Pump Club

thepasty

See, Mossbergs don't have the same attraction.

Pulled a very large dead bumble bee out of my Remington 870 Express trigger guard the first time I cleaned it.

It WAS a sweet pump action that one.

Just added another Wingmaster to the "manually operated" stable. Nice early 12-ga pre flexitab.

Got THE barrel for it sitting ready & waiting; a blued 20" Police rifle sighted type (extended to comply with UK 24" min. oal rules)

It'll be reet Gucci for slug shooting practice.

I'd like to see a pic of the barrel extension, did you use plain tube or something grander? Sill promising myself a remmie pump after a not so kind relative sold my mint model 31 which he had 'borrowed' long term. Doubt I'll get another 31 but Wingmaster would fit the bill

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to see a pic of the barrel extension, did you use plain tube or something grander? Sill promising myself a remmie pump after a not so kind relative sold my mint model 31 which he had 'borrowed' long term. Doubt I'll get another 31 but Wingmaster would fit the bill

I didn't carry out the work. It'd been done long before the barrel came to me.

Not especially pretty.

Looking into getting a local RFD to modify the scaffolding pipe add on, instead putting a muzzle brake or adjustable choke extension on in its place.

Pity your Model 31 was stolen.

Nice guns.

Hope you pressed charges! (If not, at LEAST someone owes you the price of a replacement gun)

Edited by saddler

I've always thought that the Cutts compensator/choke looks best on an American gun, hope you find something suitable

My uncle did promise to replace the 31 but I hold out little hope from that side of my family!

Not a Cutts.

It's a dial adjustable Savage type thing. Need to get a new bead for it.

Got it free from a shooter that was chopping his Savage 720 (Browning Auto 5 copy) down from 30" or so, to about 18".

Cute riot gun spec...very Bonnie & Clyde!

Are pump actions definitely only for working duty? Was toying with the idea of getting something just for fun. It'd only get used at the clay grounded. Is this an awful idea?

Working?

Nope....anything you want to use them for.

The fact they've been around for 120 years or so, but are not that accepted in some circles is down to snobbery not perceived practicality of the design.

A few types such as Savage can be picked up at around £100 for a very tidy example.

ETA

For extra fun, consider target shotgun shooting with slug, buckshot, etc. (You'll need S1 permission for solid slug...but worth the effort.

Good excuse too to start reloading)

Edited by saddler

Are pump actions definitely only for working duty? Was toying with the idea of getting something just for fun. It'd only get used at the clay ground. Is this an awful idea?

Not at all. I have a pump I use for clays and little else. If you enjoy using it, do it!

Part of the enjoyment of pumps, for me anyway, is to get them slick and not hard work. They are fascinating mechanical devices and repay a little work and maintenance. Managed to break my '59 model 37 today, the spot welds on the forend tube gave out after 58 years service! funnily my '65 did exactly the same last year. Simple repair with high tensile M5 screws and Araldite steel in place of welds, done this evening during post shoot cleaning. The Honourable Captain Beaky managed to break his Higgins too in the same area but a bit more complicated repair, fortunately he is adept at welding etc. Good luck Sir!

If you look back at the guns for sale I have a few Savage / Stevens for sale if you're interested

Would pick up a pump just for a laugh on the clays but don't know enough to bid

Just go to a gun shop and have a look. Take a few of the a-zoom or dummy cartridges to see if they cycle. Pumps are fairly simple beasts. If seems to work ok and fiesbt look neat up, probably fine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought some bits for my Mossberg while I was in the USA last week. Managed to find remanufactured versions of the original corncob type forends (laminated) also got a side saddle. Fitted the heat shield but really not sure I like the heat shield and it serves no purpose so will probably remove it, rest of it is coming along nicely though!

post-76330-0-73363500-1495294945_thumb.jpg

post-76330-0-23683200-1495294966_thumb.jpg