Dog in the hide for the 1st time

Colc08

I am planning on going out over the weekend to have a go at the pigeons on some rape on my permission. I am planning on taking my 14 month old cocker bitch with me and it will be her first time in a hide so was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for me so that will go as smoothly as possible?

She has been game shooting with me for the back end of last season and she works a treat when beating but when I was a standing gun sitting still for 30 seconds was an issue in itself! I quite understand and can accept that a cocker is never going to make an ideal peg dog nor am I that bothered about that. As I am sure most young cockers are she is very lively and am sure she is not going to want to sit still for too long in the hide.

I am expecting a frustrating mornings decoying with her but I was just hoping for and pointers that will help me.

Cheers

I took my dog in the hide in the summer she was well behaved but when it was time to go to sleep she laid on the hide and ripped it! It was one if those see through sheets though.

With it being her first time in the hide try to focus on her and her behaviour and not just the shooting. This will give you an idea of what needs improving for next time. Once you get that sorted then you can totally focus on the shooting.

Also mabe put her on a lead if shes having trouble sitting still.

Hope it all goes well.

The first time the dog will try to charge through the net. I would suggest setting your hide up in the garden and throwing a dummy to cast out the dog through the hide enterance so keep it on the lead and set it off when you are ready.

My personal opinion is not to send your spaniel out each time a pigeon is shot but to send it out when there are a few to hunt (if not at the end of the shoot). I wont take my spaniel if I am shooting for longer than a few hours as he is not a "peg" dog and he gets very excited with every shot. I am sure there are plenty of other opinions but this is my experience.

i hide can be a little daunting for a yong pup, assuming you have a ok day there can be a lot of shots going off in close proximity to her so make sure she is 110% ok to gunshot

is she steady to shot ? sounds like oyu need to brush up on her steadyness before asking her to sit still for hours............. if she is pretty steady then i would peg her down otherwise as said she is likely to try and run thorugh the net .......... its important she is steady to shot and falling birds and being in a hide pegged down might help / it might frustrate her ! dont let her retrive all the birds just send her out every now and again this will help build up her patience and steadyness

14 months is still young to expect a dog to sit still for hours on end while you enjoy your shooting, be patient and if its not working put her away in the car, then bring her back out a hour later and try again.

Used to peg my springers till they were used to the hide and keeping still, especialy after I dropped a bird and watched net poles and dog go on 35 yard retrieve leaving me sitting comfortably on my seat in the open somewhat bemused.

I did the same ,let dog go when I shot a bird, use to have the net loose so I could lift to let her out had the same problem with the poles and netting first and only time she bolted she never did it again,yes a tap on the assess sorted her

Yes,but there's nothing like having a dog with you for any form of shooting

Take the dog and use a screw to keep it steady

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I got her as a companion as well as the enjoyment of working her and just hate the thought of her bored at home in the kennel whilst I'm out onmy own shooting. At the same time I understand she is still young and there is plenty of time. The last thing I want to doo though is become frustrated with her and ruin both our days.

Literally as I sit typing this my friend whos farm I shoot on has just text me to asked if I could leave the pigeons as he has a massive crow/rook/jackdaw problem at the moment so looks like i'll be on that at the weekend. In which case shooting blackies is no place for a wriggly cocker in the hide so she will be staying at home after all.

Thanks for you replies guys and as always, everything taken on board and much appreciated :good:

Col

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I got her as a companion as well as the enjoyment of working her and just hate the thought of her bored at home in the kennel whilst I'm out onmy own shooting. At the same time I understand she is still young and there is plenty of time. The last thing I want to doo though is become frustrated with her and ruin both our days.

Literally as I sit typing this my friend whos farm I shoot on has just text me to asked if I could leave the pigeons as he has a massive crow/rook/jackdaw problem at the moment so looks like i'll be on that at the weekend. In which case shooting blackies is no place for a wriggly cocker in the hide so she will be staying at home after all.

Thanks for you replies guys and as always, everything taken on board and much appreciated :good:

Col

Even if your dog was like a statue in the hide I wouldn't want her retreiving crows just in case she picks one with a bit of fight left in it.

As has already been said use a ground screw to tether the dog.I have had the hide destroyed when the dog just decides to go straight through it.I now tether her and she knows she cannot go for a bird unless i release her.

I use an army camo net so she can see out and she can see pigeons before i do.They can also mark where they fall and go straight for them.

I only got mine for in the hide as a companion and retriever for pigeon shooting.

I have a springer he was 2years old when i got him. He's 7 now the first time in the hide he spotted a pigeon i had shot and took most of the hide with him he was so keen to please..

But now he waits while i build the hide i have a sack that he lies on as soon as thats in the hide he's on it and stays there till told otherwise he watches me set all the decoys out. If i want him to pick a bird all i have to do is lift the front of the hide with my foot

and he will run out stop and turn to look at me waiting for directions..he's never lost one yet, he will fetch the bird back then straight on his sack and just curl up waiting for the next one...

I put out shot bird's to help fill the pattern and at the end of the day while I'm taking the hide down he will fetch all the dead birds in and just drop them in a heap...

Edited by hawkeye

• 4 weeks later...

same with me first day out with my 2 yr old ess for first hour all good, temptation got to much and he was gone across field net poles cart bag and all run strait through decoys amd a flapper after a pricked bird that was flying low across field . sorry i could not stop laughing for hours it was so funny and i could here my mate o was set up on other side of field laughing his head off and clapping . and the dog never done it again. i think it was because i had shoot a lot of birds and not given him a retrieve.

so you dont know till you try . you know your dog sometimes you have to go with your instincts good luck. O nows like me 15 years on you mite be still laughing too :lol:

Edited by postie

Just started to take my dog with me no laughing it she is a Westie and she loves it been thinking of spraying her green and brown tho before we go out again lol

I'm enjoying training her and she seems to enjoy it few more trips out and she will hopefully settle a bit more she can manage to pick up a pigeon as well even with her small mouth not expecting her to be the greatest gun dog in the world but she is great company and loves being out in the field

We had a Westie great little dogs, would spend all day outside with me while fishing in countryside and come back looking like he'd been real tree dipped. Wife was not happy, dog was :good:

I have a little black cocker that loves being with me no matter what I'm doing.

Loved being on the marsh with me Wildfowling and having a swim at the back end of season.

Concentrating on the dog is my first job,shooting is secondary. Everything in bite size chunks for the little ones to learn.

Only had a walk on his lead on our last shoot beaters day, no retrieves but I let him work a boundry hedge back going from one drive to the next.

No good spoiling a dog in its first year when you want it to be a good one for years and years, only you will know if being in the hide is right for your dog.

Best advice I could give you is make it fun for the dog and give it a good run about before settling down.

Figgy

Edited by figgy