Pump Club

thepasty

A UK sgc/fac stands as an import permit (read the front), so until Brexit happens, don't dismiss EU sources (Germany is s good place to look)

Never knew that. I am off to Africa in weeks and taking a rifle. The organisers have completed a temp export form for Border control. The letter I have had back seems to say I have a licence but dont need one.? This now makes sense with the ticket :good:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not really as my left eye is so dominant that I get a good sight picture when in the left shoulder. (I have started shootings clays from my left shoulder) Anyway a third sight would be silly ! Wouldn't it? Maybe the whole idea is a bit off the wall, unfortunately work is preventing me from live testing at the moment. I will report any success ( or failure) in due course

Well to update on the 'binocular sight' experiment,(tri-nocular? when using the laser) surprisingly perhaps, it works! Well up until the small bore-line sight suffered recoil induced fatigue! The off-set sight stayed spot on and I achieved some of my better times (PSG) I have now swapped the small sight with a pal who had the twin of my off-set one and with a minor change to the sight picture all is well. The down-side? From a practical point of view, in left shoulder barricade situations the off-set sight could get knocked if I'm not careful, but that's about it. From an aesthetic point of view, much barracking and humour from my peers for the Frankenstein gun, particularly as I added magpul type flip-up iron sights as a final tech failure back up :lol::no::rolleyes:

Tandem dot sights, bore-line and off-set left, flip up sight behind

post-75958-0-82944000-1491301854_thumb.jpg

now I wonder where that idea came from..................................

post-75958-0-51114800-1491308735_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd put that in before any of you lot did!!!!! :)

Edited by impala59

Davey and sons try and import some every year. Apparently because the sales of pump actions in the UK are **** we get anything left over from the american market which more often than not is nothing.

Consider the complete absence of BPSs from the UK market until July last year (I was after one either new or used), then a small number were imported many of which are still available. They just don't shift in meaningful numbers.

I had to resort to placing a wanted ad for mine (bought before that batch landed), a lengthy interview later to ensure I was a suitable new home for it the previous owner agreed to sell me one.

I suspect because they are so nice to use and hard to replace people don't tend to part with them in the way they might with yet another semi or over under. When back on the mainland I hope to pick up a ten bore if there are any around then.

Afternoon Gents,

I'm a bit late in this reply as been celebrating another birthday, but wanted to relate my experiences prior to buying my Ithaca M37 in Dorset.

After six months trying to find one in the UK I wrote to Ithaca stateside, having heard nothing for 6 weeks I telephoned them and asked if they'd ship pre-paid guns to the UK. The answers was an emphatic 'no'....... they'd never supplied Europe or the UK, but to try a FFL dealer.

As I guess those I asked could sell all they could get locally, they couldn't be bothered. Undeterred I thought I'd get one off an auction site so I'd contact Revenue and Customs (or whatever they're called today) but as I couldn't find on line a category relating to importing firearm(s) on their on line site I'd call them.

After hanging onto the recorded messages for in excess of 60mins at my expense, a humanoid eventually answered, and replied to my request for information by giving me another phone number ! Swigging a jug of 'be nice juice' and then having listened the the same automated messages as earlier without a humanoid for a mere 75 minutes this time I simply gave up and sort solace in alcohol. God bless the Revenue & Customs!

All this and I'd been unable to ascertain authoritatively the cost of duties and charges of importing one. I was 'beaten' before I'd started.

Phoning Browning in the UK regarding a BPS, fruitlessly enriched BT further as enquiring about pre-paying for a BPS to be imported, was akin to asking them for a food blender or Japanese translation. The most customer unfriendly organisation since British Rail?

Fortunately one appeared on PW in Dorset the rest is history, resting in my cabinet the last 18months.

To anyone trying to import one from the States/Canada I can only say a heartfelt 'GOOD LUCK ! Photos of my latest Winchester 1897 Black Diamond to follow soon/eventually!

Regards

Steve

Afternoon Gents,

I'm a bit late in this reply as been celebrating another birthday, but wanted to relate my experiences prior to buying my Ithaca M37 in Dorset.

After six months trying to find one in the UK I wrote to Ithaca stateside, having heard nothing for 6 weeks I telephoned them and asked if they'd ship pre-paid guns to the UK. The answers was an emphatic 'no'....... they'd never supplied Europe or the UK, but to try a FFL dealer.

As I guess those I asked could sell all they could get locally, they couldn't be bothered. Undeterred I thought I'd get one off an auction site so I'd contact Revenue and Customs (or whatever they're called today) but as I couldn't find on line a category relating to importing firearm(s) on their on line site I'd call them.

After hanging onto the recorded messages for in excess of 60mins at my expense, a humanoid eventually answered, and replied to my request for information by giving me another phone number ! Swigging a jug of 'be nice juice' and then having listened the the same automated messages as earlier without a humanoid for a mere 75 minutes this time I simply gave up and sort solace in alcohol. God bless the Revenue & Customs!

All this and I'd been unable to ascertain authoritatively the cost of duties and charges of importing one. I was 'beaten' before I'd started.

Phoning Browning in the UK regarding a BPS, fruitlessly enriched BT further as enquiring about pre-paying for a BPS to be imported, was akin to asking them for a food blender or Japanese translation. The most customer unfriendly organisation since British Rail?

Fortunately one appeared on PW in Dorset the rest is history, resting in my cabinet the last 18months.

To anyone trying to import one from the States/Canada I can only say a heartfelt 'GOOD LUCK ! Photos of my latest Winchester 1897 Black Diamond to follow soon/eventually!

Regards

Steve

A quick Google search could have saved the majority of the above phone charges and associated "difficulties"

Next to impossible to export from the USA....IF you can find an FFL that is happy to process the ITAR paperwork/permits.

THEN the ITAR fees themselves, shipping costs; with import VAT & duty to add onto the total...the USA side anyway.

UK RFD fees & a trip to the Proof House complete the bill.

Auction sites IN the USA would result in the same issues...

Canada = not the USA. Different country = differeng rules apply.

Not THAT difficult, but still hoops to jump through for shipping/VAT & duty, etc. Still a big added expense on top of the gun purchase cost.

EU gun purchases = way easier/cheaper & next to no restrictions & very little paperwork. (By comparison with the USA or Canada)

No import VAT or duty = it's NOT an import, it's a TRANSFER.

BPS?

Several factory new models of different calibers presently online with UK dealers. Most around the £500 mark, or under.

Keeping a look out for a 10-bore model.

Most UK importers aren't interested in anyone but RFD customers....the end user is viewed as an inconvenience.

Hello Pump Owners!

Bought a Mossberg 600AT today and despite not being 100% sure how to work it I am well chuffed!

Think it may get a synthetic stock at some point and get used as a pigeon/rough gun and the odd round of clays!

attachicon.gif20170404_170727-3984x2241.jpg

attachicon.gif20170404_170731-3984x2241.jpg

Welcome on board sir!

Welcome on board sir!

Why thank you!

Loving the Mossberg I have to say, its had a full strip and clean and thanks to a local gunsmith had a faulty trigger unit repaired. I am torn between swapping the current woodwork for a synthetic set, but will probably get one in case I fancy a slightly more "tactical" look!

And also its hard to avoid saying "YeeHarr!!" every time I rack the action....

LOL...

So what do y'all think of synthetic Vs wood furniture on a good 'ol pump gun?

I am still not sure, the wood on my Mossberg is in good nick but i think i like the black synthetic look.. but not full on terminator tactical...

Edited by Wingman

LOL...

I am still not sure, the wood on my Mossberg is in good nick but i think i like the black synthetic look.. but not full on terminator tactical...

Mine is an aftermarket synthetic kit ( on when I bought it) and you can view it if you trawl back through this thread as there are pics of it.

LOL...

Wood.

I know all the rational arguments favour that plastic **** but it just seems wrong!

Well i made the mistake of walking into a gun shop to kill an hour or so whilst my car brakes were done and asked if they had any second hand semi autos or pumps. I ended up going back a day or so later and picking up this mossberg 600at. Just given it a clean and got the bits of plant/seed out of the trigger assembly....

post-5289-0-67041100-1492101715_thumb.jpg

...Just given it a clean and got the bits of plant/seed out of the trigger assembly....

See, Mossbergs don't have the same attraction.

Pulled a very large dead bumble bee out of my Remington 870 Express trigger guard the first time I cleaned it.

It WAS a sweet pump action that one.

Just added another Wingmaster to the "manually operated" stable. Nice early 12-ga pre flexitab.

Got THE barrel for it sitting ready & waiting; a blued 20" Police rifle sighted type (extended to comply with UK 24" min. oal rules)

It'll be reet Gucci for slug shooting practice.

Edited by saddler

I ended up going back a day or so later and picking up this mossberg 600at....

Nice one mate exactly the same happened to me in my lunch hour last week. Came home with a very clean 600AT for less than a hundred quid.. had a small issue with the trigger but my gunsmith fixed it free of charge was just a worn spring which he had a spare for..

Thinking about taking it out tomorrow for a round of clays!

Keep us posted how you get on with it!

Edited by Wingman

Nice one mate exactly the same happened to me in my lunch hour last week. Came home with a very clean 600AT for less than a hundred quid.. had a small issue with the trigger but my gunsmith fixed it free of charge was just a worn spring which he had a spare for..

Thinking about taking it out tomorrow for a round of clays!

Keep us posted how you get on with it!

Will do, i will take it to my next clay session. One question though is do you have to undo the forend nut to slide the forend off or am i missing something?

I have had to add a 1inch recoil pad to increase the length, i now just have to sand it down

Edited by Northerner

Will do, i will take it to my next clay session. One question though is do you have to undo the forend nut to slide the forend off or am i missing something?

I have had to add a 1inch recoil pad to increase the length, i now just have to sand it down

Yep unscrew the forend nut and it slides off..