Remington 1100 continued jamming - Help!!

coneyhunter

Hello all,

i shot skeet today with my newly bough Remmy 1100 12 gauge and unfortunatley it was not a pleasant experience icon_mad.gif

Initially i shot with Eley olympics 28 grams shells, first shot cycled fine and then would not feed the second shell, not an issue i thought, hasnt been shot for a bit so needs running in.

Second shot bang, third shot jam, fourth shot bang, fith shot jam and so it continued, unbelivably frustrating and left me with no choice but to borrow my fathers skeet o/u to finish my stands.

Afterwards i tried some of my homeload 32 gram shells, which have flown through any auto ive ever owned, not the Remmy, again i was plagued with jams icon_rolleyes.gif .

I was told to run the gun with the mag tube wet, i gave it a liberal soaking of Legia spray before shooting commenced, the gas ports seemed to be clear and the rubber O ring has no snaps or breaks missing, so im confused as to why this gun doesnt want to cycle at all.

I beleive it hasnt been fired for a while before i owned it and im aware this may be the cause, the Remmys have been known to be called jam-0-matics but i was sure theyd cycle modern ammo succesfully.

Please could some one tell me how to get it cycling proplerly, i like the gun and shot well with it in the short period that it worked, but if i cant it will have to go icon_sad.gif

than 11.gif ks in advance

are the piston rings on round the right way ?... is it a 2 3/4" chambered field or skeet gun , as the magnum 1100 needs 3" carts to cycle ?... has someone had the trigger group out of the gun and pulled the trigger ,

if so this bends something , cant remember which part now , and causes problems such as yours...is the mag tube clean and spring ok...the bolt return spring in the stock can get dirty and /or rust.

causing feeding problems...i have had a Rem 1100 Skeet B for 30 years and never a problem as maintained and cleaned regularly...best handling semi auto you can get ...stick with it

The magazine spring may be your problem as when you first fire the first shot the bolt is pushed back releasing a cartridge from the magazine which is pushed by the spring onto the feeder ,It also need's to hit the bolt release and that releases the bolt to go forwards completing the cycle.

If the spring is weakened the cartridge does not hit the bolt release hard enough to operate it, to test it out remove the magazine spring and stretch it out a bit refit and see if that cures the jamming if so you need to order a new mag spring.

are the piston rings on round the right way ?... is it a 2 3/4" chambered field or skeet gun , as the magnum 1100 needs 3" carts to cycle ?... has someone had the trigger group out of the gun and pulled the trigger ,

if so this bends something , cant remember which part now , and causes problems such as yours...is the mag tube clean and spring ok...the bolt return spring in the stock can get dirty and /or rust.

causing feeding problems...i have had a Rem 1100 Skeet B for 30 years and never a problem as maintained and cleaned regularly...best handling semi auto you can get ...stick with it

hi there, its a sporter model with a 2/34 chamber, im not sure if the previous owner has tinkered with it at all, my plan is to strip the gun and inspect myself. The Americans tell me to lubicate everything which i have done but maybe not enough

We need to understand fully what is going on, you can leave the bangs out and shot numbers!

Is it ejecting the empty?

Is the bolt returning onto an empty chamber?

Is a fresh round half entering the chamber?

U.

Hi underdog,

the first shot the empty shell flew out but did not feed the next shell, it sort of got caught halfway between the mag tube and the receiver. The same happened on the fourth shot. The gun then cycled two shells without issue, then when i reloaded and shot again the empty hull did not leave the chamber, it sat in the the receiver. I manaully extracted the shell and pushed the bolt forward, this chambered a fesh shell, when i fired again the empty hull flew out. Unfortunatley on the next two shots the gun jammed again and i swapped to my dads o/u becuase i was holding everybody up :/ . Afterwards i tried my 32 gram homelads and they did the same, ejected the spent hull but would not load another shell, at this point in the wind and rain id had enough and called it a day :no:

I had a 1187 Sporting Clays which did same - fortunately it was simple for mine - just sharpened up ejector claw with round diamond file - Was told to do that by the then importes Hull Cartridges.- Funny enough has same problem with my Beretta A300 and sharpened ejector and all has been fine since - Seems claw was sliding off brass lip.

Dave

So it seems a cartridge is being released from the mag but you have weak ejection.

You mention a time when the bolt would not travel forward unless pushed! That would be reason enough for me to remove the stock and check the bolt return spring and tube.

Second I would be wondering why the weak ejection (I trust the empty is being extracted just not ejcted). The action of the gas piston is to unlock the action primarily and with residual pressure in the barrel acting on the bolt also push the bolt back. Ports sometimes get crudded up delaying the action of the piston un-locking the bolt.

Your heavier loads making no difference would suggest partially restricted gas ports! The gun un-locks but to late or when not enough energy (pressure) is left to give reliable cycle.

Due to the speed timing is crucial with a gasser, the piston has to be un-locked in very narrow window in order for the gun to cycle. Modern autos allow a huge volume of gas to enter the piston and then bleed off any extra. Your excellent 1100 does it the good old way, tuned to a standard range of expected pressures.

Check your ports, some folk drill them out a touch even!!

U.

So it seems a cartridge is being released from the mag but you have weak ejection.

You mention a time when the bolt would not travel forward unless pushed! That would be reason enough for me to remove the stock and check the bolt return spring and tube.

Second I would be wondering why the weak ejection (I trust the empty is being extracted just not ejcted). The action of the gas piston is to unlock the action primarily and with residual pressure in the barrel acting on the bolt also push the bolt back. Ports sometimes get crudded up delaying the action of the piston un-locking the bolt.

Your heavier loads making no difference would suggest partially restricted gas ports! The gun un-locks but to late or when not enough energy (pressure) is left to give reliable cycle.

Due to the speed timing is crucial with a gasser, the piston has to be un-locked in very narrow window in order for the gun to cycle. Modern autos allow a huge volume of gas to enter the piston and then bleed off any extra. Your excellent 1100 does it the good old way, tuned to a standard range of expected pressures.

Check your ports, some folk drill them out a touch even!!

U.

Hi underdog,

many thanks for your help, i will strip the gun down tomorrow and inspect, ive asked the same question on an American forum and the same has been mentioned, as well as the bolt return spring, hopefully all will be good :good::yes:

I was told to run the gun with the mag tube wet, i gave it a liberal soaking of Legia spray before shooting commenced, the gas ports seemed to be clear and the rubber O ring has no snaps or breaks missing, so im confused as to why this gun doesnt want to cycle at all.

I've shot Remmy 1100's on and off for more years than I can remember and have always run them as dry as possible and had very few ejection problems. If you run them wet the hot gasses that operate the cycling will burn any oil on the magazine tube and clog up the gubbins. They need to be kept scruptiously (spelling) clean and only very lightly oiled (just put a tiny drop on your fingertip and rub it on that way) rather than spraying loads on. It also goes without saying that you clean it thoroughly after each outing.

One other thing worth noting with 1100's is that they were originally designed to be used when 32g cartridges were the norm. As has been mentioned, check that the 2 steel piston rings are the correct way round.

This may help

http://www.remington...m/topic113.html

Edited by Elmer Fudd.

I've shot Remmy 1100's on and off for more years than I can remember and have always run them as dry as possible and had very few ejection problems. If you run them wet the hot gasses that operate the cycling will burn any oil on the magazine tube and clog up the gubbins. They need to be kept scruptiously (spelling) clean and only very lightly oiled (just put a tiny drop on your fingertip and rub it on that way) rather than spraying loads on. It also goes without saying that you clean it thoroughly after each outing.

One other thing worth noting with 1100's is that they were originally designed to be used when 32g cartridges were the norm. As has been mentioned, check that the 2 steel piston rings are the correct way round.

This may help

Absolutly and any unburnt oil absorbes gas residue and slowly turns to gunge!

U.

This may help

Very correct---run the tube dry and no oil on it anywhere. A bit of synthetic lube on the inside of the action applied with a qtip will keep friction to a whisper. Another thing that needs attention is the chamber---a bit of steel wool on a bore brush and a good buffing using a cordless drill will remove any plastic/rust residue that accumulates in the chamber area. I have never had an o ring fail in 40 years of shooting 1100s but assume it is possible.

This may help

Elmer.

Absolutely correct .......Also check that the lower cartridge lifter arm is not slightly twisted.

Years ago at a shoot Duncan Lawton turned up at stand I was at - He shot and still does 1100's - in his bag was spare receiver and a few barrels and all were dripping in oil -- I shot mine wet but used semi synthetic engine oil on mag tube - just a finger dab in can and smear it around mag tube and rings - it just wiped off with a rag after a shoot. - Have to say it's never worked on any other semi auto.

Dave

Edited by DSPUK

i thought this myself and have ordered some viton o rings, have spoken to a freind of mine about the gun and his old one would refuse to cycle eleys, it would only cycle gamebore clear pigeons. I think i must be grateful for the fact my Beretta cycles literally anything i put through it :lol:

Years ago I had a Remington 1100 "TUNED" to shoot Winchester shells, after that I kept the tube relatively wet with oil and it worked wonderfully. Regret selling it now!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

• 2 weeks later...

I run my 410 version dry on the outside and inside of the mag tube, make sure the steel rings are clean and right way around flat side to the flat back and the curved end pointing up the barrel, Light lub inside receiver

Gas ports on Barrel get a small drill mine is 0.5mm and hand turn in gas ports to clear out any gunk

Spares are available from www.gunspares.co.uk on a next day service and cheap

Ther is I think is called a deflector spring that deflects from Mag into barrel could possibly be that but grease or Oil on outer mag tube most likely cause or mag spring if larger than standard Mag i.e. 5 or 8 cart

Feel sorry for you I had a 1187 I bought from a 'friend' who was giving shooting up that did exactly the same thing. Tried all the things you have with no success. I liked the handling of the gun so Spent over £150 with two local gunsmiths and the problem remained so it sold to someone who wanted the barrel and stock for £80 quid. Gutted never buy remington again.

Ive shot Remingtons for over forty years and providing you clean them regularly they give little trouble. the sad fact is that there are many old 1100s out there doing the rounds that are just SHOT OUT, they are good for about 150,000 rounds, after that get rid of it, i bought a new 1187 Sportsman three years ago and i work it hard and it is faultless. No other auto handles like a Remy, i might be biased but I LOVE MY REMINGTON.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just got a 1187 i shot it for the first time today on a 100 bird sporting it was faultless,but when someone told me in the clubhouse to keep some spare o-rings in my bag,i took it apart and there was no o-ring on it.we thought it had fallen out when we stripped it so gave it another try on the pool shoot again no problems.the question is do they all have o-rings and if so will do any harm to shoot it without one.

bornfree

Edited by bornfree