Why do some people find it so hard to be straight?

ironhorse

A little while back a farmer was crying out for help with a pigeon infestation on his rape, claims of thousands destroying his crop, the farm is near the south coast approximately 20 miles from me so no far but not close either, and as we all know footing the bill for a day’s shooting is down to the individual, it us who pay not the farmer, he allows us to shoot over his land and by doing so he gets a service for no outlay what so ever, but like any partnership it only works well if you work together and also have mutual respect, if one side does not play the game the whole thing falls apart. Ok that being said I contacted the farmer and arranged a visit to look over the aria, the first problem I saw was the size of the fields, one field was originally 3 fields and also there was very sparse cover but the farmer had put out makeshift hides, which were little use, 3 other fields also had little or no cover to enable hide, I had 5-6 visits to this farm but it just could not be shot and the numbers claimed well let’s just say I did not see anything like it, I also spoke to a number of other shooters who had answered the call and were also disappointed, after every visit I had there I would receive a text claiming that 500/1000/1500/even 2000 pigeons had got off the field where I had been, this really annoyed me this guy playing me for an idiot insulting my intelligence , other shooters also had received these texts after they had left, some guys had travelled distance. I asked for hides to be put in certain places but nothing was done. I have many years’ pigeon shooting experience and shoot regularly and being self employed has allowed me to shoot on days that others can’t, but although I love my pigeon sport I will not be insulted by anyone, if I treated men I employ in this manor I would soon be working by myself, so there is the Point. Needless to say mine and my two lads help has been withdrawn, he can continue to use the litter brigade, we will continue shooting where we are appreciated.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You dont need cover to shoot pigeon , just stick your hide up in the field !

Yes farmers can sometimes exaggerate , but also there can be 1000s on a field one day and hardly any the next , all it takes is a change of wind direction or someone elsewhere doing some drilling etc.

This comment just had to come up!! Well all I can say is you are prepared to sell out yourself respect in order to get some pigeon shooting.

Care to explain alittle more , I'm lost if I enjoy just being out with a chance of a shot thats my look out not self respect lost just a over sized ego

the farmer dosn,thave to do anything at all, just giving you permission is enough in my book the rest is up to you, and has been said you set a hide up in the middle of a field and shoot birds and i wouldn,t even try to rock the boat with any farmer what he says goes we need them just to have land to shoot on and if they ring you to have a go at the pigeons you go regardless of the amount thats there thats how you keep your permissions

the farmer dosn,thave to do anything at all, just giving you permission is enough in my book the rest is up to you, and has been said you set a hide up in the middle of a field and shoot birds and i wouldn,t even try to rock the boat with any farmer what he says goes we need them just to have land to shoot on and if they ring you to have a go at the pigeons you go regardless of the amount thats there thats how you keep your permissions

If you are prepared to be pushed around and taken advantage of, it just shows lack of self respect which you can’t deny, end of argument.

No mate I keep my perms by being loyal to the farmer I shoot for :yes: not for someone offering shooting that's overshot and me acting as a mobile bird scarer for the day :good: BB