Should settle the .177 v .22 debate

turbo33

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have to agree with above fenboy,,i spend hours out in the field using targets so as to duplicate my hunting conditions with wind etc, i know how my gun performs and just how accurate it is and as the video below shows i can get some very good groups out to 55yrds,,as to shooting live game i dont bother to shoot normally over 35yrds with a sub 12ftlb air rifle because of the chances of a wounding,at most 40yrds.i do think it is down to the individual as to what distance he can shoot and as said there are some fantastic shots in the FT world,certainly more capable than myself and many others on here, i have put this video on just to show how accurate you can be at 55yrds with the right pellet,gun and most importantly the operator,this is after hours and hours of practice and to just show how accurate a pellet and gun in the right hands can be

I agree!

One thing I have found in life is idiots dont need encouraging , they will do it anyway , how many people are shooting at 80 yard pigeons because Digweed can ? , should we get his videos banned from PW ? or should we sit back and say WOW

At least the cost of cartridges might rein in people shooting them at silly distances.

Digweed was doing a good job for his sponsor and those expensive pigeon extreme cartridges wasn't he, ooing and aahing after every shot to let us know how impressed he was with them. I wont be buying any.

At least the cost of cartridges might rein in people shooting them at silly distances.

Digweed was doing a good job for his sponsor and those expensive pigeon extreme cartridges wasn't he, ooing and aahing after every shot to let us know how impressed he was with them. I wont be buying any.

Me neither , because I still would not kill many at that range , which is what I was saying about the airgun guy , some people can where as most of us mere mortals cant ,

Me neither , because I still would not kill many at that range , which is what I was saying about the airgun guy , some people can where as most of us mere mortals cant ,

I doubt very much that if you gave this chap a random set of brain sized targets to hit at extreme range he would either.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and we never see all the injured ones.

Buy the right tool for the job or learn to get within sensible range for the equipment you have, I say.

as for the original video of the crow being shot,i have to say i was very impressed by the shooters ability to hit something at that distance,with regards using a shotgun not the same is it really,but also if i was shooting bunnies with a .22rimfire out to 80yrds that would be pushing it,think i,d be inclined to swap it for a .17hmr. but at the end of the day it is down to the shooters capability

clearly he is skilled enough

He *may* be able to do that nearly every time but you cannot make such a deduction from that video. You'd have to see un-editted video or actually *be* there to be able to make such a statement.

Regards,

Mark.

He *may* be able to do that nearly every time but you cannot make such a deduction from that video. You'd have to see un-editted video or actually *be* there to be able to make such a statement.

Regards,

Mark.

i am only commenting on the clip posted :yes: whether he has edited the clip or not, only he knows :yes: i have no reason to doubt him,so yes my statement stands imo he is clearly skilled enough :yes: some on here have a problem with someone doing only what they dream of,thats not a statement that's Fact :yes: BB

I doubt very much that if you gave this chap a random set of brain sized targets to hit at extreme range he would either.

One swallow doesn't make a summer and we never see all the injured ones.

Buy the right tool for the job or learn to get within sensible range for the equipment you have, I say.

The right tool for pigeon shooting is possibly accepted as the shotgun. In the hands of Joe average, it doesn't kill all the time, me included. You can give a shotgun to plenty on here with random targets called pigeons, and they wouldn't kill or cleanly miss them all. I still don't see why you have to be 100% shot/kill ratio with a rifle but not with a shotgun. There are plenty of videos on here of pheasant shooting, where there are plenty of misses, and clearly the birds have been hit, and quite hard. No codemnation of the shooting there, so why is the shotgun user exempt from critisism?

whether he has edited the clip or not

I don't think that you understand what I meant by "editted". I don't mean "faked" but editted in the sense of not being one continuous stream. You seem to be jumping to the conclusion that he can do this *every* time based upon the filming of a single event. (No matter how many times the same event is shown in slo-mo, it's still a *single* event.)

Regards,

Mark.

Yeh but . 22 is better .177 are ok though....... If you have girly hands lol just to stir things up a bit .......

.22 are better if you cant shoot straight as i has more knock down power where as the .177 is for the finer shot who can place it where it counts

lol that should do it

colin

I don't think that you understand what I meant by "editted". I don't mean "faked" but editted in the sense of not being one continuous stream. You seem to be jumping to the conclusion that he can do this *every* time based upon the filming of a single event. (No matter how many times the same event is shown in slo-mo, it's still a *single* event.)

Regards,

Mark.

I aint jumping to any conclusions but commenting on what was posted,one shot one kill :yes: but i don't believe he could do that every shot,how many can? but it was still a good shot however it gets twisted :yes: BB

Regards,

Mark.

A question , can you hit what you shoot at every time ? no I would suspect , in I would bet there is not a shot gun shooter on the planet that can guarentee to hit what he shoots at every time , but they still take the shot, knowing they might not get a clean kill , shotgun shooters shoot they miss and they wound unfortunately , airgun shooters , shoot they also miss but most decent ones will wound far less because they are going for a exact pellet placement .

And by the way I mostly shoot shotguns .

Edited by fenboy

I have just got my first air rifle in many years of not firing guns other than shotguns & those supplied by HM services.

I had a SLR for "short range opportune targets" & a shotgun for sport shooting vermin and waterfowl.

My air rifle .22 is for small vermin at a range I can kill it, at the moment I am confident at 30yards and hope this will rise as I become competent.

I can say without doubt that I will kill a bigger percentage with an air rifle than with a shot gun.....as shooters it is never a good idea to take a spoon to a knife fight, go equipped with the right tool for the job in hand......every virmin shooter should have an air rifle

Edited by The Ghost

watch this guy

That's the sort of thing that I hate seeing - someone taking pot shots from too great a distance. What's different about *this* film is that he's actually included "misses".

BlueBarrels: Now imagine that he'd only included the "perfect" shots. It'd look like he was *amazing*, wouldn't it?

Regards,

Mark.

I aint jumping to any conclusions but commenting on what was posted,one shot one kill :yes: but i don't believe he could do that every shot,how many can? but it was still a good shot however it gets twisted :yes: BB

That *one* shot, maybe. All the *others*? Who can tell? (His gun buddy, perhaps.)

Regards,

Mark.

A question , can you hit what you shoot at every time ? no I would suspect

Yep, pretty much. *But* I shoot at *very* short range using an air rifle. I won't shoot if it's windy, even then. I don't like shooting animals but, it seems, no-one likes a rat...

The vast majority of my shooting is target shooting and targets don't mind if you "maim" them.

One thing that I find a bit weird when people go on about group sizes is that rather than talking about *best* group sizes, I reckon that the *true* measure of a shooter's ability is their *worst* groups.

One thing that I struggle with is *consistancy* - both with air gun and shotgun. I'm only prepared to shoot pests at very short range because that inconsistancy doesn't make a whole lot of difference. (Long range for me, by the way, is under 20 metres...)

in I would bet there is not a shot gun shooter on the planet that can guarentee to hit what he shoots at every time , but they still take the shot, knowing they might not get a clean kill , shotgun shooters shoot they miss and they wound unfortunately , airgun shooters , shoot they also miss but most decent ones will wound far less because they are going for a exact pellet placement .

And by the way I mostly shoot shotguns .

It exactly those points that mean I only shoot *targets* with a shotgun. I don't consider myself good enough to shoot animals with one.

I would suspect that our opinions with respect to clean kills agree. I would also bet that you're a better shotgunner than me - I'm only in it for the Big Bangs. :)

Regards,

Mark.

But you are just assuming the guy took more than one shot ! , I would say the way he held over he knew there was a very good chance he was going to hit it , he knew the aim point for that range.

Groups mean a lot, a group shows how accurate you are consistently , and how well your gun will perform at the distance, and there is no reason someone who can group inside a kill size zone on paper consistently at any distance should not be able to take a live target at the same ranges.

So that means you can go out and get you 1000 yard deer tomorrow !

No I am not I am however saying nobody records the shots they make a pigs ear of and posts for all to see. Simple fact is even if you think you are a good enough shot, quarry sometimes moves unexpectedly- targets don't!. On release of the trigger( but forget that just for now) and only consider time of flight. As a rough guide it takes 1/3 second for a 12 ft lb airgun to travel just 55 yds, now the fastest men can run 100 mtr in under 10 seconds yet cannot run nearly as fast as say a rabbit. That's 10 yards per second or 3.33 yds during the time the pellet is in flight towards said 55 yds! YET all it takes is a twitch or turn of the head and your out of the zone, add to that wind change during flight and the fact that 12 ft lb placement needs to be so much better than 40mm and so I think your so dead wrong (or should that be un-dead wrong?). We can take lower percentage shots with more potent tools and "having a go at" crows or Rabbits hundreds of yards away with a powerful centre fire is not considered in humane because any body hit is going to be very fatal, quarry like deer? don't even go there - but the airgun user has to be very aware of his limitations as regards his gear and maybe even to a lesser extent his skill but most of all the FACTS. Shotguning and rifle work are a heap of contradictions. if I return a 100% cartridge to kill rate to my wildfowling club I might well be considered an unsporting shot. Furthermore if I dropped a pheasant on a driven day and gave it another one to finish it on the ground I could expect chastisement at the very least also taking sitters is generally a total no-no. All these things are what rifle shooting is about thing is they are both correct!

Not sure if that video is meant to prove anything :| you could do the exact same with a sub 12 ft lbs .22 if the range is known ! Neither is inherently more accurate, the .177 has less drop but ranges should be kept to well under 40 yards for either calibre for most people. I've head shot 2 magpies within minutes on the same high perch tree with a hand held 16.5 ft lbs HW90 .22 at 60 + yards. The gun usually has a 40 yard zero and I've learned to aim off by sheer practice.

I was there when he was shooting, he got critical mass shots all the time, he eats leaves and drinks 100% ethanol, he doesn't require a scope as he has telescopic eyes, he can add extra distance to the short simply by activating his magnetic repell mode, most people don't believe he even exists because he has perfect camouflage skills, he invented the word stalking, he's called ............ The twig.....