglect, no chewed screw heads and its got (correct for year) a serial number matched and hand fitted and finished barrel. The barrel fit is so slick compared to my other 37's

Now on to other things...............

Version 4 of the Valtro PM5 mods

I have finally got it working right and just need now a little cosmetic finishing and paint.

This version dispenses with the rear AK type mag catch, I have used the original mag catch housing and drift pin to mount the rear wall of the magwell. The front wall is carved from a 1" aluminium billet and makes the front of the magwell one single strong piece comprising the magazine stop, feed ramp, locating lug and front support . The right hand side is 5mm aluminium plate for rigidity, the left hand side is laminated 3mm and 2mm sheet which allows the magazine locking block to enter freely. The locking block is a 25x10x3mm piece of brass fixed in place on the magazine through one of the original view holes. ( I have still maintained my rule of not cutting, filing or drilling the original firearm or magazines) The new magazine catch on the left hand side is oversized (for use with gloves) and comprises a 25mm block on a spring loaded hinge which protrudes 3mm into the well, matching the position of the block on the magazine. It is simple and as I said earlier it works. I may investigate going ambidextrous with the catch but for now I am happy with the fact that reloads are straight in and drop straight out rather than the cumbersome original rock and lock which also caused a few mis-feeds and other problems. The magazine is now held firmly in place for consistent positioning relative to the feed ramp and chamber. Other mods include a minor ramp on top of the mag follower which improves the angle of approach, and I have successfully modified a Cactus Arms magazine extension to improve capacity. Its still not a pretty gun by any means, but it now can hopefully fulfil its purpose in PSG, whatever, I will enjoy myself!

post-75958-0-15337800-1485486034_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-35664400-1485486070_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-64745300-1485486031_thumb.jpg

Morning Impala,

Jolly well done with the M37 it looks in pristine condition, my guess is a Yank serviceman brought it over with him, Ill have a shuftie in my copy of Mr Snyders book' Ithaca Featherlight Repeaters' as I don't recall synthetic stocks that early. Double lucky that have such a supportive good lady............. has she an unmarried sister by any chance who likes Cornwall???

Note the comments on Holts, I've sold and ABAS air pistol which fetched stratospheric money, and a 1910yr Winchester 1897 Black Diamond,which did the same, but simply wished I hadn't, but found them to be helpful, knowledgeable, professional and polite,

I was an unsuccessful telephone bidder on a Sec 2 1897, which rocketed past my budget, but they were extremely helpful again, if you've got quality items to sell perfect, to you want to buy quality like Impalas '37, ideal, but cheap they 'ain't!

Still raining here, off to help this chap who's built a big boat load all this strange livestock.............

Regards to all

Steve

I too have an Ithaca 37, 1982 model. I had to retire it as the safety never seemed designed to "click" (No cutouts in the switch for the detent to use - I've seen other safeties with cutouts that will "click"), and a pin was missing from the rib so it moves forwards by a few mm every 100 shots or so! Still the best £150 I spent though :D

I bought an 870 Wingmaster to use instead and although way more clunky I shoot it much better. It's a shame as the 37 is otherwise a masterpiece.

Regarding heat shields, my brother and I put 100 rounds between us through a Franchi PA8 (Pump only SPAS-12) and the barrel was stupid hot afterwards!

I think I qualify for the pump club :D I seem to get drawn to them and have had a few pass through my hands:

Mossberg 500

Mossberg 535

Franchi PA8

Franchi SPAS-12

Ithaca 37

Benelli SuperNova

Winchester 1897

Remington 870 Wingmaster

Pumps.png

(Ignore the Auto 5 in the middle)

Edited by Opossum

Nice auto 5! I need one of those in my life at some point.

I've never shot an 870. Are they steel receivers?

Yes, they have a steel receiver with aluminium trigger assembly.

I wasn't too excited about taking up clay shooting in the beginning, but I saw this gun in the store and realised "Hey, I could be clay shooting with an Auto 5!". I was hooked from then on :D

I too have an Ithaca 37, 1982 model. I had to retire it as the safety never seemed designed to "click" (No cutouts in the switch for the detent to use - I've seen other safeties with cutouts that will "click"), and a pin was missing from the rib so it moves forwards by a few mm every 100 shots or so! Still the best £150 I spent though :D

I bought an 870 Wingmaster to use instead and although way more clunky I shoot it much better. It's a shame as the 37 is otherwise a masterpiece.

Regarding heat shields, my brother and I put 100 rounds between us through a Franchi PA8 (Pump only SPAS-12) and the barrel was stupid hot afterwards!

I think I qualify for the pump club :D I seem to get drawn to them and have had a few pass through my hands:

Mossberg 500

Mossberg 535

Franchi PA8

Franchi SPAS-12

Ithaca 37

Benelli SuperNova

Winchester 1897

Remington 870 Wingmaster

Pumps.png

(Ignore the Auto 5 in the middle)

Nice collection, the SPAS is an appreciating asset now, I know when I sold mine they were so out of favour that I lost a pot on it ( due to the firing when taking off safe problems) I wish I'd kept it for posterity now! I am sure your '37 could be sorted, I'd buy it!, just need to be patient sourcing parts. I pick them up where and when I can. Just got to love them!

Nice collection, the SPAS is an appreciating asset now, I know when I sold mine they were so out of favour that I lost a pot on it ( due to the firing when taking off safe problems) I wish I'd kept it for posterity now! I am sure your '37 could be sorted, I'd buy it!, just need to be patient sourcing parts. I pick them up where and when I can. Just got to love them!

I just need a corncob forend for the Ithaca and I'd be happy :D