I thought I was protecting my hearing!!

Cosd

Sonics only reduce the noise a bit, I use them and accept that, but for clays or repetitive shooting I now have Emtec moulded passive plugs.

They work brilliantly and are comfortable enough to wear all day long, but you can't really hear much in the way of conversation with them in.

I use Emtec ones and I find them brilliant, when the gun is fired its just like a "phoof" type noise and I can hear conversation at a clay shoot easily. I have had mine a few years now and were about £70.

Regards

Hcc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll go for the cens. I like the fact that you can upgrade them to digital at a later date.

The only thing I'm concerned about is them staying in my ears. I've never been able to keep earbud style headphones in my ears. Perhaps a have odd shaped ears? :-)

I think I'll go for the cens. I like the fact that you can upgrade them to digital at a later date.

The only thing I'm concerned about is them staying in my ears. I've never been able to keep earbud style headphones in my ears. Perhaps a have odd shaped ears? :-)

These won't fall out of your ears, guaranteed.

I can recommend my audiologist if its convenient for you, she's in Whetstone.........

Here a couple of photos I promised.

This is what you get in the package. There are loads of colours you can get including camo if you want it; I went for matt black moulds with black inserts. You can see each mould has a colour dot for left and right.

1B6D82B7-3ACD-4C85-80CE-A33EAA6F1354-19417-000013F27517E336.jpg

And a nice touch, they laser your name on both moulds too

EBA03E61-0F4B-4523-9D58-23FBF0B60E1D-19417-000013F27F0C78AC.jpg

Cosd,

How do you get on with these was looking at them at the show yesterday but got put off when the women showing them to me said they cant be used in the rain?

Recently got a set of ACS sonics made for me, cant get on with cans as they interfere with gun mount, Napier pro 9's are utter rubbish when you have guns going off right next to you when shooting DTL / compact etc, and foam ones dont aid decent conversation or the ability to hear birds coming in when decoying.

Have to say they are brilliant IMO! I can hear everything as normal, but pull the trigger and your subjected to a "nice" bang - you know youve pulled the trigger but by no means is it loud, and as they are custom moulded, you forget your wearing them! For about £110 all in, you'll struggle to get better for the money in my opinion. Yes the sonic valve is pretty universal and can be had in various cheaper ear plugs, but the custom moulds and unnoticable comfort more than make up for the extra £80 :)

ACSplugs_zps012a75bb.jpg

Edited by Richard.Hosgood

Cosd,

How do you get on with these was looking at them at the show yesterday but got put off when the women showing them to me said they cant be used in the rain?

I don't know about the active ones but I couldn't see it being a problem being they are silicon.

Plus cleaning instructions say to use clean water!

I don't know about the active ones but I couldn't see it being a problem being they are silicon.

Plus cleaning instructions say to use clean water!

It was the electronic ones I was looking at when asked about dropping in water by accident by my mate the woman replied there electrical so don't get them wet even if it starts to rain hard must take them out straight away.

I've been using Sonic II hearing plugs whilst shooting for some time and whilst I thought I was protecting my hearing, yesterday I felt otherwise.

I recently had custom CENS Passive moulds made for a very reasonable £90. That includes going to an audiologist to have impressions made, them being sent off and custom plugs sent back. You get a smart carry pouch and they even laser your name onto the plugs which is a nice touch.

On my first day out yesterday with Herr Plinker who also had the same plugs made, it was very apparent from the off that these worked well. Gun shot was no more apparent than normal conversation we were having whilst sharing the hide. The Sonic's muted gunfire to a degree, but nothing compared to these. This post isn't to put the Sonic plugs down as the price difference alone makes the comparison unfair, but more to say how good these CENS passives are.

Conversation is muted somewhat as you'd expect, but after a while you tune in to the volume and hearing somebody whilst sharing a hide was good. Using a walkie talkie or mobile phone isn't an issue either whilst wearing the CENS. Comfort wise, you can't tell you've got anything in your ears, it's that simple, even after 8 hours you just forget you are wearing them.

I don't get on with headphone type protection, especially in the summer. These seem perfect for me now, and there is always the option to replace the passive inserts with active ones at a later date if you want to. If I get a chance tonight I'll post a couple of photos......

Cos

very useful post . I have never really got on with the sonic plugs ( my ears would still ring !) so i decided to buy a moulded set of plugs from newark last year , but these use the same sonic valve so are not alot of use to me really ( £80 lighter !) . I am still left with ringing ears after shooting .

I have recently been looking at the CENS passive for the same reason really , so if i don`t get on with them i can buy the active part . by the sounds of this post i will get on alot better with the CENS passive :good: .

just the post i needed to make my mind up thanks

do they stay in ok? no danger of them coming out? could be used for motorbiking too no doubt?

None of these custom ones will fall out of your ears as they are a perfect fit to you and to each ear even.

It's a little difficult to explain what part of the ear locks them in place, but when you put them in you push them on holding them at 12 O'clock, you rotate them back to 10 O'Clock, press in then rotate back to 12 O'Clock; This locks them in at the top of the ear. Whilst pulling down on your ear lobe you gently push the bottom of the plug in and that locks in place at the bottom and sides too. It sounds a bit of a faff, but after a couple of tries it takes about 5 seconds to get them in.

They lock in place so well, there's actually a technique to get them out (takes about 2 seconds) otherwise you will struggle to take them out as there is no where to grab them from.

I should be on commision :)

I've ordered the CENS - just pay online and they send you a voucher by e-mail. It's a bit confusing, but it looks like you need to tell them which audiologist from their list you would like to visit, they then contact them and send you another voucher?

We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea what the extra passive modules do on their website for £9.50 each mate?

Cheers

The passive modules are included in the £90. They are for inserting into the ear moulds when the digital modules are not being used. :good:

I went for the luminous yellow ear piece (in case I drop them) and royal blue modules (Chelsea) :D

E37F7EC8-E606-417D-AEC6-636A07FBE635-5600-0000070300DAC446.jpg

I've had mine in for an hour (handy when your 14&15 year olds have just got in from school) and they're very comfortable. I nearly went for the Emtec passives but paid a bit extra for these as I can upgrade in the future (if I win the lottery).

How much did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking? I presume you got the CENS Passives.

Cos

Ignore that, I just read your last post!!

Nice colours except the blue bit :lol: :lol:

Edited by Cosd

Sonics only reduce the noise a bit, I use them and accept that, but for clays or repetitive shooting I now have Emtec moulded passive plugs.

They work brilliantly and are comfortable enough to wear all day long, but you can't really hear much in the way of conversation with them in.

yep emtec for me :good:

KW

Sounds good, I know Boots in Belfast City Centre do them over here. Couldn't find anyone that did the CENS.

Think that I will get a set of ACS once the FEO has been out for a visit.

UGM there is a Cens guy just outside Dromore -- a friend of mine got his made up with him .

Just waiting for my Cens passives to drop through the letter box next week hopefully.

Went for black moulds and red passive inserts with my name etched on them, after seeing yours cosd etched on in ear part I better contact them to make sure they are etching the insert aswell.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Just waiting for my Cens passives to drop through the letter box next week hopefully.

Went for black moulds and red passive inserts with my name etched on them, after seeing yours cosd etched on in ear part I better contact them to make sure they are etching the insert aswell.

Figgy

They Laser the name inside as part of the £90 package.

Good luck with them, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cos