Why do some people find it so hard to be straight?

ironhorse

totally agree with you TIGHTCHOKE,

i`m getting texts,phone callers from a farmer 20--30 miles from my base telling me of hundreds of pigeons killing his rape fields and i`m turning up everytime,

set up and try my best to shoot for him (sometimes only bagging 3--4 birds)and thank him very much for the SPORT.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know what the fuss is about. A farmer can't force anyone to shoot on their land. If you are disappointed by the apparent lack of pigeons on a farm - DON'T GO!

There are a few farmers that exaggerate pigeon numbers, but that's just the way it is. It has already been mentioned that pigeons can move from a field at a moments notice. This exact thing happened to me this year. A farmer texted me to say there was hundreds of pigeonbs on his rape every day. This is a farm where i've shot some big bags in the last couple of years, so i went and had a look. As described there was hundreds of birds on it. Two days later i turned up with a view to shooting the field and there wasn't a bird in sight....Tough.

I still don't know why lots of shooters think there needs to be cover to set up a hide.

If you arrive at a field without any hedge/cover and plonk a hide down pigeons will veer away, they need time to get use to this new item that was not there before, so it is a good idea to have your hide up for at least a couple of days before you plan to shoot, it’s not a case of you need cover to set up a hide if you have cover then you have not altered the aria pigeons happy.

If you arrive at a field without any hedge/cover and plonk a hide down pigeons will veer away, they need time to get use to this new item that was not there before, so it is a good idea to have your hide up for at least a couple of days before you plan to shoot, it’s not a case of you need cover to set up a hide if you have cover then you have not altered the aria pigeons happy.

Well go and put a hide up yourself then!

At the end of the day it is your hobby, the farmer has much better things to do than run around building hides for someone who comes round once a week to try and shoot some pigeons!

load of rubbish

post-21887-0-78539700-1360512817_thumb.jpgpost-21887-0-61368000-1360512846_thumb.jpg

these didn,t veer away neither did 129 birds motty shot yesterday in a similar postion

Edited by yickdaz

yeah it was but the green thing around wasn,t

Why were you drawn to the telegraph pole? Because it would help your hide blend in rather than standing out on its own in a field maybe.

Pigeons are contrary but I'm sure they are often wary of a new object in a field but very dismissive of familiar ones with a bit added on

Why were you drawn to the telegraph pole? Because it would help your hide blend in rather than standing out on its own in a field maybe.

Pigeons are contrary but I'm sure they are often wary of a new object in a field but very dismissive of familiar ones with a bit added on

your right i put it there as you say because its an add on rather than put it in the middle of a field but if no pole was there i wouldn,t hesitate to stick a hide in the middle of a field, i have shot many times with a hide smack in the middle of a field

your right i put it there as you say because its an add on rather than put it in the middle of a field but if no pole was there i wouldn,t hesitate to stick a hide in the middle of a field, i have shot many times with a hide smack in the middle of a field

I always seem to have the damn things coming over high and being able to see into my hide when I set up in a field but sometimes if you're near a road or whatever you have to give it a go don't you.

I have no problem with setting up in the middle of a field, but in a way i can see where ironhorse is comeing from, a couple of years ago i had a call from a farmer saying he had about a thousand pigeons hammering his rape so i ended up in the end wasting time taking two days off work and two weekends there and didn't see more than 100 at the very most, and i doubt very much there was ever a thousand there ,there was hardly any damage or droppings under the trees. What ****** me off was i could have been on some fields not to far from me that did have loads on. Seems to me you cant say a bad word about farmers without everyone jumping down your throat. The sun don't shine out of all their *****.

Edited by shootnfish

I have no problem with setting up in the middle of a field, but in a way i can see where ironhorse is comeing from, a couple of years ago i had a call from a farmer saying he had about a thousand pigeons hammering his rape so i ended up in the end wasting time taking two days off work and two weekends there and didn't see more than 100 at the very most, and i doubt very much there was ever a thousand there ,there was hardly any damage or droppings under the trees. What ****** me off was i could have been on some fields not to far from me that did have loads on. Seems to me you cant say a bad word about farmers without everyone jumping down your throat. The sun don't shine out of all their *****. I do still shoot on the farm i mentioned but i do take what he says with a pinch of salt.