warning currys electrical store

foggy011983

Thanks Cranfield although you cant see it on main forum I am in contact in PM. If you wish I can post the comments on to mainscreen.

If you want to check just look on twitter you will see there is no comments from me as im holding back till Cosd has a chance

Edited by foggy011983

Hi yes our ducting is 100mm. As I've read that is the standard size.

I think the connector on the currys unit was 125mm. Don't quote me as the unit is at my dads so i can't check.

There was reducers and connectors at b&q and the other stores but none would connect to the currys extractor.

We tried or best to get something to get it to work otherwise there would be no point buying it in the first place lol.

as we couldn't get a adapter at currys and after what had happened we bought another unit from Wickes. This fitted straight on. Just like the one from currys should have.

It took a maximum of 10 minutes to instal.

For now I'm going to wait and see what happens I'll keep you all updated on out come.

The suspense is killing me! Tune in on Monday folks for the next edition of -

Curry Munch...THE EXTRACTORS

Will foggy have to publicly apologise?

Will peg leg get the duct size confirmation?

Will cosd find the answers he is looking for?

Will cranfield sensor and close the thread just before the cliffhanger conclusion?

Tune in next week folks....

(Cue starsky and hutch type music)

Edited by gixer1

Interestingly Currys are in the right you have no right to return goods bought in a shop. Online/mail order is different, the fit for purpose argument doesn't apply "it is unreasonable to expect the shop to know what size duct is in your house!) I am no lover of currys but they are correct in this case. Contact head office and they will probably sort something for you.

Hi yes our ducting is 100mm. As I've read that is the standard size.

I think the connector on the currys unit was 125mm.

Standard duct for the uk is 100mm,extractors with larger exhausts are of a higher capacity,needing bigger ductwork.

Screwfix sell 150 to 125mm adapters and 125 to 100 mm adapters that go inside each other to allow multiple duct options

To say the larger size exhaust is europe only is wrong as they have been widely available in the uk for years starting in high end high capacity machines and filtering down to more mainstream models.

Edit. as you suspect the box had been opened before perhaps the adapter had not been repacked as the hoods i usually buy have the adapter in the fittings pack.This is of course pure speculation.

Edited by Rupert

funnily enough i've never had any grief with currys, even the last time i bought something from them, a cheap telly lasted for a few years, then it went wrong. although they didn't fix or replace for free (why should they?) they did do me a good deal on a replacement. Comet on the other hand were a shower of, fixed a cooker under warranty, 7months later it fails on the same fault again only to be told the warranty repair only has a guarantee of 6 months, Tossers! the only thing i can recommend is make sure you know your stuff as some of the sales staff rarely do. as far as i'm aware you're not automatically entitled to a refund anyway, that's at the managers discretion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys just thought I'd let you know how i got on.

First of all a big thank you to cosd for getting involved and trying to help out.

First of all talks with currys failed and they refused to refund saying they couldn't overrule the managers decision.

I then spoke to Suffolk trading standards, who said because firstly the box wasn't sealed when we purchased it, it was against the unfair terms and conditions regulations.

They also said because there was no basements on the outside of the box, instore or online you couldn't tell easily what the dimensions were until you got home. Yet again this breached the unfair terms and conditions regulations.

They advised me to send a recorded delivery letter stating the above to give currys a last chance before they would step in.

Today i had a phone call from the executive office where a member of their staff sorted a full refund. He apologised and said he was sorry for all the hassle caused and said he could not understand why the manager was making such a fuss. He said things would have been different if we had tried to return after a week but after two hours he thought it was

He also said firmly this is not like currys and doesn't represent their company as a whole and that Head office will be looking in to how this could be prevented from happening to other people in the future.

Anyway thanks again to cosd and thank you to the member of staff i spoke to today for resolving the issue.

Steve

Many years ago, my wife bought an electric kettle from them. It wasn't an expensive kettle in fact it was probably the cheapest. She got it home, plugged it in and it didn't work. So back she went to change it. They wouldn't change it, they said it has to be sent away to be examined and if it could be repaired it would be. She handed over the kettle and went somewhere else to buy another.

Months later we got a letter out of the blue saying it was ready for collection, I don't think she ever did collect it. were we expected to have been boiling water in a saucepan all that time?

What they could never know is that she has never knowingly bought anything from them ever again. She distrusts them in the way only a woman can, there is no chance they could make it back into her good books.. So all the vacuum cleaners, the irons, the TVs (two teenage sons growing up means lots of bits and pieces) games stations, DVD players, washing machines, fridges, freezers, cameras, computers, telephones etc that they have lost out on over the years because of that one stupid kettle

Edited by Vince Green

Currys staff aren`t very well clued up on their products i find. First off it`s new faces everytime you visit and unless the manager is around they all huddle round the till on their smart phones. Prices are good to be fair to them and they`re open Sat & Sun.