ruger 10/22

billm

Just bought 10/22 carbine nice looking rifle, read up on it on the net, had good revues, problem is the accuracy is not so good cant get any better than 4 inch groups at 50 yards using s/s or h/v. using moderator and scope, cant shoot at live quarry with that kind of accuracy, as it is my first rifle don’t know if it is me the gun or the ammo. maybe all three. bit of advice needed please. billm

Sorry lads ment to put this in one of the genral forums, but still need help

Same question as YP. Is it new? If it isn't it may be a duffer. Had a friend that brought a .308 secondhand and it wouldn't hit the side of a barn, from the inside!

Another thing to try is to reset your scope to its central position. Turn it as far as it will go in one direction, then count the clicks to go as far as possible in the other direction. Then, halve the number and set to that - in effect, the factory zeroing position.

Give the whole lot to a mate and see if thay can zero it. If they can, it will be down to something you are doing - or not doing! Nothing you won't fathom out I'm sure.

During the process, choose one type of ammo and stick to it. Changing around will cause you problems, even changes in manufacturer can make a difference.

Hope it gets sorted

PP :blink:

PS If you are fairly local (within 50 miles) I would be happy to visit and lend a hand to sort the problem out.

Thanks for all the help lads, can’t get out till the w/k to try some of it out. The gun is new I fired 350 rounds through it .I measured the holes on the targets last night smallest 3.3/4ins largest was 6.1/8 centre to centre.

If it dose not improve w/k will go back to the gun shop they have a firing range inside, their pretty good hopefully the will sort it out for me. will let you know how I get on.

P.P don’t know where you live, I live IN Cornwall down by Helston, could be a bit far from you mate, but I appreciate the offer. billm

If the rifle is new and your first then its you thats the problem and the only cure is practice, practice and more practice. Learn the rifle its quirks and functions. I use air rifles and when I get a new one I spend hours just wad cutting until I can shoot 9 out of 10 in a 40mm grouping at 40 yards. After sime time you will become so comfortable with the rifle that shooting it will become instinctive. :blink:

Hello lads, tried my rifle out w/k changed the sights and took the moderator of put 300 rounds through it the smallest grouping I got was 3ins at 50 yards as this is my first rifle not sure if this is about average or not. If it is I will keep trying if not will take it back to the shop.bilm

Hello lads, tried my rifle out w/k changed the sights and took the moderator of put 300 rounds through it the smallest grouping I got was 3ins at 50 yards as this is my first rifle not sure if this is about average or not. If it is I will keep trying if not will take it back to the shop.bilm

as said before you should be getting better than this you are shooting rested right? I'd take it back to the guy in the shop let him have a few shots through it and see how he gets on and take it from there...

BillM

My 10/22 was that bad I couldn't hit a cows **** with a handful of peas with the damn thing. I had it bedded x 2, new scope, new trigger, new moderator, tried almost every make of ammo in it and I still could not get better than 1 1/2" at 50yds, **** for rabbits which when I spoke to a ruger expert, thought it was ok :beer::lol::lol: and even then it would throw a round or two in a five shot group.

In a word **** ****can the thing and get another. I got a 10/22 AMT target barrel groups now the same as Redstagg's

Went back to the gunsmiths this morning they have an indoor range 25 meters.

They striped the rifle down then tried it out 1/2ins groups at 25 meters.

I tried it out at 50m, still about 3ins, so it looks like the gun is not that accurate or maybe it is me.

Anyway looks like I will be getting another one, don’t like the idea of wounding a rabbit or anything ells and not being able to find it.

Will carry on with targets for the next week just to make sure it is the rifle and not me.

Going by what has been said on the forum I think it is the rifle. But before I buy another one I will be looking to see what some of you have got and what they are like. It seems as though some of you are using target rifles if so whats the difference weight wise or any thing ells and are they all right for in the field. At the moment mine is a semi auto carbine. billm

BillM

Dont be fobbed off by the gunshop getting 1/2" groups at 25yds that is what would be expected if it was putting in 2" - 3" at 50m the angle of error increases the further out you go or the farther away the target is.

Brno are good rifles, triggers **** but good accurate barrels. The trouble (in my experience) with S/auto on a standard barrel is that it heats up quickly and so WILL effect accuracy. A heavier barrel will reduce this considerably as it takes longer to heat up. For example my old garden stick (cos thats all it was good for) heated up very quickly whereas my AMT can go 30 odd rounds in quick succession before you get any noticable heat difference.

Personally, I would have a bolt action everytime, I do have one but its old and I want a good bolt action as a replacement that is accurate so I too will be watching and learning what the lads have to say on the subject.

Bill m,i have a brno mod 2e not the best gun on the market ,but well made and reliable.When i started shooting it i couldnt get it to group,gave it to my mate to try.He got it spot on,when i tried again it was like a muck spreader.Turns out the problem was me,i was pulling the trigger not squeezing causing me to shoot to the right.Have you tried using a bipod?

10/22 target is heavier but the way I shoot bunnies its not a problem. My bunny combo is a s follows for the daylight consists of 10/22 with 10 shot mag plus small bipod and moderator topped with a hawke 6-24 X 42 ir scope with remington subs knocks um dead at up to 100 yards dead easy! For the twilight hours 10/22 with 25 shot mag 25" swivel harris, moderator with remmy subs or viper hyper velocity for nox's with hawke 6-24 X 42 ir scope topped with tracer pro 400m lamp with rheostat and 17 ah battery, I can't miss !!!!!

Col Pol i could,nt be sold on a semi to start with but after shooting this ruger i had to have it, its more accurate than any bolt gun i have ever seen!