Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gents, trying desperately to join the pump club.

I'm after a remi 870 or mossy 500 with a 24" ish barrel. what are the chances if i take £200 quid in cash to the shooting show of bringing one home??

I've yet to see any real bargains at the scooting show but you shouldn't have a problem getting something for that sort of money. My Mossberg 500 only cost me £110 (IIRC) but I didn't really like the rattly forend and moved it on. I have the 870 now that I am a lot happier with.

It's great finding a bargain, looks in better nick than mine!

Is the bottom one with the rib a trap model?

To be honest, I've no idea. They are both choked at half if that makes any difference.

Having put the grand sum of three, yes, three whole rounds through it last sunday I can report that it fires just fine. It extracted all the carts and all were short brass. My other M37 won't extract carts with short brass (under around 10mm).

When I picked it up the guy did say it had had problems with extraction but had been looked at by his gunsmith and all was fine now although he didn't know what had been done. I was expecting it to be the same as my other M37 but it would appear, from those three shots, that it isn't.

I'll have a full round bash with it next time out :-) but thus far, very happy.

Gents, trying desperately to join the pump club.

I'm after a remi 870 or mossy 500 with a 24" ish barrel. what are the chances if i take £200 quid in cash to the shooting show of bringing one home??

No idea if you would get one at the show, but I paid £200 for my 600 that has a 24" barrel c-lect adjustable choke and 7 + 1 capacity, I bought it privately, so just be patient the bargains are out there!

Joined this club recently! picked up an old Savage Arms/Stevens model 79 for a steal, had a great time round the wood with it last week, something to chuck about a bit and not worry if it gets wet, takes a knock is fantastic. Good times - just need to get familiar with it and ready to take it out on the marshes next year :)

• 2 weeks later...

Remington 887

I recently received my section 2 shotgun licence, and went off to my friendly gun shop to satisfy my dream of having a pump action shotgun, I had done my research and decided that I wanted a Remington 870 express, However this proved more difficult than expected, It is currently almost impossible to obtain a new 870 express in the UK, However I did manage to get a 887 Nitromag,

Looked at it, picked it up, thrilled at the iconic sound of the action and fell in love with it,

Paid the man and went off to try out my new toy,

The first 20 round, no problem and then the pump action started to get harder to work and eventually cartridges started getting jammed, went home a bit disappointed,

Not being someone who gives up easily, I Read up on the internet i.e. YouTube and shooting forums and found that this was not an uncommon problem?

So I, Disassembled the gun and immediately realised that although the design is simple, Remington’s method of mass production and quality control appears not to be very high,

So here’s what you need to do,

1. Disassemble the gun, making a note of how to reassemble.

2. Using medium grade wet n dry paper smooth down the two action bars, removing the paint until

Well-polished.

3. Do the same to the two action bar receiver slider mounts.

4. Give the action bars and sliders a good clean ensuring any dirt or grit is removed.

5. Carefully clean and lubricate the bolt assembly.

6. Lubricate well, all moving parts, using a good quality gun oil and reassemble the gun.

The action will be much easier to operate and no more jamming.

I have since tested the gun with many different cartridges i.e. size load weight and it has not missed a beat, but like any other mechanical mechanism it requires cleaning and lubrication.

For the money, this gun is a fantastic piece of kit, it shoots straight and looks the business,

would highly recommend.