thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New gun

Another Mossberg pump to go with my 835 :) this one is a 500 .410 hushpower in wood that I bought on a whim first new gun in near 3 years.

Been shooting targets like static clays must have put a couple of hundred through it so far a mix of 3 inch eley subsonic

and Lyalvale Express magnasonic, 3 inch magnum, 2 and a half inch and 2 inch no ear protection necessary :)

Edited by defender

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone.

I have a mossberg 835 pump.. and I'm having issues with it loading the last shell. any ideas..

It cycles the first 2 and when i pump for the last it just doesn't pick it up it just sits in the mag tube.

any help would be great.

Sounds like either a weak mag spring, or if its a sec.2 with a crimped mag tube, the coils are catching the crimp. Had this on an 870. Try andadd some tension to your spring.

Get 2 empty shells, and slide one into the other tightly. Remove your mag and cap and then the mag spring retainer. Do this carefully and protect your eyes, as they can shoot out wth some force. Clean and lightly oil the spring and internals of the tube. Feed the spring back in and feed your "joined empties" on top of the spring, and then re fit the spring retainer, so that it sits on top of the empty cases. This will add a bit more tension.

It worked perfectly with mine, no more issues and saved me buying a new spring. Best bit is, its easily reversible and costs nothing compared to a new spring if it doesn't solve your issue.

Have a go and let us know how you get on.

Sounds like either a weak mag spring, or if its a sec.2 with a crimped mag tube, the coils are catching the crimp. Had this on an 870. Try andadd some tension to your spring.

Get 2 empty shells, and slide one into the other tightly. Remove your mag and cap and then the mag spring retainer. Do this carefully and protect your eyes, as they can shoot out wth some force. Clean and lightly oil the spring and internals of the tube. Feed the spring back in and feed your "joined empties" on top of the spring, and then re fit the spring retainer, so that it sits on top of the empty cases. This will add a bit more tension.

It worked perfectly with mine, no more issues and saved me buying a new spring. Best bit is, its easily reversible and costs nothing compared to a new spring if it doesn't solve your issue.

Have a go and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the advice, i followed it today but sadly it hasn't worked.

although it has added the extra tension i needed. it still hasn't fixed my problem.

it now struggles on the second load (after the +1 in the chamber), if i slam the pump back really hard it will load the first round out of the tube but then will not load the second (last) one in the tube

note - i can manually eject them using the push button in the action.

it feels like the tube ejector is not getting depressed when the slide is pulled back and the shell tray is lowered - see photos -

pump nearly at the fully closed position to load shell

post-16971-0-75622200-1443289941_thumb.png

@30-06hunter..

It sounds like the shell latch is not being fully depressed by the carrier during reloading. Without seeing the gun I can only suggest you have your loacal gunsmith assess it. Some latches can be gently bent back to shape to offer the correct clearance, others need rebuilding and reshaping to attain the correct length of travel and clearance. You could search online for the required info denoting the required travel and clearance measurements, and check your guns measurements against the tech specs. It shouldn't be a major issue to get sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, new member just getting back into shooting after a fairly long break (new domestic goddess!) Pump club a great topic, I am sure it will be very entertaining. Used to have an Ithaca model 37 DSPS parkerised section 1. How I regret selling that one! In my opinion the best pump ever. I just missed one on this site but will keep looking. Have only renewed section 2 at moment and currently have a really slick Remington model 31( the 870 was a budget version of this superb gun) Does anyone south of London know a clays venue where pumps are not frowned upon? In other words where the shooters have respect for each other and the tools properly and safely used are not discriminated against.

PS to previous post, Section 2 Ithaca model 37 wanted! I confess to being a lover of all things Ithaca, as time and finance permit will hopefully get Mag 10, S/S model 100 and maybe model 300/900 semi, although this last is Japanese SKB badged as Ithaca they are very good guns.

I Doubt you'll get bored! They are usually keepers! The fact that it is the longest running manufactured firearm tells you something, I wonder how many other things in life that are of the same vintage, still perform the exact same job with the same level of success? Its in the same class as quality violins in my opinion. Still thanks for the offer, albeit tongue in cheek!!

what carts did you use ?

I used both eley magnum 3 inch 18g 7 of my own and some eley magnum subsonic 18g 6 that came with the gun, to be honest, there was not detectable noise difference between the two.

3 pigeons, 2 crows, 1 magpie and 2 jackdaws later, quite happy (though, thought 6's had quite an open pattern and not as clean killing as the 7's)