thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to all these pics!

There are some great old pumps out there, I'm happy to be part of a group of people who are restoring, preserving and using them

Will drag out the 1897 as well then. (1898 vintage 'C' series, 30" full choke, takedown, Section 1 - with modified follower/spring to make the original tube +1)

Yes I get that but what I do not understand is why do not Browning and Ithaca sell them in the uk You can buy a Browning uo or auto with no problem so why no pumps.

Davey and sons try and import some every year. Apparently because the sales of pump actions in the UK are **** we get anything left over from the american market which more often than not is nothing.

Consider the complete absence of BPSs from the UK market until July last year (I was after one either new or used), then a small number were imported many of which are still available. They just don't shift in meaningful numbers.

I had to resort to placing a wanted ad for mine (bought before that batch landed), a lengthy interview later to ensure I was a suitable new home for it the previous owner agreed to sell me one.

I suspect because they are so nice to use and hard to replace people don't tend to part with them in the way they might with yet another semi or over under. When back on the mainland I hope to pick up a ten bore if there are any around then.

Edited by Wb123

I have often thought if you new someone in the US army/airforce could they bring one in to the country and sell it to a friend in this country it would need to be done properly paying customs etc.

...and proofed too, etc.

Have heard of it happening, but only a few times in isolation (over several DECADES)

Used to be a semi known thing when more US Military bases were a feature around the UK, with each having its own "Rod & Gun Club"

I have often thought if you new someone in the US army/airforce could they bring one in to the country and sell it to a friend in this country it would need to be done properly paying customs etc.

If doing all that why not import it yourself? (Make sure you are sitting down when you do the sums).

I looked long and hard at importing a bps but the fees at the us end take what is already a expensive pump gun into territory where i would be buying something else.

Id rather like another barrel to avoid having my choke opened up but i fear i wont find one.

Edited by Wb123

If doing all that why not import it yourself? (Make sure you are sitting down when you do the sums).

I looked long and hard at importing a bps but the fees at the us end take what is already a expensive pump gun into territory where i would be buying something else.

Id rather like another barrel to avoid having my choke opened up but i fear i wont find one.

The point is in the US they can buy new Ithaca or BPS for under £500 so if it was then brought over for them to shoot some clays and then after a bit they decide to sell it on to an English friend would that save all of the doing it the official way just a thought.

I just had a look at there site with the pound going down in value so much it would seem that in the US the price of a new one is around £700 not the £500 that it used to be but still worth every penny.

http://ithacagun.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=18

Edited by four-wheel-drive

The point is in the US they can buy new Ithaca or BPS for under £500 so if it was then brought over for them to shoot some clays and then after a bit they decide to sell it on to an English friend would that save all of the doing it the official way just a thought.

I just had a look at there site with the pound going down in value so much it would seem that in the US the price of a new one is around £700 not the £500 that it used to be but still worth every penny.

http://ithacagun.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=18

Unfortunately, Ithaca of Sandusky Ohio, the current manufacturer are having trouble meeting the demands of their US customers and there is a backlog of orders. Hopefully, as production steps up there may be a small surplus that they would consider sending over here. By all accounts the current batch are the best ever with great tolerances and fit. Expensive but well worth it! We that want them should keep on pestering them to prove demand is here for their products

All, anyone know of a Canadian retailer who would post to the UK?

KR,

Scrummy

OK

I sort of see the reasoning (& NOT having a personal dig here) but EHY the UK obsession with thinking that America (or the adjacent territory) is THE place to try to buy less common guns from?

I see a LOT of the same "rare" US made guns & accessories in EU countries - for which you would be carrying out a transfer NOT an import = less paperwork, no import duty, no tax, etc.

A UK sgc/fac stands as an import permit (read the front), so until Brexit happens, don't dismiss EU sources (Germany is s good place to look)

Last time I looked new Ithacas were $1000.

The BPS's I saw for sale over here new we're all around £650.

Couple of 410 ones were advertised around 450.

Think sportsman gun centre had some.

Still a 10 bore advertised on guntrader.

I think Davey and Sons do a once yearly order for similar money. Usually 12s and 3" chamber