Pump Club

thepasty

12 hours ago, Lord v said:

See I have womens hands.

Image result for blackadder woman's hands

I would be fine. lol.

12 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

Looking good Benkent!

Cheers mate such a fun gun for not a lot of money. Always gets taken when I go shooting with the boys and it's there for everyone to have a blast when they want a bit of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2018 at 13:23, Sco77w said:

I feel like I need to grow my pump family, anyone selling anything interesting? 

I have a slot for a S1 that I'd like to keep for a Spas, or an 1897 but may use it for something quirky. 

What you selling?

There has been a very nice looking S1 Model 12 duck gun on Guntrader that may suit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I've joined as I went through the first 30 pages slobbing like a kid in a sweet shop. Here's my beaten up, rough as a horses *** savage stevens mod 79. 

My go to gun. Can't beat racking a beaten up pump. Can anybody on here give me any advice on cleaning/stripping it as all I've ever done in the last 10 years is spray it with wd40 and she's jamming a bit now. Used to be faultless but she really needs a clean internally ?

20180725_215528.jpg

20180725_215501.jpg

10 hours ago, stevethejeep said:

Hi,

Theres several videos on U Tube that show you how to strip/clean and reassemble your gun, hope this is usefull. Good luck 

+1 But simply and without good ole boy humour ?

1 Check unloaded, cycle and leave action open, apply safety catch 

2 Remove stock

3 Undo take down knob at end of magazine 

4 Rotate barrel clockwise and remove

5 Undo screw at end of mag tube to release mag spring ( caution under tension) follower will be captive if section 2 gun

6 Drift out pin above front of trigger guard from right side(ejection port side) towards left

7 Undo screw above rear of trigger guard and remove trigger group to rear and down ( hold action release as it will want to fall off)

8 Move bolt to rear and lever the action bar out of engagement with the bolt plate (with a small screwdriver, gently lever towards centre of receiver) bolt and plate will then exit the rear of receiver together 

9 Fore end moves forward 

Clean parts with solvent and lightly oil contact areas (evident by metal to metal polishing)

Re-assembly is reverse. Very important!!! when re-assembling do not tighten the rear trigger group screw too much, this will partially crush the receiver a thou or two and cause horrible sticking at back of cycle. The screw will be tightened in place by the rearward pull of the stock bolt (This applies equally to our beloved Ithaca 37's)

pm me if you get stuck

Edit.......this applies to most Savage/Stevens pump guns, differences are safety positions, magazine tube locating system and action release button position. I would not advise taking the trigger group down, an air line will clean out the crud. I would advise photographing your progress to aid re-assembly 

Download a schematic from Numrich.com so as to identity, familiarise with and locate parts

Edited by impala59

7 hours ago, impala59 said:

+1 But simply and without good ole boy humour ?

1 Check unloaded, cycle and leave action open, apply safety catch 

2 Remove stock

3 Undo take down knob at end of magazine 

4 Rotate barrel clockwise and remove

5 Undo screw at end of mag tube to release mag spring ( caution under tension) follower will be captive if section 2 gun

6 Drift out pin above front of trigger guard from right side(ejection port side) towards left

7 Undo screw above rear of trigger guard and remove trigger group to rear and down ( hold action release as it will want to fall off)

8 Move bolt to rear and lever the action bar out of engagement with the bolt plate (with a small screwdriver, gently lever towards centre of receiver) bolt and plate will then exit the rear of receiver together 

9 Fore end moves forward 

Clean parts with solvent and lightly oil contact areas (evident by metal to metal polishing)

Re-assembly is reverse. Very important!!! when re-assembling do not tighten the rear trigger group screw too much, this will partially crush the receiver a thou or two and cause horrible sticking at back of cycle. The screw will be tightened in place by the rearward pull of the stock bolt (This applies equally to our beloved Ithaca 37's)

pm me if you get stuck

Edit.......this applies to most Savage/Stevens pump guns, differences are safety positions, magazine tube locating system and action release button position. I would not advise taking the trigger group down, an air line will clean out the crud. I would advise photographing your progress to aid re-assembly 

Download a schematic from Numrich.com so as to identity, familiarise with and locate parts

Thanks for that I'll get on it on the weekend. Wanna get it on the clays again but after jamming and not ejecting I was maybe thinking of selling and getting something else (pump tho!)

On 13/07/2018 at 15:43, stevethejeep said:

Afternoon, I've got an Ithaca M37 Sec1 you could prize off me iff your interested?  Send me you e mail & will send photos.

Regards

Steve

I have an M37 DSPS already. My favourite pump gun. I'm looking for something else interesting. 

New addition to my collection is the Winchester Ranger Model 120, pictured here above my Model 1200. Oddly, the only difference I can see other than the woodwork (and vent rib on the 120), is the spring at the rear of the ejector on the 120 which is not there on the 1200 (nor is the hole that the spring fits in) Still, nice slick shotguns, just need a model 12 for a full house!

712108373_winpair(2).JPG.45027678c8a0395a54a989ba739e5231.JPG

16 hours ago, impala59 said:

New addition to my collection is the Winchester Ranger Model 120, pictured here above my Model 1200. Oddly, the only difference I can see other than the woodwork (and vent rib on the 120), is the spring at the rear of the ejector on the 120 which is not there on the 1200 (nor is the hole that the spring fits in) Still, nice slick shotguns, just need a model 12 for a full house!

712108373_winpair(2).JPG.45027678c8a0395a54a989ba739e5231.JPG

No 1300XTR? Cracking pumps. 

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

No 1300XTR? Cracking pumps. 

Never really been a Winchester man but I suppose I shall have to add the 1300xtr to the list as reading your posts over the years has me greatly respecting your opinions (oh no! Exclaims my better half, not another cabinet being bolted to the wall)

3 minutes ago, impala59 said:

Never really been a Winchester man but I suppose I shall have to add the 1300xtr to the list as reading your posts over the years has me greatly respecting your opinions (oh no! Exclaims my better half, not another cabinet being bolted to the wall)

They really are nice bits of kit, and no self respecting pump collection is complete without one. ? But wait for a good one as many were used and abused. 

A very handsone pair Impala, you must have a sizable collection of pumps by now.  I'm 50/50 with Browning & Winchester, many of the latter are JMB's designs anyway, pre WW2 rifles and shotguns just have that style, feel and smoothness seemingly often lost by 'progress' more recently.

I guess this is caused by the economy of manufacture and to some extent materials, many seem to possess acceptable mechanicals to be let down by woodwork thats only fit for firewood, resulting in a nasty cheap looking weapon. 

Reassuringly Grumpily

Steve

Have to agree with you Steve, I have sort of set a cut off date of 1989 for the pump collection, mostly US manufacture, predominantly Ithaca. Not so keen on the later stuff although there are some good ones around. My semi's are probably more modern and my doubles pre WW1! (with a couple of exceptions)

Other than Ithaca's (got my sights on a couple at this time) I am looking for Remington Models 31 and 10 and a Winchester models 12 and 97, unfortunately premium prices on these

Regards

Roland

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick pump family photo before I put up the Mossberg up for sale. It’s a section 2 but I’ve got a spare slot on my FAC which will be filled with a little something I’ve seen today so the Mossberg needs to go, I need the space. 

24EA9EE2-CEE8-4B7B-8566-4ADA6D5686CA.jpeg