Is that food foreign Bar Code

ironhorse

I think people on the telly are taking this horse meat thing a bit to far, the company should have admitted it yes but, just issue a public apology and change the label to horse and beef and whatever else, it'll make no difference to me I'll still buy and eat it happily.

Edited by smokinggun

The crux of the above link below. And as someone that works in this highly entertaining field I can vouch for it's accuracy. ;)

A GTIN starts with the GS1 Prefix of the GS1 Member Organisation that allocated a GS1 Company Prefix to a company to allow them to generate GTINs and bar code their products. This does not mean that the product was manufactured in a specific country or by a specific manufacturer, it may have been produced anywhere in the world.

90 on a can of Red Bull?

(edit: only 8 digits, much less than some other bar codes just looked at)

Your looking at an ean8 code, the other european sort being 13 digits in length. The yank versions are 7 and 12 digits long and called upc codes but of the same 'family'. These two types being used in retail at point of sale.

I think people on the telly are taking this horse meat thing a bit to far, the company should have admitted it yes but, just issue a public apology and change the label to horse and beef and whatever else, it'll make no difference to me I'll still buy and eat it happily.

If the horses were bred and reared for meat then so would I, but thats not whats been happening. This is meat from old nags of dubious origin that has entered the food chain,( apparantly in Rumania they are saying now), with none of the health checks and safeguards in place.

What they are not saying because it would be too explosive, but has to come out at some time, is that the whole EU wide system of accrediting and inspecting meat is potentially riddled with corruption and fraud and probably has been for years. No suprises there then

why have the uk government not banned the import of foreign processed meat ?if its not whats on the label ie horse not beef

I don't think they can.... We are all in the eu... Remember the French ban on UK beef and the fines...... Some Romanian gangsters have been passing off old nags as beef..... Wouldn't surprise me to find out the hoards of feral ponies in the uk have ended up in Romanian slaughter houses to be sold back as beef..........with some caravan owners pocketing the proceeds and some meat inspectors retiring to a nice big house on the lake!