12 bore brass casses

Did try Henry Krank today but he could not help thanks anyway Vince.

Thanks for the thought matone, but I think kynoch stopped production when they were taken over by ICI sometime after the end of the 1914- 1918 war.

Have recently tried Alan Myers last week, he does have 12 bore brass case's in stock but they are only 2 3/4". He did say he could turn some up for me from solid brass blanks, but the price makes it a no no about £15 each.Cheers anyway Dipper.

For those reloaders looking for brass case's Alan Myers has a good selection 16-12-10-8 and I think 4 bore.

Hi Fenman,

Do you have any recipe's for 27/8 brass cases?I got mine through rockymountain cartridge in the U.S, but they don't send to this country so you need to know someone in the U.S to get them sent to and they send them to you.Heres the link http://www.rockymoun...Kits Prices.pdf

Edited by DOLLSEYES

Hi Matone,

I did google kynoch today, you are right, they are still in buisness, but now trade under the name of Kynamco LTD. I then phoned them and they told me they no longer do shotgun cart;s they only do riffle ammo, most of it big bore stuff so if you have a 600 nitro express look no further, mind you I think you would be a bit over gunned for pigeon ha ha.No seriously it was worth a try.Cheers Matone

Hi Dollseyes,

You didn't say what you were intending to load lead, bismuth,steel or what. My chamberless gun I have owned for over 40 years, makes me feel old, in those days I was loading, If I remember right,between 38 and 42 grains of Nobel number 2 pushing 1 1/2-1 3/4 and 2 oz of lead. Nobel no 2 was later replaced by Nobel 82.I then switched to a french powder called ' Powder T'.It was a bit slower burning than 82, it was good for big loads, quite soft really,the second shot was always on, those loads were certainly not what we used to call earthquake machines.The trouble is none of these powders are now available and i havn't loaded brass cases for close on 20 years.I am saying this just to explain that, that's how things used to be, for the future, I hope to be loading steel,that's why I am looking for 3 1/2" cases as steel has a bigger volume for the same weight as lead.I like you, will then be looking for loading info as loading steel is a totally different ball game, faster powder and special steel shot wads.and compatible primers.

All i can advise for you is firstly,is your gun chamberless, if it is and you are using thin brass cases you can go up the next size in bore for wads ie- 12 bore brass 10 bore wads.If it is not chamberless do not I repeat,do not use 10 bore wads, you will have to use conventional 12 bore. I'm a bit out of touch at the moment, but i would of thought any book on reloading would be suitable for lead, for bismuth you could go 1 or 2 grains extra, bismuth being lighter than lead for any given volume.In my day the reloaders bible was

Cartridge loading by David Garard.not sure if it is still in print. hope this is of some use to you. Regards Fennman2.

Hi Lads,

Does anyone out there know where I could get some 12 bore brass 'perfect' type casses to fit my chamberless gun. I am looking for a length of 3 1/2" to 4"

Heare's Hoping. fennman2

you will have to have a cast done of the chamber for any to be made to fit your gun, i know a chap who can do them in brass perfects pm me if you are interested.

• 4 years later...

Er.

CBC Magtrch brass cases are about $25 (or less) for 25, in the USA.

UK prices vary. Tend to be around £25 for a box of 25.

Gave up trying Pete Lawman after YEARS of trying to buy from him, so bought mine mail order from the US

I heard rumours of a Kent RFD that has lots of these CBC cases in all flavours.

Waiting for updates.

Got the RCBS dedicated 12-ga brass shotshell dies. (MAY have a spare mint set, waiting to see if the bloke that wanted them still does)

David Garrard wrote a article in shooting times years ago. He used active cases and plastic wads with a deep over powder section .He produced some good loads.Read something in a American mag about a guy called Stan Baker who Bored barrels out to 800 which is a chamberless gun. He got good results with trap cartridges.That would be a cheap way loading for a chamberless gun.Dipper.

As I understand it, modern cartridges work O.K. in chamberless barrels. Plastic wads after all give satisfactory obturation if you fire 12 bore cartridges in 10 such as an AYA (it can be done).

However anyone wanting to obtain brass cases for a big 12 or larger should speak to Graham Deakin, Midlocharwoods, Ruthwell, Dumfries. GD is an engineer and wildfowler who makes custom cases and also supplies felt and card wads in many different sizes such as for Ralph Grant "8-bores".