Peugeot Partner cold starting problem

tikka.223

As per title 2003 1.9D which on cold mornings is hard to start but once started its fine for the rest of the day.When starting from cold there's alot of blue smoke which clears within seconds,tick over when cold is rough/lumpy but again this clears within 10 seconds.

So far I have changed the glow plugs but no difference.

TIA

As per title 2003 1.9D which on cold mornings is hard to start but once started its fine for the rest of the day.When starting from cold there's alot of blue smoke which clears within seconds,tick over when cold is rough/lumpy but again this clears within 10 seconds.

TIA

Glow plugs powering up?

Glow plugs or the reley timer.

I have put glow plugs in that customers have supplied from the likes of ebay and they have failed in a few days.

I had one last week on a shogun the customer supplied a new set of plugs.

I tested them before he left and one of the plugs was dead and another one was a dead short.

If one of your old plugs had burned out and gone to a dead short it my have blown a fuse or fried the reley.

My main issue would be the smoke is blue not white. When glow plugs are down its usually white, still check they are getting a current to the rail that's your first check. Saves buying bits you don't need, then re check the glow plugs if it all checks out then its possibly more serious and a lack of compression

Ive known diesels struggle to start with just on heater plug down. Remove heater plug rail. Get a peace of wire with one end on positive of battery then with the other end dab each plug . If there working they should spark if not there buggerd

This is how I always test them easy to do and straight away tell you which ones arent working so you can just replace those to get you going but the other wont last long I always find, best option change the lot if theres a couple gone.

I had to put a relay timer on mine last year I have the same vani if the plugs test ok you can do the same with the relay nice thick wir staright off live to the post on the timer that goes to heaters 20 seconds and away you go, worked for me for a couple of days until timer was delivered

TIA

hi fella,if the glow plugs are at fault they should be white smoke witch means unburnt diesel, if its blue smoke thats not good as oil is entering the bores if thats the case its down on compresion and/ or the valve stem oil seals are worn/ leaking

My main issue would be the smoke is blue not white. When glow plugs are down its usually white....

hi fella,if the glow plugs are at fault they should be white smoke witch means unburnt diesel...

My VW Passat has 3 glow plugs out of six down (saving for new ones!), it similarly runs rough as for a few seconds on start up and blows out smoke. It is kind of white, but not pure white, I'd describe it as more a blue/grey. It doesn't use any oil though. Quite literally, I never need to top it up between oil changes. Still a potential issue?

I double checked again today and the smoke is more a white/grey colour and clears within seconds,no smoke when driving.

I took a cable from the battery to the plugs and each sparked when the wire made contact with the top of the plug,glow plugs were changed to NGK ones.When I removed the old ones I tested them 2 were fine,one was slow to glow and the fourth was kaput.

Im thinking its the relay but when the van its switched on I can hear something clicking for around 30+ seconds.

I had to put a relay timer on mine last year I have the same

How much was the relay timer and is it a DIY job to change?

Air getting into fuel line. Check all fuel line connections. During the night time as air is able to get into fuel system the diesel is syphoned back to tank using gravity. Then when you go to start it the fuel takes a while to pressurise and has air in it hence smoke.

Common fault it's usually the piece by the fuel filter.

Edited by andypaint

They relay on my X reg 2000 model is under the bonnet on the passenger inner wing and is a few minute job to change couple of wires on posts with nuts on and a plug if I remember right, it was around £80 for a genuine item,dont think I could find after market at the time not cheap I know but did the trick,hope this helps

Air getting into fuel line. Check all fuel line connections. During the night time as air is able to get into fuel system the diesel is syphoned back to tank using gravity. Then when you go to start it the fuel takes a while to pressurise and has air in it hence smoke.

Common fault it's usually the piece by the fuel filter.

I have also seen this before. but on older cars normaly.

Royboy is not saying they spark at the ends.

What he is saying is a simple test with the heater plugs still in the head.

He is saying if you put a live wire to the heater plug thread on top of the plug you will get an electrical spark between the top of the heater plug and the live wire if the plug is not dead. SIMPLES IF YOU READ IT PROPERLY.

Ive known diesels struggle to start with just on heater plug down. Remove heater plug rail. Get a peace of wire with one end on positive of battery then with the other end dab each plug . If there working they should spark if not there buggerd

This sounds a good bit of advice, do you mean disconnect the power supply/wire to the heater plug then dab it with the live wire?

Sorry I am not a mechanic but this sounds a good way of checking without taking the thing out and checking if it glows.

Thanks

Hcc

Royboy is not saying they spark at the ends.

What he is saying is a simple test with the heater plugs still in the head.

He is saying if you put a live wire to the heater plug thread on top of the plug you will get an electrical spark between the top of the heater plug and the live wire if the plug is not dead. SIMPLES IF YOU READ IT PROPERLY.

:good: :good: :good: Thats the one mate. Oldest trick in the book !

This sounds a good bit of advice, do you mean disconnect the power supply/wire to the heater plug then dab it with the live wire?

Sorry I am not a mechanic but this sounds a good way of checking without taking the thing out and checking if it glows.

Thanks

Hcc

Ye mate . It just sends a live feed to the Glow plug. If there's no little spark the plug is jiggered. Dont just disconnect the live. Take the whole rail off or this method will not work

Edited by Royboy