Pump Club

thepasty

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Um, generally speaking, one holds *on* to one's M37s. At least, *I* do. :)

By the way, I wouldn't mind acquiring a BPS. I've seen someone using one and read about 'em on the Yank forums but I think I'd like to get one just in order to "compare and contrast" it with the Ithaca.

Regards,

Mark.

Chaos, happy to let you shoot mine, drop me a PM if you'd like to,

Hawley are fairly relaxed about what you shoot, as long as you're safe. I've seen several people shooting pumps up there, plus the odd section 1 auto.

Peter, good call, went there this morning, nice bunch, good varied 70 birds practice, decent tea and bacon sarnie, no gun snobbery

Hi pumpers, Quick questions (ish),

I've got a Wingmaster Pump and I've just been given the all clear for a sect 1 slot for High capacity magazine shotgun. I asked FEO if I can get my Wingmaster's mag unrestricted. He said I can do that and just transfer it onto my Firearms cert.

Is it that simple? Has anyone here done that before? and is it true that I wouldn't be able to convert it back to a sect 2 (mag crimp) should I loose my permissions in the future (god forbid)?

Thanks for your help.

Hi pumpers, Quick questions (ish),

I've got a Wingmaster Pump and I've just been given the all clear for a sect 1 slot for High capacity magazine shotgun. I asked FEO if I can get my Wingmaster's mag unrestricted. He said I can do that and just transfer it onto my Firearms cert.

Is it that simple? Has anyone here done that before? and is it true that I wouldn't be able to convert it back to a sect 2 (mag crimp) should I loose my permissions in the future (god forbid)?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, it can be done backwards and forwards but it could work out expensive. Firstly, gunsmith charges to either de-crimp or replace your mag. Depending on how deep the crimp is would affect the integrity of the tube after the work, it could weaken it substantially and I doubt whether the metal would take a re-crimp in the same place. Also, fitting an extension to the de-crimped mag may have some effect on its rigidity. To replace the mag tube would involve sourcing one in the first place and then getting it fitted. I am not sure how the Wingy tube is fitted but you can be sure its going to be tight! Also the Wingy is a premium model so fit and tolerances would have to be maintained. If this were done you would have to on paper sell it to the gunsmith as a sect 2 and then buy back as a sect 1. Once the mag was sorted by the gunsmith he would send it away for proof all at your expense, including carriage both ways.

Another option would be to sell your sect 2 Wingy, they seem to go quickly and for decent money and buy a sect I which could always be crimped to sect 2

Or the best option, assuming you love your pump, get a quote for the work including everything and put that down on another Wingmaster :good: you know it makes sense!

Look back on this forum for Wingy owners and ask them the question directly, I believe you will find a wealth of knowledge and good advice

Good luck!

Ps on Guntrader a sect 2 is advertised for nearly double the price of a sect1 ! Go figure!!?

Edited by impala59

Hi, it can be done backwards and forwards but it could work out expensive. Firstly, gunsmith charges to either de-crimp or replace your mag. Depending on how deep the crimp is would affect the integrity of the tube after the work, it could weaken it substantially and I doubt whether the metal would take a re-crimp in the same place. Also, fitting an extension to the de-crimped mag may have some effect on its rigidity. To replace the mag tube would involve sourcing one in the first place and then getting it fitted. I am not sure how the Wingy tube is fitted but you can be sure its going to be tight! Also the Wingy is a premium model so fit and tolerances would have to be maintained. If this were done you would have to on paper sell it to the gunsmith as a sect 2 and then buy back as a sect 1. Once the mag was sorted by the gunsmith he would send it away for proof all at your expense, including carriage both ways.

Another option would be to sell your sect 2 Wingy, they seem to go quickly and for decent money and buy a sect I which could always be crimped to sect 2

Or the best option, assuming you love your pump, get a quote for the work including everything and put that down on another Wingmaster :good: you know it makes sense!

Look back on this forum for Wingy owners and ask them the question directly, I believe you will find a wealth of knowledge and good advice

Good luck!

Ps on Guntrader a sect 2 is advertised for nearly double the price of a sect1 ! Go figure!!?

As said it can be done but there isn't a need for reproofing going from S2 to S1, although there is going from S1 to S2. Also S1 shotguns are usually cheaper than their S2 counterparts as the market is smaller. I'd be shopping for another shotgun and keeping the one you have. As you may know your S1 shotgun can only be used by people who have that specific gun on their license so if you find yourself in a position where you take someone shooting with you, they wouldn't be able to shoot your S1 shotgun so that's another reason for keeping the wingmaster ;)

Now that's what you call a 'practical' shotgun! Fabulous bit of kit! :yes:

There is something very proportionate about a pump, whether it be like this shorty or a 30" wildfowler. I'm not sure precisely what the appeal is, but whatever brand we prefer, old or new, whatever sport we take part in, the pump is more personal than any other type of shotgun,( in my opinion.) When you can bust double clays, take that high, fast pigeon or drop steel plates at a blistering pace, the pump gives more satisfaction than anything else.

Has anyone else noticed that this thread is approaching 10,000 views, 2,000 replies and 100 pages? I think that says a lot and as in another thread I would suggest you google "Del goes shooting" cracks me up every time!

Good luck!

The Remmy magtube is not listed as a separate item, it is part of the receiver/action. Unlike the Mossy 500 that is simply a threaded tube, the 870's is fixed (I think soldered?) The crimp can be drifted and reamed out but metal is removed and the tube is, as you say, weakened.

If you look back, this has been covered before I think.

the pump is more personal than any other type of shotgun

Hmmm, well I reckon that *that* accolade goes to the lever-action shotgun although, of course, I *am* partial to pump-action shotguns. :)

I like to think of this thread as the "Pump *And*Lever* Club"...

Regards,

Mark.

Bottom eject safety flag

Had a bit of a drama at the weekend. As a firm advocate of safety flags in pumps and auto's I was using my trusty 'Autosafe' flag in the BPS, it will fit in the chamber but I do not push it all the way home as the 90 degree section is quite short. (see pic.) Anyway, a fellow shooter asked to look at the gun, and promptly picked it up by the fore-end which rammed the device into the chamber and jammed everything! After carefully field stripping and ascertaining that no damage had been done (he was very apologetic!) no harm done. I later looked around the net and couldn't find anything designed for bottom eject in the way of safety flags. Solution, make one! looking around the house I found a moulded plastic coat hanger (ikea I think) and saw that the proportions were about right and cut it as can be seen in pic.

1 It goes in deep enough.

2 It is narrow enough to fit between the fingers of the cartridge lifter

3 If the action is moved forward, it will stop 1/2 an inch before battery

4 It gives a clear indication of the gun's condition

5 It can't jam anything

6 It cost nothing!

post-75958-0-86173100-1448568060_thumb.jpg

post-75958-0-62050200-1448568061_thumb.jpg

You are right about the napier, I have one and I had not tried that until just now...... unfortunately you have to slightly move the action forward so as not to foul the lifter/ejector fingers....... and once the napier flag is engaged I cannot get my finger in to release the shell stop so as to remove the flag, I needed a pen to press the shell stop in.....also with the napier flag in situ the action will still close so the gun condition would be effectively unknown