thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, theshootist said:

It's still there but remember that the safety catch is missing. You may want to know you could get a replacement or make one before buying. 

hello, yes i just phoned Holts, no safety but looked pretty tidy by email photo, Alex in the gun room quoted about £275 posted to RFD,  is that the one to bottom eject?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes i just phoned Holts, no safety but looked pretty tidy by email photo, Alex in the gun room quoted about £275 posted to RFD,  is that the one to bottom eject?

Yes it will be bottom eject.

Get in touch with Impala59 he made safety catches for his, one of which came from me.

Good luck

Its a 1983, probably one of the last to be imported, unless it came over with a US serviceman. It looks a premium model with vent rib, gold trigger and the stock seems a decent piece of American walnut from what is visible. The checkering looks clean, probably pressed rather than cut and it has the slightly less desirable overlap squarish checkered forend. The 26" is a nice handling length and while it is a fixed 1/4 choke it will repay a visit to the pattern plate as all Ithaca's are tight bored. It will not have trigger over-ride aka slam fire as it is dated after the change over. It will have a system whereby if the trigger is held through the pump cycle the hammer will follow and ride the bolt forward and the gun will become inert with a live round in the chamber. The action will need to be recycled to eject the live round and load another. This is not a fault but a modification (which retains the simplicity of the mechanism)which I believe was probably put in place to prevent lawsuits in the US due to accidental/negligent discharges. It is unlikely that it will have a "disconnector" trigger unit as those were for law enforcement use only and this particular gun is not configured for LE. It is a theory of mine that some people remove the safety catch in the belief that they can get round the dead gun situation previously mentioned. It is priced OK and the prices are going up due to their comparative rarity.

A safety can be made or you could possibly get one from the US (seems more difficult now unless someone is going there) You will also need the safety detent plunger pin and associated spring. Safeties can be left or right handed. One word of warning, I have seen many of these guns that have been mistreated or damaged by not dis-assembling and re-assembling them correctly, initial indications being chewed screw heads  and chipped extractors.

Rule 1 take the stock off first, refit the stock last

Rule 2 when finalising the barrel location, constantly check that the extractor cut out lines up with the top groove in the receiver as you tighten the magazine cap

They are simple, brilliant pieces of engineering, with the fewest parts of any pump gun and reward careful maintenance with smooth reliability

On 29/01/2020 at 16:32, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just an update, i asked Alex by email what was the condition of the Ithica 37 eg in working order, but he never replied, !!!!!!

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just an update, i asked Alex by email what was the condition of the Ithica 37 eg in working order, but he never replied, !!!!!!

Unfortunately, that is always the risk that you take with auction houses. Having said that I have never had a complete duffer from Holts. Some have had issues yes, but all restored without major problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon Ladies and Gents,

Just bought another Sec1 M37, reputedly in unabused original condition (the way I like 'em) the third I've had so far plus two 1897's, .......... just can't leave them alone!

Collecting from local RFD Fri/Sat, lets hope it stops raining for 5 mins so I can step out and try it.  Photos to follow.

Regards

Steve  

3 hours ago, stevethejeep said:

Just bought another Sec1 M37,  the third I've had so far, .......... just can't leave them alone

Nice one Steve🙂 happy for you!

(its a sickness you know!!!)

Finally found Wingmaster at a decent price ... going to have a look tomorrow, an older 70/80’s one but it’s been shortened to 26” and the bloke says it shoots about 1/8 / skeet choke on pattern plate. 

Sound about right for a bit of walked up shooting and clays I think. 

Well just back from collecting the Wingmaster 😍 

As said an older model with 2 3/4 chamber - was cut down to 26” and has a cylinder choke (Or just no choke) but the Bloke was an engineer and patterned it and confirmed it shoots like a skeet choke. 

I got it for a good price - am considering if I will take it to be turned into a multi-choke, would be an option for me as the price was decent. 

Let’s see how she shoots first :) 

17 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Well just back from collecting the Wingmaster 😍 As said an older model with 2 3/4 chamber - was cut down to 26” and has a cylinder choke (Or just no choke) but the Bloke was an engineer and patterned it and confirmed it shoots like a skeet choke. 
I got it for a good price - am considering if I will take it to be turned into a multi-choke, would be an option for me as the price was decent. 
Let’s see how she shoots first  

Fancy that!:rolleyes:

The cost of having the barrel cut to accept multi-chokes would probably be higher than looking for a second-hand multi-choked barrel.

It should make for a cracking gun for pigeons over decoys though!:good:

Good luck Mate

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fancy that!:rolleyes:

The cost of having the barrel cut to accept multi-chokes would probably be higher than looking for a second-hand multi-choked barrel.

Good luck Mate

Do you think? I wouldn’t mind either option, I had a quick google if my 11-87 barrel would swap onto it but I don’t think so. 

As you say though, if it does shoot skeet I think it will be good for decoying, skeet, some sporting clays and I imagine it would also be good for some walked up shooting over the dog. 

Some of the hard flushes he gets are right off his nose so should be ideal :) 

20 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Fancy that!

Good luck Mate

This. Spare barrel much cheaper option. I considered having my Benelli chopped ( May still do ) but if you go down the Teague route they will insist on it being sent for reproof ( even though it’s not a legal requirement ) as well as the cost of doing the actual work. 
Frustrating really as I’ve found another Benelli spare barrel at 24” but it came off a Montefeltro; all email enquiries to the selling RFD enquiring if it will fit my mine have been ignored. 
Your skeet choking will be fine, just swap your cartridges around. 

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

This. Spare barrel much cheaper option. I considered having my Benelli chopped ( May still do ) but if you go down the Teague route they will insist on it being sent for reproof ( even though it’s not a legal requirement ) as well as the cost of doing the actual work. 
Frustrating really as I’ve found another Benelli spare barrel at 24” but it came off a Montefeltro; all email enquiries to the selling RFD enquiring if it will fit my mine have been ignored. 
Your skeet choking will be fine, just swap your cartridges around. 

£165 to have the barrel threaded for multi-choke. 

I only paid £250 for the gun 👍🏻 

What cartridges would you recommend? 
I reckon 28g of 7 1/2 (UK 7) will be nice over decoys. 

Also steel shoots tighter than lead so I have no doubt non HP steels should be handy through it :) 

I would wait out for a multi choke barrel, put a few wanted ads out there and check the auction sites. An investment of that nature would add to the value whereas a modification to your existing barrel would possibly not be recuperable. 

I think you will find 26” skeet a great all rounder, it’s one of my favourites for balance and usability. Your auto barrel will fit but the ring element is much deeper so not sure if you will get it all back together (it’s an interesting thought actually, I might try mine over the weekend) would be a great fix if it works!

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

£165 to have the barrel threaded for multi-choke. 
I only paid £250 for the gun 👍🏻 
What cartridges would you recommend? 
I reckon 28g of 7 1/2 (UK 7) will be nice over decoys. 
Also steel shoots tighter than lead so I have no doubt non HP steels should be handy through it :) 

They certainly will!:good: