Should settle the .177 v .22 debate

turbo33

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of knockers as usual .

What I see in the video is someone who has practiced lots (which he advises at the start) who knows the ability of both himself and his gun and the aim points on his scope .

I see someone very skilled not a idiot .

I watched a program on sky the other week which related to the worlds longest sniper shot , a British soldier shot a couple of taliban guys at 2.47 Km , he missed his first two or three shots and adjusted would that make him a idiot for shooting at ranges well over the norm ? I don't think so , whats the difference? , clearly as you can see the airgun was still capable of killing cleanly at that range , just as long as the shooter is capable .

Plenty of knockers as usual .

What I see in the video is someone who has practiced lots (which he advises at the start) who knows the ability of both himself and his gun and the aim points on his scope .

I see someone very skilled not a idiot .

I watched a program on sky the other week which related to the worlds longest sniper shot , a British soldier shot a couple of taliban guys at 2.47 Km , he missed his first two or three shots and adjusted would that make him a idiot for shooting at ranges well over the norm ? I don't think so , whats the difference? , clearly as you can see the airgun was still capable of killing cleanly at that range , just as long as the shooter is capable .

Its called shoot and prey, look how many FT shooters get clear rounds after clear rounds on 40mm discs- there isn't an airgun quarry with a 1 1/2" / 40mm kill zone so 55 yds is too much

Its called shoot and prey, look how many FT shooters get clear rounds after clear rounds on 40mm discs- there isn't an airgun quarry with a 1 1/2" / 40mm kill zone so 55 yds is too much

Yes because " most people are not capable " not because the guns are not , I would bet there are guys out there who will hit that 40mm disc at 55 yards shot after shot .

There are plenty of 100 yard shoots held at clubs all over europe using sub 12ft lb guns and some pretty good groups are achieved , I have also seen some decent ones shot at 200 yards.

Its not the norm and just because I and no doubt you cannot do it , that does not mean it cant or should not be done by those more skilled.

No look at the world championships in FT if you must- top kit best shot around great stances and wacking big 40mm discs and those tagets don't twitch or move unexpectedly. They don't all drop the target every go though unless the course is too easy with no wind and that's at 55 yds max. Groups are meaningless I can and have put 5 shots on the target the size of a CD at 1000 yds with a legal deer calibre but I sure cannot even attempt to shoot deer at 1000 yds.

One shot is all it takes, two is a mistake, three a disgrace. The real skill of long range hunting is the first and only shot fired reaching successful conclusion, to do that you need to draw things in a wee

The thing I find interesting about this kind of thread is that those on here that use a shotgun will happily accept 1 bird for two shots fired as good shooting. So every other barrel of the "good shot" will throw 260 pellets at the quarry, lets say pigeon, probably with numerous hits and thats deemed perfectly acceptable on here.. No one ever gets ripped to shreds for being irresponsible when they talk about the birds they hit but carried on. Yet someone pulls off a shot with greater skills than the above, and everyone jumps on it as irresponsible behaviour. :hmm: Is it not just a little bit hypocritical? And think of the scale of either a .177 or .22 pellet in relation to a pigeon/crow. If its anywhere in the neck up, its a kill and below that in the chest, even if its not downed immediately, it will be terminal fairly fast. Compare that with a couple of no.6 or no7 shot. That can be lodged in the tissue for a long time with associated pain. Even the term "pricked" almost makes it sound acceptable to some :hmm:

I'm not suggesting I would have a go, my skills are no-where near good enough. 45-50 yds for me in ideal conditions is my limit. But there are some cracking marksmen out there.

Edited by turbo33

No look at the world championships in FT if you must- top kit best shot around great stances and wacking big 40mm discs and those tagets don't twitch or move unexpectedly. They don't all drop the target every go though unless the course is too easy with no wind and that's at 55 yds max. Groups are meaningless I can and have put 5 shots on the target the size of a CD at 1000 yds with a legal deer calibre but I sure cannot even attempt to shoot deer at 1000 yds.

One shot is all it takes, two is a mistake, three a disgrace. The real skill of long range hunting is the first and only shot fired reaching successful conclusion, to do that you need to draw things in a wee

But you are just assuming the guy took more than one shot ! , I would say the way he held over he knew there was a very good chance he was going to hit it , he knew the aim point for that range.

Groups mean a lot, a group shows how accurate you are consistently , and how well your gun will perform at the distance, and there is no reason someone who can group inside a kill size zone on paper consistently at any distance should not be able to take a live target at the same ranges.

So that means you can go out and get you 1000 yard deer tomorrow !

Edited by fenboy

I'm not suggesting I would have a go, my skills are no-where near good enough. 45-50 yds for me in ideal conditions is my limit. But there are some cracking marksmen out there.

yeah. I want to be able to chastise them for an irresponsible shot - I know I wouldn't dream of taking something at that range. But that's because I am not good enough! If I was, maybe I'd be in a better position to judge. The chap's clearly worked hard at his long range shooting and knows his scope extremely well, so fair play to him for that. My worry is that I think he's underselling the amount of practice. He says it takes 'hours of practice'. I suspect we're talking over a number of years, but it could sound like he's spent a weekend at a range and then had a bash at an 80yd crow and got lucky, which might make irresponsible people think a week or so on a range and you're all set.

It's not for me, I'd never in a million years take a shot like that, but fair play to the chap. Whether you agree with the ethics of the shot or not, it's a heck of a shot and some serious talent on show!

Yes because " most people are not capable " not because the guns are not , I would bet there are guys out there who will hit that 40mm disc at 55 yards shot after shot .

There are plenty of 100 yard shoots held at clubs all over europe using sub 12ft lb guns and some pretty good groups are achieved , I have also seen some decent ones shot at 200 yards.

Its not the norm and just because I and no doubt you cannot do it , that does not mean it cant or should not be done by those more skilled.

have to agree with above fenboy,,i spend hours out in the field using targets so as to duplicate my hunting conditions with wind etc, i know how my gun performs and just how accurate it is and as the video below shows i can get some very good groups out to 55yrds,,as to shooting live game i dont bother to shoot normally over 35yrds with a sub 12ftlb air rifle because of the chances of a wounding,at most 40yrds.i do think it is down to the individual as to what distance he can shoot and as said there are some fantastic shots in the FT world,certainly more capable than myself and many others on here, i have put this video on just to show how accurate you can be at 55yrds with the right pellet,gun and most importantly the operator,this is after hours and hours of practice and to just show how accurate a pellet and gun in the right hands can be

Get the right tool for the job. If you want to shoot bunnies at 80yards get a rimfire.

Even the slightest paralax error with the rangefinder would mean a huge error in point of impact, the pellet must be dropping over an inch for every yard travelled at that range, same with a tiny change in the wind.

As far as the shotgun comparison goes, responsible shooters keep ranges to where the equipment is properly capable of a clean kill every time.

As far as the shotgun comparison goes, responsible shooters keep ranges to where the equipment is properly capable of a clean kill every time.

Thats the point, responsible shooters. In theory a .177 pellet (from a 11.5ftlb rifle) carries the required energy out past 100yds for a rabbit head shot. So the equipment is capable. The problem lies with the person using the rifle or a shotgun if thats the case. I would hope there aren't too many out there that enjoy wounding the quarry. So the trigger is pulled after an assessment and belief in personal skill. Unfortunately, thats where it falls apart.

Even the great Mr Digweed misses pigeons, and I feel pretty confident that some of the members here were invited for a day with him, they wouldn't be ranting at him and how irresponsible he is.

Edited by turbo33

In an ideal world sih, but that would rule out every single person with a shotgun on here. And with respect, can you honestly say you oneshot one kill every time?

No, read the post again. It's about working within reasonable limitations of your equipment. 80yards with an airgun is not reasonable for the reasons stated

If I suggested shooting a BB load at pigeons 80yards away in the hope that one pellet would connect that would be about as responsible as trying to shoot a rabbit at 80yards with a sub12 airgun.

Get the right tool for the job. If you want to shoot bunnies at 80yards get a rimfire.

Even the slightest paralax error with the rangefinder would mean a huge error in point of impact, the pellet must be dropping over an inch for every yard travelled at that range, same with a tiny change in the wind.

Now there are videos of Mr Digweed shooting pigeon at 80 yards or more but I could not do it consistently enough to even try , point is its rarely the equipment that is not capable its the man with his finger on the trigger.

When people ask the how far can I kill with my airgun question on here the standard answer is at the range "you" can consistently hit a x size target, now for most that is 30- 50 yards but for others its much , much further.